PDA

View Full Version : Zero Fuel Weight CG

Trevelyan1975
2nd Jun 2015, 12:46
Hi...

I work as a Load Control. We have A330/A340 's in our fleet. Our management has now introduced << CG Planning Percentage within the ideal range ( Trim ) >>
This is in a chart format where each flight is analyzed and a report generated with stats end of each month as to how the aircraft's have been loaded during that particular month.

May I know if an aircraft loaded with AFT heavy would really contribute on fuel saving.

My understanding is that, an air plane having a trim tank will always steady the A/C to its best pitch and thereby do its part of optimizing fuel saving.

Appreciate you expert comments on this please ?

Thanks !

ozziekiwi
2nd Jun 2015, 13:36
Greetings Trevelyan from down under;)

In my days of Weight and Balance we always had it drummed into us
that an AFT trim will always save fuel, but I am sure that you know that.

Mind you that was back in the days of the DC-8, B707, B747-100 and the DC-10. I always found the B707 in particular to be a pain when completing the load sheet as to whether the fuel was standard or non standard.

We had a QF B707 driver who was fascinated to come to our port because it was the only 'steam driven loadsheet on the QF network' as he called it.

Bless him !!!!!:ok:

ManaAdaSystem
2nd Jun 2015, 13:49
Tail heavy saves fuel.

In general, an aircraft in flight needs some downforce from the stabilizer. This creates drag = increased fuel consumption. So, more cargo in the aft sections = less drag = less fuel consumption.

safelife
2nd Jun 2015, 14:53
A330 and A340 are equipped with a trim tank in the stabilizer, and will pump fuel aft once airborne to archive an optimum CG.
Unless the aircraft is loaded really forward it won't make much of a difference, just during the time the trim tank is empty (mostly the last two hours of the flight).

Trevelyan1975
2nd Jun 2015, 16:34
Many thanks for your clarifications.