PDA

View Full Version : 21 YEARS AGO

walter kennedy
3rd Jun 2015, 14:35
21 years ago RAF Chinook ZD576 crashed on the Mull of Kintyre:
Despite a clear political motive for that team (the passengers) to be incapacitated, sabotage was ruled out immediately;
In airmanship terms, it had crashed into an isolated low hill, but any objective discussion on navigation was quashed;
Despite there having been ample evidence that the a/c was under control and being held on an intended track right up until the moment of impact, the issue of airworthiness was held up as the only way to clear the pilots’ names and so nothing should detract from that agenda;
Despite that the analysis pointed to an approach using a particular piece of equipment, this was greeted with silence and ridicule despite it being leaked much later that the equipment had been fitted (presumably that it had been classified at the time was the excuse) – this was an example of QED.
The peace process has irrevocably changed the economy and culture of the whole of the island of Ireland and not for the better – some PPRuNers could have helped get the truth out years ago and perhaps stopped the rot over there – you could have defended a significant part of the UK but you let it go – shame.

nonsense
3rd Jun 2015, 16:10
The peace process has irrevocably changed the economy and culture of the whole of the island of Ireland and not for the better

Would you prefer to go back to bombing each other and gunning down innocent (I use the term rather loosely) Australian lawyers on holiday several countries away in the Netherlands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killings_of_Nick_Spanos_and_Stephen_Melrose#The_shooting) in preference to the Celtic Tiger economy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Tiger)?

Every culture changes over time. Twenty years is long enough for real change to happen, and short enough to allow you to believe that real change hasn't happened, it's just that people do things all wrong now. (Remember to blame the teenagers if you haven't had a convenient outbreak of peace and rational behaviour in your society)

charliegolf
3rd Jun 2015, 17:27
Everyone I know (about a dozen) who actually LIVES in NI, assure me that the peace process has made life imeasurably better. Do your friends who live there feel differently Walter?

CG

Always a Sapper
3rd Jun 2015, 18:40
Any chance this thread could get 'moved' over to that great debating forum more commonly known as "ARRSE" .... :ok:

I'm sure a fine debate would then follow :E

(This is in no way to belittle the outstanding service given to the Country and their individual organisations by the Crew & Passengers of ZD576, that they were ALL at the top of their game goes without saying)

eastern wiseguy
3rd Jun 2015, 18:53
Walter ...your last paragraph is bolleaux.

Born ,bred, lived in NI until I married an American and moved here.

I spent ALL of my formative years living through the sectarian "dreams" of others and doing my very best not to get sucked in to it. I switched on the radio every day to hear the daily atrocity. I wondered if I would be fortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time like so many others were.

That is what a lack of a process brought.

Life isn't like that any more. The occasional herd of dinosaurs can be spotted (usually around the marching season and before elections) bellowing their traditional cries of NEVER...but for most people life is greatly improved.

Military activity is minimal compared to when I was an ATCO at Belfast during the 80's and that is a VERY good thing.

No one ...no one with any sense wants to return to the dark days of the past.

As far as "you let it go"...I obviously missed THAT particular news item.

ExAscoteer
3rd Jun 2015, 19:14
I'm from NI and you, sir, are a ******* ****.

As to your comments about the Chinook? Yet again you show yourself to be: a ******* ****.

Go back to whatever asylum it was as let you out.

dervish
3rd Jun 2015, 19:39
To paraphrase the last time I posted a reply to your theory.

The aim was to clear the pilots. Precise cause would have been a bonus but is probably impossible. If this is a memorial thread, keep it as such. Speculate in another place. The facts won the day.

The Old Fat One
3rd Jun 2015, 22:50
If answer a troll, you are responsible for giving them an audience. Think of that before you post in this thread.