PDA

View Full Version : Just out of flight school - want to fly in the Caribbean or south Pacific

Tender Vittles
11th Jun 2002, 22:53
Hi everybody, my name's Jeremy, just finished a 2-year aviation diploma and am looking for work in the Caribbean or south Pacific.

I have a Canadian fixed-wing CPL and multi-IFR rating (235 hours TT). I have read all the relevant posts in this section and they were very helpful, but I'm just fishing for any more info and advice you all might have.

Thanks in advance!

Canuck Pilot
11th Jun 2002, 23:37
Hey I'm workin' this corner!! Just kidding, good luck!!:cool:

Panama Jack
12th Jun 2002, 01:36
All I can say is, good luck. I honestly believe you have a better chance getting a flying job in Canada than looking around in the warmer climes where more experienced Canuks, Yanks and European pilots are also trying to run away too. Once you get about 1500 hours you stand a chance. Otherwise, you run a risk of getting yourself majorly frustrated and spending all your money on job searches that will bring no results. Perhaps not what you were hoping to hear, but my honest opinion.

B Sousa
16th Jun 2002, 13:55
Above postings for the most part are very true. Schools seem to tell you that now you have a license, go out and conquer the world. Companies will say we want a license and some time.
There are a couple options, one is getting your CFI and having someone else pay for that time, then hopping in the right seat somewhere for bigger time, ie turboprop etc. You may also luck out, and nuzzle up to someone in the corporate world who will get you that right seat time. Either way you will not be overeating for the next few years. Learn to make a fist and pound on doors, best way in this field to get jobs is through friends or be right in some chief pilots face saying "Here I am" There are some previous posts in the last couple weeks, with websites for a lot of Caribbean Carriers.
You never, never finish training, all your flying should be looking to get that ATP.

Good Luck

Tender Vittles
20th Jun 2002, 06:54
Thanks guys, good stuff to think about. I'll probably end up working in Canada for the meantime, but does anybody know if having the right to work in the UK (or protectorates) make me more marketable?

Panama Jack
21st Jun 2002, 19:50
Yes, but only with the licenses and experience. I think there are better opportunities in Europe, however, you need the coveted European license. This is super expensive and, compared to the Canadian requirements, more complicated and time consuming. However, if you are not set on living in Canada the rest of your life, it may be an option. The tough part, pretty much anywhere, is getting the first few hundred hours in.