PDA

View Full Version : Girls can do anything !!!!!

ozziekiwi
6th Jun 2015, 01:08
Yep - girls CAN do anything - sometimes better than us guys !!!!

VIDEO: First Australian female pilot on the verge of worldwide milestone - 9news.com.au (http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/05/31/19/12/first-australian-female-pilot-on-the-verge-of-worldwide-milestone)

:D

CaptCloudbuster
6th Jun 2015, 01:22
What an inspiration to all Pilots both male and female!

Well done to her on an amazing career forged through her own determined will.

In Qantas we have a similar character in Capt Cheryl Quinn. Her story describing the hurdles overcome to be QFs first female Pilot is awe inspiring. Small in stature but huge in character I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to operate under her Command.

You go Girls!:ok:

morno
6th Jun 2015, 01:35
:rolleyes:

Bit of tall poppy syndrome ozziekiwi?

ozziekiwi
6th Jun 2015, 01:49
apologies to all you sensitive guys - just hit the wrong emoticon !!

All Good and yes go girls !! :ok:

cattletruck
6th Jun 2015, 11:20
I think I've flown with her back in the 80's.

An Ansett 727 with an all girl crew lined up with a bit of a crosswind. With throttles up and speed increasing we went for a little excursion to the edge of the runway and back, a bit of a whoopsie moment, but all was good and it was an enjoyable flight to Brisbane.

C441
6th Jun 2015, 11:23
In Qantas we have a similar character in Capt Cheryl Quinn
That would be Sharelle Quinn.....otherwise spot-on!

cocobananas
6th Jun 2015, 11:30
I see Morno is quite the insecure little man......no time for d./#@ks like you!!!

morno
6th Jun 2015, 11:34
Errr, I'm a little confused by your comment coco.

bcgallacher
6th Jun 2015, 12:20
They can't pee out a railway carriage window.

cocobananas
6th Jun 2015, 12:35
Nasty streak got the better of me........I'm sorry morno

Part 121
6th Jun 2015, 13:08
Congrats Deb,

Aviation is much richer as a result of your involvement.

Look forward to hearing you make #1.

:ok::D

john_tullamarine
6th Jun 2015, 13:19
An Ansett 727 with an all girl crew lined up ..

I don't think so. Deb was the senior AN lady at that stage but, if I recall correctly, she was either doing her command or had recently checked out on the 737 at the time we prefer not to mention ... she headed off O/S subsequently.

Thoroughly pleasant person ...

Dora-9
6th Jun 2015, 20:19
jt is correct on both counts. She was command training when 1989 occurred, and she was always a very pleasant person to fly with.

Good to see her still going strong...

Offchocks
7th Jun 2015, 00:14
It was the age when Australia was quite insular in employment practices with them not employing females as pilots, plus of course the age requirements they had for all recruits. (myself included)
Although I do not know Deborah, congratulations on being able to turn the tide for women and of course having a long career. I love the "cranky old man" comment with regards Sir Reginald. Also not a bad plug for Tiger either!

emeritus
7th Jun 2015, 01:11
"Ansett 727 with an all girl crew"

I agree with jt. Never happened. AN never had any women Capts or F/E's (prior to 89 )

According to my logbook I flew with Deb (B727 ) in July of 89.

As I recollect she was a good operator and am not surprised her career panned out the way it has.:ok:

Emeritus

Kubin rock climber
7th Jun 2015, 01:14
On a complimentary note,

Beth Garrett

https://m.facebook.com/royalflyingdoctorservice/photos/a.386802092251.166470.36095862251/10152019426292252/

Global Aviator
7th Jun 2015, 03:06
They can't fly for SIA.......

Skystar320
7th Jun 2015, 04:57
And guys can do anything!!!

Mods - whats the point of this thread... suggest deletion

Pinky the pilot
7th Jun 2015, 09:08
Aww, c`mon Skystar320, Lighten up a bit. :D

The occasional bit of levity on this particular forum is welcome IMHO.

Ultergra
7th Jun 2015, 09:53
Wow. A female pilot.

If your after an award, go elsewhere.

If she's so awesome, who's the longest serving male pilot in Australia.

No one will care.

Sex sells.

junior.VH-LFA
7th Jun 2015, 12:04
If she's so awesome, who's the longest serving male pilot in Australia.

No one will care.

Maybe that's because as a general rule male pilots haven't had to fight in built prejudice and handed down values from previous generations that were a barrier against perusing an aviation career...

A feel good media story about aviation, there is always someone who has to have a sook, yet I bet you'll be the first person to complain when there is a negative story also.

Good on her, no doubt her actions as well as those of her peers have paved the way for many females in their desire to fly.

too_much
7th Jun 2015, 13:48
All those hours and she chooses to fly for Tiger...

Story would have been much better if she flew in Qantas.

No disrespect to tiger pilots but it's hardly the career dream...

Popgun
7th Jun 2015, 15:05
No disrespect to tiger pilots but it's hardly the career dream...

Perhaps not. But it is a job. Not too many 'dream' careers left in this industry.

Especially if you want a job in Australia.

As for a job with QF instead of TT...well even Amelia Earhart or Chuck Yeager would have failed to get a guernsey when there's been no hiring!!! :ugh::ugh:

PG

flyingins
7th Jun 2015, 16:24
Too Much,
She didn't fly for Qantas because she instead rose to very senior ranks in the safety department of KLM and was on the A330 there. You know KLM, right? The oldest continuously operating airline in the world and maybe even an airline of equal repute to Qantas.

She came back to Australia to be home and has held management positions and/ or flown for JQ, JQNZ and Tiger since.

Not every brilliant pilot flies for Qantas and many, many brilliant flying careers don't include that airline.

Many do as well, but take off your blinkers.

Well done, Deb!

too_much
7th Jun 2015, 17:09
Not disputing her CV for a second and I'm sure she has held some excellent positions throughout her career.

I was simply stating the "story" would have been sweeter if it was QF

His dudeness
7th Jun 2015, 17:56
I know a German lady who was a commercial pilot from 1960 to 2004. She had to open her own flightschool/banner towing and air taxi company to get employment.

Biggest airplane she flew was a twotter, providing an internal german airline service, she in fact was the DO and founded that airline for an investor.

Said airline went on to be "Deutsche BA" and is now part of Air Berlin.

She still has the letter from Lufthansa, telling her that female pilots aren`t accepted...

gerago
7th Jun 2015, 19:18
cattletruck

An Ansett 727 with an all girl crew lined up with a bit of a crosswind. With throttles up and speed increasing we went for a little excursion to the edge of the runway and back, a bit of a whoopsie moment, but all was good and it was an enjoyable flight to Brisbane.

Now, now! Your perspective got a lot different...you were no longer in a cockpit, you were in a c**tpit! Things would have all seemed surreal!;)

Shytehawk
7th Jun 2015, 21:40
Gerago

Well done, you have really lowered the tone.

megle2
7th Jun 2015, 23:01
Too Much, why would you consider Qantas to be a dream job
Up to that event we can't refer to, agreed it was
Since then I wouldn't of thought so
These days you'd be fortunate to have a airline jet job with plenty dreaming of just having a chance at any of the carriers
Cream crew at Q, they have just as many duds percentage wise as any other company

In my time this lady will be amounst the leaders of my list of high Aus aviation achievers

morno
8th Jun 2015, 00:49
I fail to see why it would be 'sweeter' if she was at QF :confused:.

Deb is quite a good pilot, having flown with her a bit, so I think it's completely irrelevant where she works.

morno

Lookleft
8th Jun 2015, 01:51
What would have been "sweeter" was if she was made the first female Chief Pilot of a major domestic airline. I wonder whether her battles (and not just females) will be around discrimination based on age? I'm not talking about flying the line but higher levels of management within an airline.

Ozdork
8th Jun 2015, 02:42
FYI, Deb didnt have the seniority for a command at KLM, by the time she left. She certainly did have a command at KLM Cityhopper, and then bid across to F/O on the mighty MD-11, followed by the A-330. If she had stayed she would currently rate a B737 command.

The_Cutest_of_Borg
8th Jun 2015, 14:42
Eileen puts most of us in the shade.

Eileen Collins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eileen_Collins)

Capt Fathom
9th Jun 2015, 03:45
The coveted Space Shuttle endorsement! :E

International Trader
9th Jun 2015, 08:20
So does that mean that , Deb Wardley has the title of being the oldest woman pilot to get an airline command in Australia ?

B772
9th Jun 2015, 13:57
No one can say Deborah has had an easy ride. After resigning in 1989 she reapplied to join Ansett and was unsuccessful due to public comments she made during the dispute.

From memory it was 3.5 years before she was able to secure another airline position. This time with KLM Cityhopper in Amsterdam. During her hiatus from airline flying Deborah had a son (Thomas) who would now be approx. 23 years of age.

Alsacienne
9th Jun 2015, 16:56
Why do I get the feeling that the majority of posters have a 'sour grapes' attitude. Disappointing.:ugh:

Trevor the lover
10th Jun 2015, 19:47
Girl pilots??? "Aaaaww - that's not fair."

(esoterically posted for the 36 squadron boys)

FlexibleResponse
13th Jun 2015, 14:48
My congratulations to Captain Deborah Lawrie for confronting a such a formidable challenge as a young lady which has now resulted in a mindset change for the previously male dominated profession of flight deck crew.

You have been and will continue to be an inspiration for the many young lady aviators that will follow in your footsteps.

mikedreamer787
13th Jun 2015, 22:48
My congratulations to Captain Deborah Lawrie for confronting a such a formidable challenge as a young lady

There were wimmin flogging RPT Herons with Southern Airlines out of Essendon in the early 1950s - before Deb Lawrie was born.

emeritus
14th Jun 2015, 07:29
The women who were with Southern Airlines whilst holding Commercial Licences were employed as Radio Operators/Hostesses and presumably were paid peanuts. That was all that was on offer in those days.

cattletruck
14th Jun 2015, 10:03
Many, many years ago I met a little old lady who used to fly puss moths around the country, later one of her sons became a captain at Ansett Airlines. For a little ol' lady she was quite of a doer and full of interesting stories but through her humbleness felt her achievements were superseded by the onset of the jet age. I really treasured my limited time with her, she really was an inspiring individual who didn't participate in any of the fuss for women's rights, she just got on with doing what she wanted to do and gave a biting retort to anyone foolish enough to get in her way :ok:.

With her it wasn't a case of girls can do anything but more so the right attitude can do anything.

Boy did she really did make an impression on me.

Lookleft
14th Jun 2015, 22:46
There were wimmin flogging RPT Herons with Southern Airlines out of Essendon in the early 1950s - before Deb Lawrie was born.

Thats entirely the point! Why weren't they then allowed to progress their flying up to airlines such as ANA, TAA and Qantas? Deb, through legislation bought in by the government of the day (hint: not Gough and his socially progressive hippies) was able to demonstrate that being a woman was not a barrier to doing the job professionally. Yes there were woman flying RPT but only in the "second tier" of RPT services.

I have had the pleasure of flying with Deb and I could see why Reg was never going to win.

mikedreamer787
15th Jun 2015, 09:21
Because it was in the 1950s Mr Left - when most women worked and then got married and had kids. A lifelong career back then wasn't on the popularity cards for female boppers in the Buddy Holly era.

Lookleft
15th Jun 2015, 10:37
I think you will find that in the 50's most woman were required to stop work once they got married. Teachers, Flight Attendants, Nurses just to name some of the professions. I think Deb would be the first to acknowledge the many female pilots who flew in the 50's but the fact remains Deb was the first female to operate as a pilot at the highest level of Australian aviation.

Capt Fathom
15th Jun 2015, 12:35
operate as a pilot at the highest level of Australian aviation.
So who decided Ansett was the highest level of Australian aviation?

redsnail
15th Jun 2015, 14:01
Maybe he means high capacity RPT?

Lookleft
15th Jun 2015, 22:25
Well Deb did for a start because that's who she applied to.

emeritus
16th Jun 2015, 04:07
While we are on the subject of discrimination I suggest you google 'Len Waters aboriginal RAAF pilot.

It was disgraceful the way he was treated after WW2.

Briefly, he flew 95 missions on Kittyhawks with 78 Sqn. After the war he applied for a CPL as he wanted a career in aviation. DCA refused to grant him a licence.

Seems the RSL weren't interested in helping him out either.

Emeritus

Pinky the pilot
16th Jun 2015, 09:12
It was disgraceful the way he was treated after WW2.

It certainly was!! And if I remember correctly I read of him that he once returned from a flight with an unexploded Japanese 20mm cannon shell lodged in the cockpit right behind his head!:eek::eek:

Not sure of the rest of the story but I seem to recall that for that particular event his CO recommended him for the DFM. (Only Officers got the DFC)

It was not forthcoming.:(:*

Return to subject of thread

Taildragger67
16th Jun 2015, 16:50
It certainly was!! And if I remember correctly I read of him that he once returned from a flight with an unexploded Japanese 20mm cannon shell lodged in the cockpit right behind his head!:eek::eek:

Not sure of the rest of the story but I seem to recall that for that particular event his CO recommended him for the DFM. (Only Officers got the DFC)

It was not forthcoming.:(:*

Return to subject of thread

Right well I think we have a solid candidate for the name of VH-OQM (should it ever arrive).

FlexibleResponse
17th Jun 2015, 14:09
Girls can do anything!

Ms Joy Lofthouse:

VE Day: 92-year-old Second World War veteran flies Spitfire for first time in 70 years - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ve-day-92yearold-second-world-war-veteran-flies-spitfire-for-first-time-in-70-years-10235907.html)

pithblot
18th Jun 2015, 13:37
Surely Christine Davy (http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/handle/10070/217956) has earned a spot on this thread?

Mostly before my time, but I think Christine flew most of the Connair/Connellan Airways fleet including the Beech 18, Heron, DC3 and F27. Wikipedia says she was the first woman to hold an Australian First Class ATPL and that she was a check captain. She was also an Olympic skier.

When Connellans closed she turned her attention to rotary wing and started at the bottom of the pile again, working at Alice Springs.

The only time I met Christine was when someone piped up on the radio one night at Troughton Island advising that the wind had changed direction & I was landing my C310 with a tail wind. It turns out the voice was Christine's and she saved this young pilot the consequences of a fundamental & serious mistake. During our subsequent conversation I found Christine to be gracious, knowledgeable and worth listening to.

IIRC, Christine was a Lloyds Captain flying helicopters in the Timor sea.

pithblot

Thanks emeritus, I'd never heard of Les Waters.