PDA

View Full Version : Engines and data plates

Squawk7700
3rd Jun 2015, 00:37
This question is for the smart ones here.... Probably more for a maintenance section, but I'm too scared to post there as I'm not an engineer :oh:

Scenario:

You have an old engine that you've decided you don't want to rebuild. You send that engine (complete with data plate) to a company that sells engines, such as Lycoming for example. You instruct the engine mob that you want to use your old starter motor and carburettor, but throw away the rest of the engine (to save on costs - let's just say that starters and carbies are very expensive).

Can the engine mob simply provide a brand new engine, complete with a newly issued data plate and ship it to you complete with your old starter motor fitted?

So the issue is.... does the fact that I gave them a starter motor and carby off an old engine, mean that the new engine must live on into history with the OLD engine data plate?

This is an Australian specific question.

In my mind, this is the exact opposite of the scenario where it is conceivably possibly to "build" an entirely brand new Mustang aircraft around a data plate that I found lying in a desert somewhere.

dubbleyew eight
3rd Jun 2015, 13:27
this is the problem with the new regs. no one even understands the straightforward stuff any more.

the starter and the carby are accessories on the engine.

the engine is basically the crankcase, cylinders and all the rotating and moving parts within. the data plate is fastened on one side of the crankcase.

IF the parts on the old engine were serviceable and had usable life left they could be put on a new engine.

but stop being stupid and have some sanity.
if you are going to the effort of a new engine do yourself a favour and start off with all new components.

do you guys even have the remotest idea on fatigue life ?????

EEngr
3rd Jun 2015, 15:43
IF the parts on the old engine were serviceable and had usable life left they could be put on a new engine.Traceability might be an issue as well. If the parts have their own serial numbers then they probably can be re-used on a new engine.

Squawk7700
3rd Jun 2015, 22:51
but stop being stupid and have some sanity.
if you are going to the effort of a new engine do yourself a favour and start off with all new components.

do you guys even have the remotest idea on fatigue life ?????

Take it easy :ugh:

This could relate to rocker covers or any component... it's the legalities behind it that are the issue.

onetrack
4th Jun 2015, 00:09
In other areas besides aviation, engine identification is defined by what the motor trade defines as a "short motor". This is the basic engine - the block, crankshaft, bearings, conrods and pistons and rings - but no head or heads, or any engine accessories.
When you purchase a reconditioned short motor for a road vehicle, it comes with a new engine serial number and that new S/N has to be advised to registration authorities.

However, aviation rules and laws operate in a substantially different fashion to the rules and laws of road vehicles - and I would be very surprised if an aircraft engine manufacturer would accede to a request to fit used accessories to a completely new engine block, and then be expected to certify that engine fitted with used accessories, as a complete brand new engine.

For aircraft, engine accessories are regarded as critical engine items, with an operating lifespan that is in line with the major engine components such as crankshaft and pistons and rings.
Thus, fitting a used carburettor or a used starter motor to an otherwise new basic engine would be viewed as on a par with fitting used pistons and rings, and the engine would in no way be viewed as befitting a new engine data plate.