PDA

View Full Version : Close encounter over China

Ab Initio
3rd Jun 2015, 14:32
Have to say up front I'm not a pilot. But have spent 30 years as pax enjoying the view out the window. Today I took cx from Shanghai to HK. About 1 hr after t/o at 38,000 in clear sunshine we suddenly rolled to the left and then I saw another ac pass opposite direction very close to our right wing tip at exactly our flight level. How close? My guesstimate was 200 to 300 metres. At first I thought it must be military but as I watched it disappear it looked like a twin engine passenger ac. There was no pa announcement and other pax didn't seem to notice. I've never seen another ac pass so close in all my year. Was what I saw today normal over the mainland?

Cpt. Underpants
3rd Jun 2015, 14:47
"Exactly your level" may not be your level at all. Relative altitudes are notoriously difficult to gauge by eye alone.

An aircraft at your level almost always looks as if it's well above you. Without the benefit of a direct feed from the TCAS, it's impossible to be sure the other aircraft was at your level.

What is most likely the case was a regular turn at a waypoint, or the begiinning of an offset instruction at the precise moment another aircraft passed by, at the opposing level.

TCAS functions from 40nm out - rapid, emergency manoevres are normally rare and generally in the vertical plane.

Good question though, and a keen observation.

TCAS = Traffic Collision Avoidance System

Ab Initio
3rd Jun 2015, 15:13
Thanks Cap Underpants - I see what you mean about judging 'same flight level'. It certainly looked a bit startling.

ozziekiwi
3rd Jun 2015, 15:23
Reminds me of an Air New Zealand paxing flight years ago, from BNE/CHC ON ZK-NBA B767 219 (shows you how long ago that was). The flight was full all classes so myself and an off duty FA were offered the 2 jump seats.

During the flight there were 3 aircraft flying CHC/BNE on the same track flying 1000 feet above us. It was fantastic and I have never forgotten that day, something that the passengers in the cabin would never see !! :D

Cheers all

crwkunt roll
3rd Jun 2015, 15:29
Close encounter of the Turd kind?

Average Fool
3rd Jun 2015, 16:49
Was what I saw today normal over the mainland?

Now there is an interesting question.

Lowkoon
3rd Jun 2015, 22:26
A reasonable question, an exceptional first response, my word, we might be growing up! :ok:

Good to see someone looking out the window or is that a consequence of an inadequate IFE system?

Maybe someone could offer to teach that technique to our new hires?

Hey, someone had to turn it into a company/cadet bashing thread, or it just wouldn't be pprune!!!

Genuinely though, a great response Capt. UP.