PDA

View Full Version : What are my options?

schaloner
23rd Jul 2001, 13:10
I am short sighted to the tune of -8 in one eye and -9 in the other (approx.), plus I have astigmatism on top of that. I've already discovered that there is no way I'm going to pass a Class 1 medical here in the UK, and so I have two questions:

Firstly, would any of the following countries allow me to gain an ATPL with my current prescription: USA, Canada, NZ or Asutralia?

Secondly, what would be the highest level of pilot's licence I could gain in the UK with my current prescription and what sort of flying work could I get (e.g. could I fly cargo?).

Thanks in advance.

big.al
23rd Jul 2001, 21:49
Sorry to be the bearing of bad tidings but you cannot work in the UK for hire or reward unless you have a Class 1 medical. This includes banner towing, instruction, cargo haul etc.

Class 2 (for pleasure flying - ie. PPL) is a little more lax - check out www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/med/med_information.asp?page=/medical/SRG_MED_jaa_class_2_vision.htm (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/med/med_information.asp?page=/medical/SRG_MED_jaa_class_2_vision.htm) for the low-down on the CAA/JAA class 2 medical (visual) requirements for a PPL. According to this site, the maximum corrective error is -8.00 dioptres including astigmatism, but you could still try getting the Class 2. I would suggest you follow the CAA's advice (for once!) and get a copy of your current eyesight prescription and then call an approved medical examiner to discuss your circumstances before forking out £125 or so for your Class 2. Good luck, but I'm afraid a flying career in the UK is out...
Can't speak for foreign authorities - you may get details off their websites perhaps...

schaloner
24th Jul 2001, 17:44
Thanks for that. Looks like I'm going to have to try a different avenue.