PDA

View Full Version : ZFW CG

Trevelyan1975
1st Jun 2015, 16:01
Hi...

I work as a Load Control. We have A330/A340 's in our fleet. Our management has now introduced << CG Planning Percentage within the ideal range ( Trim ) >>
This is in a chart format where each flight is analyzed and a report generated with stats end of each month as to how the aircraft's have been loaded during that particular month.

May I know if an aircraft loaded with AFT heavy would really contribute on fuel saving.

My understanding is that, an air plane having a trim tank will always steady the A/C to its best pitch and thereby do its part of optimizing fuel saving.

Appreciate you expert comments on this please ?

Thanks !

Capt Wannabe
3rd Jun 2015, 21:35
For certain aircraft types there are very demonstrable and considerable savings by having a more AFT CofG. I know this is certainly the case on most Boeings but my understanding is the savings are not as massive on Airbus aircraft.

However, I would be surprised if someone has gone to all this trouble if there is not a clear benefit. From figures I have seen in the past it is well worth the effort, and there is certainly much more focus on this and using it as a measure of individual load-controller performance (naturally in conjunction with other factors).

Trevelyan1975
16th Sep 2015, 13:24
Hi...

My company says that as Load Controllers we need to focus on TAKE OFF CG instead of ZERO FUEL WEIGHT CG. Not sure if this is correct. They want us to achieve an AFT CG based on the TAKEOFF WEIGHT.Appreciate if anyone could elaborate on this please ? Thanks !

handler
16th Sep 2015, 14:14
Here is a link to an airbus Optimum CG position presentation (http://www.theairlinepilots.com/forumarchive/flightplanning/optimumcg.pdf) you might find useful

Trevelyan1975
17th Sep 2015, 03:26
Thanks ! It is really useful... I understand that an AFT TOCG helps better takeoff performance.

SMT Member
28th Sep 2015, 12:56
Hi...

My company says that as Load Controllers we need to focus on TAKE OFF CG instead of ZERO FUEL WEIGHT CG. Not sure if this is correct. They want us to achieve an AFT CG based on the TAKEOFF WEIGHT.Appreciate if anyone could elaborate on this please ? Thanks !

You can try, but in my opinion you are being short changed by your management. The 'only' thing a load-controller has under his or her control, is the ZF weight and trim. Fuel added after that is under the jurisdiction of flight crew and dispatcher.

Therefore it is not fair to benchmark a load-controller and measure against peers based on TOW CG, as the flights he/she handles may vary considerably from his/her colleagues, and in the end it's all down to the skipper wanting a bit more motionlotion or not. For a long-haul flight, by the time the skipper get the latest weather and decides on a few more tonnes, as the bowser hasn't quite disconnected yet, there is little to no chance of changing the load plan.

ZFW CG is where it's at.