PDA

View Full Version : 'Free Win 10 upgrade?'

mmitch
1st Jun 2015, 10:33
A link appeared on my toolbar this morning offering a free upgrade to Windows 10. 'This is a limited offer for a full upgrade not a trial.'
Is this genuine or a scam? I haven't downloaded anything yet.
mmitch.

highflyer40
1st Jun 2015, 10:49
I got the same thing!! And thought the same thing, is this a scam. Decided not as it just asks for email address to register and nothing else, and it appeared just after a windows update.

boguing
1st Jun 2015, 11:21
A link appeared on my toolbar this morning offering a free upgrade to Windows 10. 'This is a limited offer for a full upgrade not a trial.'
Is this genuine or a scam? I haven't downloaded anything yet.
mmitch.

It is genuine.

Windows 10 release date: Microsoft offers free upgrade from July 29 - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/11642775/Windows-10-free-to-download-from-July-29.html)

mmitch
1st Jun 2015, 12:15
Many thanks.
mmitch.

BEagle
1st Jun 2015, 13:29
You can hide the icon by using the 'customize' option.

The Microsoft update responsible for this irritating nag is KB3035583. I deleted it from my Win8.1 device without difficulty, but when I tried to delete it from my Win7SP1 device, it hung up on the 'Preparing to Configure Windows, Please do not turn off your computer' until I lost patience and did a hard shut down and reboot. Not something I would recommend, but I didn't have any real option.

When I finally had my computer back again, it was still there, but hadn't 'installed'. So I'm just keeping it as a 'hidden update' as, having read about Windows 10, I do not want it as it will remove various Win7 features......

If you keep KB3035583, it will probably give you further nags as 29th July approaches.....:uhoh:

finfly1
1st Jun 2015, 14:15
I simply clicked to open the bunch of hidden icons and slid the win 10 right from the toolbar and out of sight.

I like 7 and don't know whether I want ten or not. No longer have urge to be first with new gadgets.

Groucho
1st Jun 2015, 15:09
"I do not want it as it will remove various Win7 features......"

Google suggests dual-booting?

Rwy in Sight
2nd Jun 2015, 16:22
MS has the following page which might be worth to take a look

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade?OCID=win10_null_vanity_win10upgrade)

I loved the notion our lawyers made us to say that.

Rwy in Sight

Keef
2nd Jun 2015, 20:36
From what I've read, Win 10 removes some features that are standard in Win 7, and also removes the option to decide which updates to install (unless you are using one of the upmarket versions).

I'm not sure whether I care about the disappearing features; I'm not happy about automatic updates because I've had to deal with some broken ones (there STILL isn't, as far as I know, a recent competent driver for my nVidia card - I'm using one that's two or so years old. Every batch of updates strongly recommends updating, but I find it hard to work on a black screen with black writing).

I'll wait for the reviews of Win 10. If it does any of the silliness that Win 8 perpetrated, I'll be sticking with Win 7.

G-CPTN
2nd Jun 2015, 23:03
From what I've read, Win 10 removes some features that are standard in Win 7, and also removes the option to decide which updates to install (unless you are using one of the upmarket versions).

I'm not happy about automatic updates because I've had to deal with some broken ones (there STILL isn't, as far as I know, a recent competent driver for my nVidia card - I'm using one that's two or so years old. Every batch of updates strongly recommends updating, but I find it hard to work on a black screen with black writing).

I (very recently) had an Intel update that totally disabled the touchpad.

I was staying with my son who is 'qualified' in IT (and has worked extensively therein).

Even with his experience (and referring to the internet on his iPad) it took a while (and a separate mouse) to undo the update (resorting to 'Restore' in the end).

If I had been at home I would have been stuffed!

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-ES1-111M-mousepad-problem-solved/td-p/361123

The driver wouldn't roll-back so it had to be 'restore'.

ExSp33db1rd
3rd Jun 2015, 00:00
The Windows 10 promo video told me nothing, 'cept a lot of hype about things I have no need for, but ......... whilst I will leave Win 7 on our desktop, I did register for Win 10 on the laptop, may or may not take up the offer, but I reckon it gives me the option, and as the laptop uses Win H'eight I don't have a lot to lose - do I ?

Biggles78
4th Jun 2015, 16:00
So I'm just keeping it as a 'hidden update' as, having read about Windows 10, I do not want it as it will remove various Win7 features..
You are a very smart and wise man Mr BEagle and no sir I am not being facetious. Most don't think about Win10 being an Upgrade. That means if after your "free" upgrade from Win7, 8 or 8.1 your HDD crashes or file corruption means it is no longer usable, you will have to reinstall your original operating system and then, if you are still within the "free" 1 year upgrade period, do Windows 10 all over again.

Now the big problem is that unless you have physical Recovery Media for your original operating system you will need to obtain a copy from your hardware vendor OR purchase an installation copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft.

I too shall be staying with Windows 7 for as long as possible. Windows 10 from what I have learnt from playing with the Preview versions appears to be heading in the Apple direction in that they seem to be wanting to lock you down and control what you can do with the hardware you purchase. This is not an Apple bash but from what I understand from their Terms & Conditions, not only do you pay a licence to use their software, it now looks like you pay a licence to use the hardware as well. This is the hardware that you paid quite a bit of dosh for. Microsoft looks to be heading in the same direction.

le Pingouin
5th Jun 2015, 11:32
While I wouldn't call this an official MS communication it sounds promising:

"Gabe Aul, an engineering general manager for Microsoft’s operating systems group, said in a tweet (https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/605899873360019457) that people who upgrade a device to Windows 10 during the first year of its existence will be able to perform a clean reinstall of Windows 10 on the same device “any time.” It’s good news for upgraders who are concerned about what will happen to their devices a year after its July 29 launch.
Also, people won’t need to hold onto their Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 product key in order to perform the restoration. Their devices will reactivate themselves after being upgraded to Windows 10, Aul said." (https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/605900073277325312)

Windows 10 upgrade will allow clean installs on the same device for free | PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2931492/windows-10-upgrade-will-allow-clean-installs-on-the-same-device-for-free.html)

Tiger_mate
21st Jun 2015, 13:28
If like me you are cursed with Windows 8 on your PC, you may be pleased to know that next to your clock on the bottom menu bar you will see the x4 white boxes of the Microsoft logo.

For a limited period only; you can via clicking MS badge bank a free upgrade to Windows 10 in July. The key word is 'Free'.

Otherwise you will incur a charge of £99 if you want shot of Windows 8.

Apologies for drifting off the aviation theme, but if like me you despise W8 this will be good news, and I only found out because of advice given by someone in the IT business.

JFZ90
21st Jun 2015, 13:52
Is there a catch?

Is Windows 10 moving towards a subscription pay scheme, like office?

Pontius Navigator
21st Jun 2015, 14:00
Win 10 was supposed to be free fir a year and subscription free for those that upgrade. I saw this reaffirmed last week.

NutLoose
21st Jun 2015, 14:04
Same for windows 7

VinRouge
21st Jun 2015, 14:19
Catch is you get to Beta test windoZe 10 for free...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
21st Jun 2015, 14:36
Everything on my Win7 PC works.
After 15 minutes of searching, I cannot find a single good reason to change to Win10.
I do not need compatibility with phones, tablets, etc.
I have several programs I used for robot design/interfacing which I cannot guarantee will be Win10 compatible.

I was obliged for work to use a Win8 laptop for 2 months - if I had still had access to nukes, Redmond would have been a glowing hole in the ground.

Can anyone give me a good reason to upgrade?

glad rag
21st Jun 2015, 15:07
Coughs

The leading OS for PC, tablet, phone and cloud | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/)

never looked back since installing it.

Machine runs fine and despite the fact that it's almost a DECADE old; well it's very quick!!

However I can understand that it's not for everyone.

Kitbag
21st Jun 2015, 15:12
Yep agree with GR re Ubuntu, and variations thereof, even my old eee seems fast

Tiger_mate
21st Jun 2015, 15:13
If I had Windows 7, I would probably stay put - but Windows 8 is a royal PIA and I cannot get rid quick enough. I see the free upgrade as being as close to an admission by MS of a c0ck-up as anyone is ever going to get.

airpolice
21st Jun 2015, 16:50
We are still selling Windows 7 Pro machines, new from Dell with 3 year next business day, on site, warranty. Why anyone would buy Windows 8 is beyond me.

If MS don't get a grip real soon, Win7 might be the last version of windows with a big user footprint. They are driving businesses and people away, and Apple might just be the next big thing.

The two main drivers for retaining windows are:

Familiarity and the ability to run applications like SAGE.

New user interfaces make the next Windows as foreign as an Apple device so there's no difference between learning Apple or learning new Windows.

With multi OS development languages coming on stream and more web based applications, the strangle hold of windows is being broken.

Rosevidney1
21st Jun 2015, 18:45
Hmmmm decisions, decisions. Try Windows 10 in beta 'for free' or bite the bullet and cough up for an Apple Mac?

tmmorris
21st Jun 2015, 18:50
That link isn't for a Beta, it's for the full release version on Jul 29. You can get the beta version already.

JFZ90
21st Jun 2015, 19:02
As someone on Windows 8.1, I probably have little to loose, but do fear that whilst the software may always work on my current machine, things like security updates may become a) unavoidable to take, and b) not free, and subject to e.g. a new annual subscription service.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/04/01/subscription-model.aspx

"windows 365" trademark has been registered, noting it might be for defensive purposes only.

interesting times, a subs based model would annoy me enough to make me go elsewhere.

TWT
21st Jun 2015, 23:15
I have a laptop with W7 and another,secondary one,with W8.1

I installed 'Classic Shell' on the W8.1 laptop and now it works just like the W7 unit.

Not a problem for me.If I had tried to persevere with the original MS 8.1 layout then I would also be tearing my hair out.

seacue
22nd Jun 2015, 11:34
JFZ90a subs based model would annoy me enough to make me go elsewhere.

You could go to OpenOffice, as I have done. It includes a text editor, spreadsheet, slide-preparation / presentation, etc. All compatible with MS and OO runs on the various incarnations of Windows, Apple, and Linux. Known to work on Win XP, 7 and 8/8.1, as well as OS X and Ubuntu/Mint Linux. I can show you OO* running on all these.

Its user interface doesn't change every time there is a wind-shift at Redmond.

And it's free.

* Ubuntu/Mint use LibreOffice, which is a 100% clone.

Groucho
22nd Jun 2015, 11:48
It's good, but not right. For example, it still does not seem to handle PDF files properly eg it does not 'recognise' pdf click options eg check/text boxes.

mixture
22nd Jun 2015, 13:14
"windows 365" trademark has been registered, noting it might be for defensive purposes only.

It's worth noting that Microsoft have been going cloud-heavy .... Azure, Office365, Skype for Business (rebranding of Lync), so I suspect Windows following is inevitable.

Also note Terry Myerson, chief of Microsoft’s operating system group, said shortly around the time of the trademark filing: “With Windows 10, we think of Windows as a service. Windows 10 is so much more than the latest version of Windows. Windows 10 changes the rules of the game and redefined the relationship between us and our customers.”

However Microsoft no doubt know what side their bread is buttered, and I'm not entirely sure we'll be seeing a wholesale shift to subscription Windows just yet.

Saab Dastard
22nd Jun 2015, 18:05
I'm not entirely sure we'll be seeing a wholesale shift to subscription Windows just yet.

I asked MS representatives precisely that question at a recent event in London where Windows 10 was being showcased, and the response was a definite no to a subscription model for consumers for Windows 10, although they didn't say that it would never happen.

There is already a subscription model in place, in a sense, for corporates with a select / volume agreement with software assurance, where the subscription component allows upgrading to the latest version.

Contrast that to the consumer model, where MS provides updates and service packs, but to upgrade to the next version costs ££ (present give-away excepted!).

While MS do seem to want to push all important updates & patches out to consumers without option, apparently, this won't include the next release of Windows. Whether the mandatory update push is the precursor to a subscription model for the next OS, only time will tell.

SD

bnt
25th Jun 2015, 11:52
I kind-of see where Microsoft is coming from here. Supporting older versions such as XP and Vista is taking up resources that could be better spent elsewhere.
- XP is officially dead and M$ will pretty much ignore you if you're still on that.
- Vista is dying, which is no less than it deserves.

Windows 7 took years to establish a foothold in the corporate world, and businesses are in no hurry to change again so "soon". (Microsoft's definitions of terms like "recent" and "old" are not the same as those used in the corporate world of "change control"!)

For "consumers", on the other hand, it's in M$'s interest to get them on Windows 10. If they do it right, the reasons why people held off from Windows 8 won't be a problem. The new Start menu is a hybrid of old and new: it appears to suit the hunt-and-peck user and the Win 7/8 "Windows key, start typing" method I've gotten used to by now.

I'm waiting to see how they cater for the granny who got a XP PC back in 2005 and only needs it for email with the grandkids and a spot of browsing. It's an "appliance", why should she spend any more time or money on an "upgrade" she never asked for?

Pelikal
25th Jun 2015, 12:56
I have a laptop running Windows 7 and a 7" tablet running 8.1. I think I'll leave the laptop as it is.

On the tablet I can't see any windows icon related to 'Get Windows 10'. Just wondering where I should be looking!! (no keyboard attached to the tablet, if that makes a difference).

dazdaz1
25th Jun 2015, 13:44
Pelikal....... "On the tablet I can't see any windows icon related to 'Get Windows 10'. Just wondering where I should be looking!! (no keyboard attached to the tablet, if that makes a difference)."

Don't want to burst your bubble, you must remember a tablet is NOT a computer, in the sense of a laptop or pc capabilities. Your 8.1 Windows op would be a 'cut down' version designed for a tablet. I doubt Windows 10 (cut down software) will not be available for maybe eight/twelve months at best.

mixture
25th Jun 2015, 13:50
Pelical,

If its smaller than 8 inches, Microsoft don't want anything to do with it. :E

That might be your problem, maybe combined with some of what dazdaz says.

Pelikal
25th Jun 2015, 13:53
dazdaz1, cheers for that!! No bubbles burst!:O

boguing
25th Jun 2015, 14:41
Gosh, the ms bashers are out in force.

Win 10 is aimed at everything. Windows 'proper' will work on everything down to 8". Yes, everything. Quite how it will work on Win7 devices I don't know, but at the moment it looks promising.

Below 8", contrary to opinions expressed earlier, is Windows 10 Phone. Which is, as near as possible to the full version. It is also to be launched this year.

From what I've heard from beta testers, it is truly impressive in the way that all Win devices talk to each other. You will be able to run full, proper Office on your 'phone.

MS have been left standing in that respect, but seem to have more than caught up.

It also fits loosely into the 'make one good one and then one terrible one' that MS seems to have as a proven track record.

Oh, and. It's free.

notjustanotherpilot
26th Jun 2015, 03:52
There are some basic minimum requirements (as always) for 10 to be offered up in the free giveaway. If your device doesn't meet those specs you won't get the little icon inviting you to "the party".
Here is what MS says Windows 10 Specifications ? Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-10-specifications)
And here is a bit of a Q & A Windows 10 FAQ & Tips ? Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_context)
I had the icon pop up on my desktop unit, but it wasn't showing up on my laptop, which as far as I could see met the specs as per what it says in that above link. It wasn't until I had downloaded an insider preview image and started loading it on the laptop that it then came up and said it couldn't continue because the processor didn't have NX capability, which wasn't stated anywhere obviously in the required specs.
So if there is something that doesn't meet specs, you won't get the invite to the party.

Bushfiva
26th Jun 2015, 05:18
NX, SSE2 and PAE are also requirements for Windows 8/8.1. Intel started shipping compliant CPUs in 2004, a little after AMD. So I'm guessing your notebook is quite old.

notjustanotherpilot
26th Jun 2015, 14:24
He, he, he.
What ever makes you think that!:O
Yes, by most standards it is indeed. However it seems to be running 7 SP1 within reason for most all I need, which isn't a lot. Certainly nothing processor or graphics intensive.
I bought it new with XP home on it and a 40GB HDD and 256meg RAM just about 10 years ago.
I have since put in a 160GB HDD and stacked it up to the limit of 2GB RAM. Other than those increases I have only bought another battery as the original doesn't last long - not that it really lasted very long when it was new (by current standards). It is not my main PC.

N707ZS
28th Jul 2015, 15:19
Some weeks ago a little flag appeared on my control panel saying register for a totally free upgrade to Windows 10.

Any views anyone? Go for it or stick in the past with windows 7?

Alsacienne
28th Jul 2015, 15:33
I believe it's valid for a year .... but I'm watching and waiting like you!

Avitor
28th Jul 2015, 15:41
In less than 2 years 7 will not be supported, I have 'Ordered' 10 just to see what happens.

spannersatcx
28th Jul 2015, 19:25
it starts arriving tomorrow!

Saab Dastard
28th Jul 2015, 21:23
In less than 2 years 7 will not be supported, I have 'Ordered' 10 just to see what happens.

I'm not sure where you got the date from, but the actual End of Extended Support date for Win 7 is Jan 14 2020. It's already out of Mainstream support (Jan 2015), but security patches will continue for the next 4.5 years.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows%207

It's a while away yet, relax.

SD

SamYeager
29th Jul 2015, 13:51

Vista support expires in 2017 whereas 7 support expires in 2020.

IBMJunkman
29th Jul 2015, 17:44
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

N707ZS
29th Jul 2015, 18:05
Took a look at it and got a reply something like this.

NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10.

Does it mean I need a touch screen monitor?

KBPsen
29th Jul 2015, 18:29
No, it means your graphics card is old and probably lacking a driver.

ricardian
29th Jul 2015, 21:22
If you want Windows 10 right now then there's a legitimate Microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) from which you can install Windows 10

ricardian
30th Jul 2015, 10:55
Now running Windows 10. Painless change-over from Windows 8.1

rgbrock1
30th Jul 2015, 12:21
Same here ricardian. I have Win 10 running on my MSI CX61 laptop and the upgrade from Win 8.1 to 10 was smooth and hiccup free!

ExXB
30th Jul 2015, 12:24
Now is the time for all Windows 10 adopters to say "Thank you Steve for leading the industry in Free System Software updates".

Good on MS for following Apple, yet again, I hope it works for them.

:p:p:p:p

rgbrock1
30th Jul 2015, 12:30
ExXB:

So very true. Although I am the owner of the aforementioned MSI laptop, the amount of Apple gadgets at home is, according to the Mrs. anyway, outrageous.
(To include the new 27" iMac Retina which I got my hands on not too long ago.)

Kitbag
30th Jul 2015, 18:22
Now is the time for all Windows 10 adopters to say "Thank you Steve for leading the industry in Free System Software updates".

Good on MS for following Apple, yet again, I hope it works for them.

Be fair, they are both following the vision of Linus Torvalds who set out to develop free open source software (Linux).

One Outsider
30th Jul 2015, 21:26
Now is the time for all Windows 10 adopters to say "Thank you Steve for leading the industry in Free System Software updates".When having to pay through the nose for the hardware the software updates ain't free. You are just being charged up front.

ExXB
31st Jul 2015, 07:01
Well, they wanted to charge thousands for an upgrade to Windows 9. So much that nobody bought it!

:p:p:p:p:p;)

sitigeltfel
31st Jul 2015, 10:11
I had registered for the upgrade and have just received this from Microsoft..

Your notification to upgrade could come as soon as a few days or in a few weeks. :hmm:

Kitbag
31st Jul 2015, 11:19
I have one machine upgraded without any major issues (did need to fix the trackpad driver), and a second machine which is still waiting for the download to start. I guess MS must have some form of priority list?

KBPsen
31st Jul 2015, 11:44
I guess MS must have some form of priority list? It's being rolled out in stages. I'd imagine that there are millions who have registered for the update.

izod tester
31st Jul 2015, 12:14
I downloaded the iso images for both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions yesterday so that I could update my machines at the time of my choosing. Currently, updating an old spare 32 bit machine to evaluate the process and the result.

Downloading the images from Microsoft was no problem at all - there were no bandwidth issues.

rgbrock1
31st Jul 2015, 13:43
I had registered for the upgrade and have just received this from Microsoft..

:hmm:

Not to be dismayed. If you do a search on "Windows 10 iso" you will eventually find a web page, on MS's servers, where you can download the upgrade directly without having to wait.

Here's the link:

Windows 10 ISO (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO)

G0ULI
31st Jul 2015, 23:43
Upgraded my HP laptop a couple of days ago from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The entire process including download took about three hours from start to finish and was fairly straightforward. In fact, if you select the default options for everything, it is entirely straightforward, but then you authorise Microsoft to essentially monitor everything you do on your computer for ever.

Take a little time to check the small print on the settings screen, do you really want your computer tracked so that geographically appropriate adverts can be displayed? Do you really want copies of everything uploaded to the cloud? Do you really want all your enquiries to be logged and analysed to provide quicker and more specific responses to your queries?

If you have a Windows phone, tablet and PC, then upgrading to Windows 10 makes absolute sense and enables all of your devices to synchronise files.

If you are running Windows 7 the case for upgrading is less clear cut. You will need to obtain a third party media player to burn and play DVDs and CDs and commercial programs are not particularly cheap. The well loved solitaire programs are replaced by new versions which are less attractive to use in my opinion. If you have copies of the files from an older version of Windows, they can be copied and pasted into the appropriate directories of Windows 10 and they will still run. Esentially the cards.dll file is copied to the system directory and the sol.exe file and other solitaire game files you want to the program file directory and just make a shortcut to sol.exe (and other games) from the desktop.

All the other programs and files you have installed in your computer remain unaffected and just work as usual once you have completed the upgrade.

You may need to download new graphics driver files before Windows 10 will invite you to upgrade, provided you have the little Windows flag in the toolbar at the foot of the screen. I had to download the new screen drivers before the Windows update message moved passed the you will be notified when your update becomes available stage.

So if you are running Windows 8, upgrade immediately and lose that annoying jump into the tiled screen from the desktop everytime you move the mouse to the top right of the screen. Worth it just for that.

Windows 7, Meh! Probably best to just carry on using that, unless you need some Windows 10 feature.

This is by some margin the least eventful update I have done with a Microsoft operating system and I have been through every one since DOS 3.0 including Windows 286!

Bushfiva
1st Aug 2015, 02:09
Re DVD & CDs: Win 10 will burn and play data DVDs & CDs. Via the media player, it will burn audio CDs. This is the same as Win 7 and Win 8/8.1. In a near-future update, it will play video DVDs (on most versions of Win 10). The only thing I think it cannot do is create and burn a video DVD. There are free tools that will take care of that part.

Capn Bloggs
1st Aug 2015, 05:43
Thanks Gouli and Bushfiva: good info there. :D

KBPsen
1st Aug 2015, 11:12
In fact, if you select the default options for everything, it is entirely straightforward, but then you authorise Microsoft to essentially monitor everything you do on your computer for ever. For ever!. That sounds dramatic.

The fact is that all the options available under 'customize settings' during installation are also available in the 'privacy' menu after installation.

G0ULI
1st Aug 2015, 14:13
KBPsen

Apologies for the dramatic licence, but how many people mess about with the settings once the computer is up and running?

Windows 10 is not dissimilar to the Apple operating systems in its requirements for personal data to enable all the features. People seem happy enough with their personal details and browsing habits being monitored by Apple,
Google, Facebook, etc., so why not Microsoft?

What does give rise to some concern is that around 90% of all the computers in the world are running Microsoft Windows in some form. The collected data will potentially put Microsoft in an unassailable position of power and influence in determining what can be done on your computer, what search results are returned, what websites you access, whether any of your stored documents are "suspicious", who you communicate with, etc., etc. How Microsoft uses this data and whether it is shared with any government agencies now or in the future is what I find worrying.

Of course I have nothing to hide except my banking records, health records, personal contacts, business contacts, commercially sensitive product development information and future business plans...

Bushfiva
1st Aug 2015, 14:32
You could use something like Cloudfogger to encrypt the cloud-based copies of your files. There are several other products, some which only support Dropbox. You could also choose a cloud provider that, say, doesn't store your data within the US, or which uses its own encryption driver using keys you generate, such as Mega (though that's got problems with speed).

Alternatively, you could set up your own VPN using something like NeoRouter, then sync machines across that using any of a number of tools such as AllwaySync or the OS' own sync tools.

As with all these things, the more you secure your data, the less useful some of the social tools become

KBPsen
1st Aug 2015, 15:20
how many people mess about with the settings once the computer is up and running?I don't know, do you? I would imagine it's a lot more than are messing around with the settings during installation.

Windows 10 is not dissimilar to the Apple operating systems in its requirements for personal data to enable all the features.I have switched off most things in the privacy settings. Perhaps you could tell me which features I'm missing out on, as I haven't noticed any yet.

People seem happy enough with their personal details and browsing habits being monitored by Apple, Google, Facebook, etc., so why not Microsoft?I thought you'd said certainly not. Are you now saying why not?

What does give rise to some concern is that around 90% of all the computers in the world are running Microsoft Windows in some form. The collected data will potentially put Microsoft in an unassailable position of power and influence in determining what can be done on your computer, what search results are returned, what websites you access, whether any of your stored documents are "suspicious", who you communicate with, etc., etc. How Microsoft uses this data and whether it is shared with any government agencies now or in the future is what I find worrying.Wow.

Bushfiva
1st Aug 2015, 23:51
Wow.I guess I'm kinda with Goudi on this one, though not singling out Microsoft in particular. Some of the three-digit agencies probably can't believe their luck that companies are moving their commercially-sensitive data to the cloud. It's the same windfall as when fax machines were introduced.

Japanese Government was, and maybe still is, using Googledocs for its stuff. How bat**** crazy is that, especially now we know all its phones have been targeted for many years.

Sometimes it's OK to be a little bit paranoid. If you want something to be secure, you need to do it yourself.

Edit: *thinks* Lordy, Edge needs an ad blocker on this site. Then rediscovers the "PPRuNe no ads style" setting.
Editdit: Goudi > Gouli

KBPsen
2nd Aug 2015, 09:36
You're kinda not. When you think that MS is planning to take over your computer and the internet, you're not just a little paranoid. You're in the bat**** crazy category.

G0ULI
2nd Aug 2015, 16:59
MS may not have any intention of taking over the internet and controlling vast numbers of computers, but repressive governments around the world have no such morals. Those of us fortunate enough to live in notional democracies have no guarantee that our assumed freedoms might not disappear overnight given sufficient provocation.

Edward Snowden has demonstrated that even democratic government organisations do not always play by the rules.

Windows 10 does collect more information about its users than previous Windows software. How that information might be used is worthy of consideration. For the vast majority of users, I suspect it won't matter a jot. Those living under repressive regimes probably already take precautions.

That said, Windows 10 is a great upgrade and vastly superior to Windows 8.

tow1709
3rd Aug 2015, 14:10
I upgraded my HP (15-n096sa) laptop from 8.1 to 10 without any issues, and it seems mostly fine so far.

The only problem is that now when I shut the laptop lid, it goes to sleep (yes, I checked this is what it is supposed to do), but it won't wake up whatever I do when I reopen the lid. I have to hold the power button down until it powers off completely and then power it up again. I have gone through every machine setting I can find. It didn't do this under 8.1.

Any ideas anyone?

Bushfiva
3rd Aug 2015, 14:24
There are a bazillion updates for your machine with Windows 10 on the HP support site. Maybe you should install them and see if things automagically get fixed.

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Support (http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC-series/5401225/model/6454639)

You may want to use the automatic check rather than the manual one NI link to.

tow1709
4th Aug 2015, 06:47
Bushfiva, thanks for the link, I will give it a go.

Meanwhile my temporary work around is to select "nothing" when it asks me what I want to happen when the lid is closed.

Bushfiva
4th Aug 2015, 07:11
This is a generic and only partial solution, but maybe you could check device manager > keyboards >keyboard > power management tab, then look for a box called something like "allow this device to wake the computer" and tick it.

So, if opening the lid doesn't start the computer, hitting any key will.

But you may not have a power management tab. :8

Ancient Observer
4th Aug 2015, 11:24
As someone who is perfectly happy with my win 7 on a mid-spec home pc, and who hated win 8 when I had to set it up for a daughter on her new lappie, how long should I wait before moving over to win 10?

My inclination is to download it around the turn of the year, by which time all you techies types will have found all the glitches, and M/S should have resolved them. Does that sound about right?
Thanks
AO.

ian16th
4th Aug 2015, 11:37
Man updates to Windows 10 to find porn collection as screensaver | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3184771/Man-updates-PC-Windows-10-wife-entire-PORN-collection-transformed-slideshow-repeat.html)

rgbrock1
4th Aug 2015, 12:28
Ancient:

Why wait when you too can be on the forefront of MS's endeavor to have the general public find all the bugs and security issues in Win 10? :}

Saab Dastard
4th Aug 2015, 17:46
As someone who is perfectly happy with my win 7 on a mid-spec home pc, and who hated win 8 when I had to set it up for a daughter on her new lappie, how long should I wait before moving over to win 10?
You can probably leave it until late 2019...

SD

Bushfiva
6th Aug 2015, 02:49
The free DVD player is now being installed on eligible machines: it's KB3081704 if you tend to pick and choose which updates you install.

To be eligible, you have to upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate/Windows 8/8.1 with Media Center. Windows Enterprise doesn't qualify, nor do clean installs.

If you don't qualify for free, it's $15.

P.Pilcher
7th Aug 2015, 09:40
Well, I've now taken the plunge and installed Win 10 on my H.P. Win 7 lappie.
The installation was uneventful, taking a few hours and the new OS does work - just. It takes ages to load and most of its utilities fail to work. This is because it needs to load all my old software titles before anything happens - and it gets slower and slower till, after an hour I give up. The much vaunted new version of internet explorer doesn't work either. Fortunately it let me keep my copy of Firefox which still gives me internet access. It seems to let me access my files on my other networked machines so I can still use my old Office software, but my Microsoft games (solitaire, spider, freecell and so on) have vanished and I cannot find any replacements.
I had few problems with Win 7 and even fewer with XP which I am still running on my main desktop machine. If the stories about Win 8 are anything to go by then I can understand why these users will find 10 better but. so far for me the upgrade was a complete waste of time and effort.

P.P.

Shack37
7th Aug 2015, 10:02
P.Pilcher posted:
I had few problems with Win 7 and even fewer with XP which I am still running on my main desktop machine. If the stories about Win 8 are anything to go by then I can understand why these users will find 10 better but. so far for me the upgrade was a complete waste of time and effort.

I recently applied for the Win 10 free upgrade having read through this thread and decided, on balance, to give it ago. Your post has got me re-thinking as I also have Win 7 and am happy with it. The upgrade has yet to be made available to me so I think I´ll give it a miss when it does. As mentioned, it may be an improvement on Win 8 but not so much on 7.

Fareastdriver
7th Aug 2015, 14:54
My ten year old Samsung N130 driver a 21" monitor downloaded it OK but it dumped my Adblock. Now everything has slowed up whilst adverts are painted on and I cannot find Adblock for Edge. I tried extracting Microsoft games and putting an application shortcut on the toolbar but that hasn't worked. I am going to try and load IE11; if I cannot and also cannot find an adblock for Edge I am going back to W7.

Bushfiva
7th Aug 2015, 15:07
IE isn't uninstalled. Just click on "more actions" (the three dots, top right) and select "open with Internet Explorer".

QA1
7th Aug 2015, 17:39
Start menu – All Aps – Windows Accessories - IE :ugh:

Fareastdriver
7th Aug 2015, 18:06
I was getting fed up with Edge then I found a shortcut to IE in the recycle bin. Sanity is restored.

P.Pilcher
7th Aug 2015, 19:00
Well, I must correct myself a bit. Although I left my lappie in standby overnight Win 10 appears to have still been working to sort itself out. Most of its facilities appear to be working now and I am trying them out. Yesterday, Firefox was always whinging that it was not my default browser. When I clicked on "make it default" the whole system locked up as the facility associating software with certain functions refused to function. When I tried this again today it all worked nicely. I am now a happier bunny!

P.P.

Earl
8th Aug 2015, 07:38
I would wait a long time before doing this upgrade.
Many problems.
Main one is you cant turn Automatic updates off in 10.
I also had things on a 8 month old Dell laptop that don't work anymore after allowing the up dates to complete that I cant stop.
Wi Fi, even the sleep modes and times.
This stuff is so bad they cant even give it away.
Yes its better than 8, keep 7 if you can.
The Microsoft ones should look at why there are not used or allowed in Jeppeson for our charts or manuals.
IPads only approved for flying.
FAA told me MS has never been reliable like Mac and getting worse. so they wont allow the use.
Can you imagine doing a pre flight needing important data and all of a sudden its says I need to update.
MS needs to to better or just shut down.
Cant depend on them any longer.
They have been on a downwind spiral 3 or 4 years now.

sitigeltfel
8th Aug 2015, 09:21
Not to be dismayed. If you do a search on "Windows 10 iso" you will eventually find a web page, on MS's servers, where you can download the upgrade directly without having to wait.

Here's the link:

Windows 10 ISO (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO)

Hmmmmm, having registered, gone through all the checks and downloaded it, at the end of the process I got a message saying it couldn't be installed on my machine (Lenovo B320 running Win 7 home edition).

Loose rivets
8th Aug 2015, 09:39
Fired up my i7 Sony this AM with the intention of upgrading. I hardly ever lug its mass anywhere, so felt it would be the ideal testing ground. But now I'm not sure. An ISO perhaps? But would that, having been sent on a specific date, be forever, or would you have to load it within the timespan?

Haven't quite finished reading in on this thread, but this arrived this AM.

https://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=sbc&.rand=2err2ev92vl5i#mail

Mods. If posting this link is a no-no, then please zap, but perhaps retain the date for The Best of PC World = 8 7 15, which will get you there.

Fareastdriver
8th Aug 2015, 12:08
I'm reasonably in control of W10 except I cannot delete items. The normal right click-delete brings up an administrators permission panel. I press continue; after all, it's my computer and my password that starts it up, and it tries a few times and says it cannot do it without this permission.

I checked on the internet and a website working windows 8 suggest right clicking the bottom list and selecting Admin Administrator from the list. All that gives me is the 'Do you want to make changes to this computer' panel, the same as in W7.

How do I make it delete shortcuts on the desktop?

BEagle
8th Aug 2015, 12:53
Thank you all for confirming that this is NOT the time to change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - or from 8.1, for that matter.

M$ seem intent on self-destruction. Useful programs such as AutoRoute have been discontinued, as was the user-friendly Outlook Express. In came junk like Windows Live and various subscription programs.... They also canned the simple yet powerful Photoeditor. Windows 8 was a disaster, Windows 8.1 was at least less awful. And as for Office 2013.....:yuk:

As for the creepiness of that latest TV ad, which is almost Orwellian in nature, with M$ seeming to want to control the minds of children....:(

Earl
9th Aug 2015, 08:31
I have found a few sites that claim there app will stop win auto updates, but none from M/S.
Has anyone else here found a fix for this from M/S?
I also see Firefox does not like win 10 at all.
Really hope they can fix these issues, airlines use apple now for jepps and important documents, QRH, Abnormal procedures etc because M/S unreliable.
Those of us left for searching the web emails etc on the ground at at a loss here using windows.
I do think one thing , if apple could allow the use of external hard drive for storage then WIN would be finished forever.
But they only allow the cloud drive and force us all to buy space on the limited area after what they give us for free.
Money games all of them.

dazdaz1
9th Aug 2015, 14:42
I would suggest leave W10 with views to update from W7 for at least 6 months. I have my doubt's my old girl Samsung lappy could handle the speed/ram et al required.

If the pc/lappy came with W7 let it be so.

merch
12th Aug 2015, 08:39
I've taken the plunge, as it shiny and new, and installed W10. Went well, the PC gradually got faster, so now its running ok, except the hyperlinks on Outlook 2003 do not work. Hover over one and its says it's blocked, try it and I get the window "locate link browser" appearing, running IE 11. Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks

One Outsider
12th Aug 2015, 09:39
I also see Firefox does not like win 10 at all.Firefox works just fine in Windows 10. So does the spell checker.

I have my doubt's my old girl Samsung lappy could handle the speed/ram et al required.The minimum system requirements for Windows 10 are the same as they were for Windows 7.

Windows 10 is a fine piece of software. It is of course new, which apparently is a dirty word to some people.

dazdaz1
12th Aug 2015, 14:55
After reading above post maybe this might help in some problems.......

WINDOWS 10 NAGGER AND SYSTEM CRASHES

If your pc gives an error message that GWXUX won't start it's referring to the Windows 10 update nagger that has appeared over the past couple of months. There are numerous posts on the outerweb, some claim that the nagger is even making their systems crash.

If you're not interested in Windows 10 you'll need to uninstall the "PUP" (potentially unwanted programme) that came in the form of a Windows update number KB3035583. You'll know it's in there if you have a little "windows" logo at the bottom right of your screen in the quick start menu.

To remove this go to:

Control panel > Programs and features > View installed updates

Next, search for the windows update KB3035833 and select uninstall. By date it will be sometime July or August 2015.

Daz

p1fel
13th Aug 2015, 07:40
done that several times, next time you go to Windows Update it downloads the darned KB3035533 again :ugh:

Procrastinus
13th Aug 2015, 11:57
I am running Win10 on both a Dell Dimension 5100 and a Dell Latitude D610 laptop. Each case, the 'free' upgrade was refused due to varuous excuses, but downloading the .iso file and installing it all myself worked fine and everything works as it should even on these 'antique' machine! However that said, I opted for a Custom install and turned off all the privacy issues, but you can always turn them off later via 'Settings > Privacy'
For a browser, I use Pale Moon (a Firefox derivative) together with Adblock Latitude.

johngreen
15th Aug 2015, 20:49
To remove this go to:

Control panel > Programs and features > View installed updates

Next, search for the windows update KB3035833 and select uninstall. By date it will be sometime July or August 2015.

Daz

I think the correct update number is actually KB3035583!!

Booglebox
16th Aug 2015, 20:36
I am flirting with the idea of installing Win 10 Enterprise LTS (thru MSDN) on my personal machine, but I can see no upsides over Win 7, apart from little things like slightly better battery life, and plenty of downsides.
So now I'm not going to bother until Server 2016 is released, then I will update everything at once.

bit-twiddler
24th Aug 2015, 19:52
done that several times, next time you go to Windows Update it downloads the darned KB3035533 again
What you need to do is do the update scan and then, when it shows it as available, you deselect it and then right click to hide the update.

BUT....

If you had earlier selected the 'I want a free upgrade' option then you probably want to right click on the systray icon, check status and then cancel the request first.

When you have done all that you might want to do a 'disk cleanup' on the C drive as you'll probably find the 3 Gig hidden download folder there.

There are also a couple of other updates you want to uninstall too as they were added by Microsoft to allow 'telemetry tracking' on Windows 7 - i.e. one of the privacy issues people are annoyed about on Windows X.

KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB3068708 (replaces KB3022345) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

Worse thing I found about 10 was that it does the driver/updates etc and you can't stop 10 from doing it. There is a problem with one of the Nvidia drivers on a dual graphic card laptop - where it black screens the laptop display - so if you install the fixed driver from Nvidia site, Windows will then update it to the faulty one for the next reboot.

As Microsoft are now not telling you what each update fixes either, this is particularly annoying for support as the 'what did you last update to stop the software working' question now has no meaning.

GrumpyOldFart
25th Aug 2015, 01:40
If you're not sure whether to download or install your Free Win 10 upgrade, I can assure you it's worth every penny you paid for it.

:yuk:

bit-twiddler
25th Aug 2015, 12:02
I only 'upgraded' one laptop and reverted it after a week. It still tried to do the update until I did the bits detailed earlier.

It was the mandatory updates and the feeling of not actually being in charge of what software was installed on my machine that finally swung it, this was above and beyond the bits about scanning all your files and happening to pass the list to an American organisation that looks for copyright infringements, or the fact your decryption key is uploaded to microsoft if you disk encrypt etc....

Capn Bloggs
26th Aug 2015, 06:48
Accidentally ticked Windows 10 in Windows Update, so I unticked it. I even hid it! But, every time I run Windows update, the first thing that happens is "Downloading Windows 10" and "getting Setup files". All I can do is cancel the update.

I had a look for
KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
but it wasn't installed.

Any tips on stopping Win 10 coming down via Windows update?

FullOppositeRudder
10th Sep 2015, 23:08
I was alerted to this development by a somewhat disturbing message in another group to which I subscribe:

Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'- The Inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case)

Make of it what you will ....

Regards,
FOR

MG23
11th Sep 2015, 04:58
I wonder what drugs are in the water supply over in Seattle?

Did Microsoft even think for two seconds about pushing a mulit-gigabyte file to every Windows device?

I'm so glad I rarely have to use Windows any more, but I'd better check whether it's sucking up multiple gigabytes of the ~100GB SSD on my games machine. Because I so want 5% of the disk wasted on an OS 'upgrade' I'm never going to install.

BEagle
11th Sep 2015, 06:29
Microsoft told us: "For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade.

"When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device.”

Surely this should be an 'opt in' service? Since 5 Aug 2015, I've had 46 instances of 'Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro......failed', yet have never requested any such 'upgrade'...

The 'Error details' shows 'Code 80240020'.

Looking further, I've found that a folder '$Windows.~BT' has appeared on my C-drive. It's some 4.07 Gb in size and includes 15,595 files in 3,380 folders, all of which concern Windows 10.....

M$, what on earth possessed you to force this cr@p on people who haven't asked for it?

FullOppositeRudder
11th Sep 2015, 08:35
Looking further, I've found that a folder '$Windows.~BT' has appeared on my C-drive. It's some 4.07 Gb in size and includes 15,595 files in 3,380 folders, all of which concern Windows 10.....Yes, that's apparently the advanced symptom of this un-requested malware.

From what I've read, there were eight 'upgrades' to W7 & W8 which facilitated the development reported above. The original article lists the upgrades, and gives details for a good old fashioned DOS based batch file to un-install them.

There are also details for a registry addition to steer clear of this development, but it may be too late for that in a lot of instances.

I've done both of these mods to my currently available Win7 machine, and the issue seems to have gone - for the present.

However, I'm most reluctant to share these fixes at this stage, primarily because of possible repercussions from people on this board who have intimidated the more timid users into a cautious reluctance to share such radical information. I also don't want to be suggesting changes to other people's computers which need a bit more time to be proven as rock solid safe.

If the information in the original SIG posting I read this morning is true, then there's no way in the world that I would touch Windows 10 - ever! The posting identifies some quite frightening potential issues, which most users will be blissfully unaware of - at least in the early stages.

It looks very much like W7 - and perhaps W8 - will be the last versions of Windows for this particular user.

BTW, the source of this information would appear to be highly reliable, and what it reports is what I have discovered on my own W7 machine.

I'm sorry but that's about as much of the reported information as I want to share at this stage - for reasons I've already stated.

FOR

ExXB
11th Sep 2015, 09:02
Don't get Mad, get even ...

European Consumer Centres - European Commission (http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/solving_consumer_disputes/non-judicial_redress/ecc-net/index_en.htm)

Complain to the EC, might as well get something out of Brussels, before you leave ...

Ancient Observer
2nd Oct 2015, 09:35
I am very happy with my W 7.
Anyone happy with their Win 10, or shall I just ignore the daily bits of insistence from MS that I should download and install 10?

Saab Dastard
2nd Oct 2015, 22:51
AO,

Why not google how to get rid of it completely and permanently? Easy enough to do.

SD

Ancient Observer
5th Oct 2015, 13:09
SD
yup, thanks.
done that now. Easier than I expected.

When 10 is working, wonderful and worth the downsides, will someone kindly let us know?
Ta
AO

cdtaylor_nats
7th Oct 2015, 08:04
Windows 10 is better than the previous versions. Upgrades on both my computers (win 8.1 desktop and win 7 laptop) went easily with no problems.

Everything still worked afterwards, nothing had to be reinstalled.

The only downside is some old games wont work, but they wont with win 7 & 8 now either as MS killed a type of DRM used by the old games for security purposes.

Saint Jack
8th Oct 2015, 03:43
I too am thinking about taking advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10. However, like others here I'm concerned about the loss of non-Microsoft programmes that I currently use with Windows 7 Home Premium. In particular I'm concerned about to possible loss of my Lotus Organizer 97, don't laugh - this great little programme has served my well for many years and does everything I want from it, i.e. it keeps all my names, addresses and contact in one simple and easy-to-use location.

So guys and gals, does anyone know if Lotus Organizer 97 will work with Windows 10? If it won't, can you advise a suitable alternate, remember - it has to be simple and easy-to-use. Many thanks.

le Pingouin
8th Oct 2015, 09:35
Lotus Organizer 97 appears to work on WIn10 64-bit - at least it installed and a brief test of a few of the basic functions worked. Can't vouch for anything further.

Ancient Observer
8th Oct 2015, 11:35
One of my previous employers bought the whole Lotus suite for its staff. It was brilliant. Always simple, easy to use, and with high levels of reliability.
Shame it was killed off by the beancounters.

Saint Jack
9th Oct 2015, 09:53
Many thanks le Pingouin, that's very reassuring.

BEagle
17th Oct 2015, 19:03
Went away to Germany on Wednesday, after the latest Tuesday patches had been installed....

Whilst I was away, I'd left my backup Win 8.1 laptop running. When I returned home late last night, I found that Win 10 had installed itself without my request or agreement.....:eek:

Apart from a missing driver (which took an age to replace) and a few unwanted taskbar icons, it doesn't seem much different to Win 8.1. Today I got rid of that stupid Cortana nonsense and changed a few privacy settings to frustrate Micro$oft's advertising income greed, but otherwise for the limited use for which I need the backup laptop, all seems OK.

But how dare Micro$oft act in this way!

BEagle
29th Oct 2015, 14:26
I see that Microsoft has now admitted that it screwed up. From ITPRO:

Microsoft has apologised for a mistake in a recent Windows update that led to Window 7 and Windows 8.1 computers being automatically upgraded to Windows 10.

While Microsoft has been heavily promoting its new OS and strongly encouraging customers to upgrade, it has been an opt-in, rather than an opt-out process. However, Ars Technica readers started to complain that the upgrade was happening without their permission.

Microsoft acknowledged the issue, telling the website saying it was an unexpected bug.

"As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update (WU) control panel," Microsoft said in a statement. "This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows. In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check."

There's a large Windows 10 update coming in November - those who have Win10 Home won't have any choice over the download as the ability to manage updates has been deleted from Win10 Home as they're now downloaded automatically.

Oh good - I can hardly wait....:rolleyes:

Can we have something useful back please, Micro$oft? Such as AutoRoute??

Loose rivets
31st Oct 2015, 01:46
I dug out an old Vaio today and defragged drive c-colon. I set about downloading 10 only to find it took half of eternity to load and is now taking the other half to check for updates. Well over an our and still on 0%.

First time around I pulled the plug on it. Literally. I almost gave up on an earlier stage, but suddenly it went into the update check thing so was hesitant to give up too early, but I've loaded all brands of DOS and Windows and never encountered delays like this.

The computer is dual boot. Could that be a problem? Can't see why as it's responding normally in every other way.

Loose rivets
31st Oct 2015, 03:46
Huh! After well over an hour of being on 0% it suddenly started to do things. It's now writing to the disc for the first time in ages and installing the basic (sadly) copy of 10. Even my PC is 32 bit - I recall thinking I'd only need that for my software and didn't know about the memory limitation. Still, I've got the i7 Vaio that I lugged back from Texas.

It's nearly as heavy as the PC. :uhoh:

Loose rivets
31st Oct 2015, 07:23
Running. Brisk. Toys look fairly straightforward. But, the screen is fuzzy. It says it optimum res, but the darn thing looks like a TV scene where they soften the focus. Anyone else?

I can't see an obvious selection for this. And one thing this computer had - a stunning little screen with strong clear colours

le Pingouin
31st Oct 2015, 07:44
You need to find out what the actual native resolution of the screen is and then compare to what it's actually displaying.

Bushfiva
31st Oct 2015, 08:24
Right click on the desktop, Display Settings, change size of text/apps/etc here.

Then, Advanced display settings where you can check the screen size, color calibration, adjust ClearType, and micromanage text sizes.

You can do all this via the control panel too, if you prefer,

Loose rivets
1st Nov 2015, 01:36
It reccomended a res, but I tried a tad either side of it and that was worse and the 'raster' didn't fit. so, I guess It's okay.- ish

The hello screen is smoke-filled anyway, so that doesn't help. :*

All in all not too bad but not quite that edge the other one had.

For now, doesn't matter as this little laptop will only be for reading Kindle etc. I see it has a serial port, so may do morse on it.

Now, it has dual boot with the original Vista. That came first obviously. Then I made a partition or three and then dual boot with a legal copy of W7. W10 has gone over that W7.

Question is, can I put the W7 - which has the same key as the 10*, where Vista is now. That would be neat, and this machine would only have one copy of Windows on it. i.e. one Key. The W7 has been the main OS for at least 5 years.

* I see it's the same key from Belarc which by the way, shows the 10 as 8.1 Confused? You will be.

The MS super-computer somewhere in the US will only see that reg key at any one time and one is allowed to go back to the old OS anyway, but in my case I would be hopping to and fro.

Legal issues aside, is it now possible to do a clean install of W7 for the dual boot? i.e. do the first partition last? l see W10 has a nice screen especially for dual booting. Not at bios level now. So, while this is nice, it does mean the OS is more aware of what's going on with dual booting and may object.

I only kept my Vista to help a pal with support over the phone. He now has his own guru, so one is free of that duty. I can see plugging in a clean install where the Vista was might cause all sorts of problems.

MG23
1st Nov 2015, 01:53
Apparently, next year, Microsoft are going 'make upgrading to Windows 10 easier' by doing it for you automatically:

Making it Easier to Upgrade to Windows 10 | Windows Experience Blog (http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/)

Loose rivets
1st Nov 2015, 02:13
Might be a bit pointless dual booting from W10 to W10 :uhoh:

But look here, MS. I paid for a specific product. Nothing In my bill of sale that said you could take it back again . . . erm, or is there? I don't think I ever own it, so that cocks that notion up.

I still don't know where these dual boot items lie. I cleaned out drive C and defragged it just left 7 on there in basic form. When booting in Vista I can see all my photos, book etc., so I'm not sure where this w10 green field site came from. Always wondered about that.

D and E logical drives seem unaffected.

Private jet
12th Nov 2015, 19:40
Is CTRL-ALT-DELETE still available on 10?

boguing
12th Nov 2015, 19:58
Yes, but trying it just now was the first time I've used it...

FullOppositeRudder
12th Nov 2015, 22:36
Sadly I can report that I am aware of three of my friends who elected to accept the free upgrade to W10 on their machines discovered some basic things that no longer worked as they did on W7 and W8. The common factor was that the machines themselves were getting on in years - still very useful and usable, but no drivers for W10 seemed to be available for some hardware components.

In another instance, an entire office elected to go with the flow and 'upgrade' about ten machines at once. All went well in the upgrade process, but the rest of the day was spent resetting basic installation parameters back to "Australian" regional settings, and trying to discover where everything they used in the past was now hiding. I think all is now well, but none of these people apparently had sufficient 'geekness' to deal with changes which they didn't anticipate or expect.

I think I'll wait a bit longer.

FOR

le Pingouin
13th Nov 2015, 12:59
FOR, do your friends realise they can revert to their previous version?

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-revert-back-your-previous-os-after-windows-10-upgrade

Note they only have a month to change their mind.

Rick777
14th Nov 2015, 01:29
I have an old laptop that came with Vista. A couple of years ago I put in a new HD and installed 8. It was an improvement, but not much. I installed 10 as soon as I could. I really like it. It is a lot faster than 8, and it is nice to have an actual start button again.

FullOppositeRudder
15th Nov 2015, 06:07
FOR, do your friends realise they can revert to their previous version?Thanks - however I think the time had well and truly passed by the time they had talked to me about it.

The office / network installation has been pretty well sorted out eventually, and I doubt that they would turn back having done all of that work. They're accepting of the fact that this is the way it will be, so having made the move, and sorted out the challenges (as far as I am aware), it was going to stay that way. It's a 'serious' office network in the National Capital (yep - that serious!), the machines are work horses to do the job, extensive written material is their tool of trade, and there is too much at risk to fiddle beyond the minimum necessary.

Thank you again,
FOR

le Pingouin
15th Nov 2015, 13:30
That's often the way, particularly when there's a lack of planning - it's easier to push on after a certain point than try to untangle what you've done.

dazdaz1
17th Nov 2015, 13:29
As to OP and post #2 some may find it helpful to delete windows update KB 3035583

nipva
23rd Nov 2015, 08:46
I would not recommend W10, I too tried the free upgrade but was immediately put off by all the 'noise' on the screen start-up, the dependency on being hooked up to the web and the loss of some functions that I had liked. Oh yes, it wiped all my emails from Outllook Express in the process. I am now happily back with Windows 7.

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2015, 10:34
Reading about reinstalling, I had a thought. My dual boot is Vista first, and now 10. Works fine, but now, the dual booting choice is on a 10-like screen not just a BIOS affair. Looks cool, but what the heck happens when you need to do a full reinstall of 10?

It seems to me you'll have no way of getting to that boot-specific partition, so a format followed by a clean install becomes a bit of a mystery.

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2015, 11:33
Oh, Gawsh. My old Sony Vaio lost its fn controls due to never getting drivers working on W7. Believe me, I tried. (Vista boot fn's still work okay.) But all was not lost.

Windows button + X would give me a screen for the total management of added screens/projectors etc. Now, W + X gives the old Start menu items. Nice, but I need my screen control for adding big screen for editing. :ugh:

Updating 10. Is all updating automatic now? I see no invitation to bring it up to date.
Found it - while right clicking on desktop looking for Power settings. Settings. Update and Security.

le Pingouin
23rd Nov 2015, 13:07
The thing you're wanting to use is called Windows Mobility Centre - it's on that menu you're seeing. Pressing "b" will open it.

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2015, 15:12
A million thanks! :ok: Yep, into old menu and b gets it. It's got a brand new sub menu for the monitors but they seem to be doing much the same.

I don't know. I'd never have looked in there - it kind of put me in mind of help for wobbly old people . . . oh, wait . . . :uhoh:

While searching for another answer I came across this. I don't fully understand, but I gather it's an issue about having to extensively update the new download - or not.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/11/23/microsoft-pulls-update-to-windows-10-bad-news-for-fresh-installs/

I was looking to see if I could upgrade my PC from W7 home (OEM) to pro, and 64bit as well. I know it wouldn't be free, but wondered if there was a path and if the cost might be erm, promotional.

Given MS are not at all fond of OEM packs being sold to the public* ( I phoned them about mine) I imagine even if there was a route to a version upgrade, the OEM packs might be excluded.

* I recall us discussing OEM packs some years ago. BTW. They have let me reinstall on a new hard drive after my carry-on disc didn't survive airport security.

Loose rivets
24th Nov 2015, 00:17
Posted by one, Frog, on How-Too Geek

I was unaware that Microsoft has just reverted the Windows Media Tools release to the July version of Win 10, which does not allow keys to be entered as easily. It's still possible to do a clean install but you may need to contact Microsoft to get your new Win 10 key if you go this route...

Several things I've spotted this evening seem to be saying the same thing. My reaction to 10 is that I like it more each time I play with the test laptop, and would like to dual boot onto my i7. However, I don't need to commit to too many hours of 'fun' right now. Anyone else concerned about this step backwards?

I am aware about the early posts in this thread and need to learn how to turn off - what was it, 16 items? - that are unacceptable.

le Pingouin
24th Nov 2015, 13:22
Rivets, you might find this article of interest - it tells you how to upgrade from Win7 32-bit to Win10 64-bit. Doesn't help with the move to Pro though. Out of interest what's the reason for moving to Pro?

How to Switch From 32-bit Windows 10 to 64-bit Windows 10 (http://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/)

Loose rivets
24th Nov 2015, 23:43
EDIT: Quick read through. Oh. Yes, my kit is probably on the cusp. The Sony Vaio however is already 64. Seems such a shame not to be using it. See below.

Well, in the past, Pro carried some privileges Home didn't. Like, rolling back from 8 to 7. I just wondered if it might be wise, and not more costly, to go there at the same time as upping to 64.

On my PC, I've got 4 gigs of memory with the 3 gig limitation. Just wondered if it might be a good idea to reap that wasted area.

The only reason I've not gone to the Vaio i7 laptop as my main computer is that even when the LG screen is connected, the colours don't seem to have the same 'depth'. I've posted on this, and indeed loaded the latest Nvidia drivers, but still the 1600 res screen seems poor compared to all other laptops I've seen. Fiddling with the settings has made some improvement, but it looks kind of unnatural.

It's a pity, because 1600 seems a perfect compromise in terms of res. The pinnacle of monitor/cards for me was an Asuz exec laptop into their 21" screen. A breathtaking combination. However, while it was fine for looking into the watch mechanisms I was restoring, for day-to-day use it was trying. 1440 is great for editing/proof reading.

My LG is 1440 but offeres LG's usual higher refresh rate which I value. But hey, I'm an oddity - I could even read the Dowty label on my spinning propellers.

Thanks for the help. I'll be back in the loop on the morrow.

BEagle
26th Nov 2015, 09:12
Micro$oft has finally sorted out the latest update for Windows 10. The 'November update' had caused problems to some by overriding user privacy settings, but they claim to have fixed this in Build 10586.

However, the upgrade process takes an absolute age! I started it at 21:00 last night, it took nearly 2 hours before it was ready to restart, then after a further hour of a blank screen, I let it get on with things and went to bed. This morning it had finished, but nagged me for another set of upgrades for the processor and graphics card. Which took a further 30 minutes, including another restart.

Once the restart was complete, I noticed that it had changed my WiFi preference; normally I use an external 5 GHz adapter, but the upgrade had switched back to the internal 2.4 GHz card. It had also deselected my Homegroup settings to link with other devices, so that took a little time to correct.

The difference? Right-clicking on the Start button gives a less Windows 8.1-like menu, it's now in white on grey. Quite a few other tweaks-for-geeks, no doubt.....

Loose rivets
27th Nov 2015, 15:48
I get that via the Windows button as mentioned above. It's nice to see that option. However . . . I've been Gotcha'd.

I posted this on the HTGeek forum. It just shows how easy it is to make a fool of oneself. (I think the truth is, part of me just wants new toys every day.)

While I'm now well kitted up with experimental soft and spare computers, a very intrusive offer of Windows appeared on my main PC. I was mindful of this 'free forever' statement quoted earlier in this thread.

I became quite good at detecting ambiguous statements while polishing writing skills, but I fell for this Gotcha and find W10 not just "downloading for later", but setting an install date which can't be altered more than once. It's on my main PC which contains the draft of my 700 page novel in several formats. Should have known better than to trust MS. :unamused:

I did give it permission to download, but then it started to prepare, and then gave me an install time of later today. (I'm on GMT for now) As mentioned I get one crack at setting another date.

I've heard of the need to vary 16 different possible intrusions to regain control of, and indeed ownership of one's data. So just a teensy bit T'd of with MS and indeed, myself.

TCAS FAN
27th Nov 2015, 17:51
I've been monitoring this thread since it appeared. Not being computer literate one question, is it worth considering upgrade from Windows 7. Pleas guys keep it simple, yes or no!

Saab Dastard
27th Nov 2015, 18:33
is it worth considering upgrade from Windows 7

It depends.

If you have several older peripherals (printer, scanner, sound card etc.) for which there are no Win 10 drivers, then no. If you have none, or can afford to just replace them all, fine, go ahead. You should check the hardware manufacturer's website to see if there are Win 10 drivers available.

If you have old programs that are not compatible with Win 10, then no, unless you can do without them or replace them. Most programs that work with Win 7 will work with 10 (allegedly).

If you are using Windows Media Centre - it isn't available as part of Windows 10 and will be removed during the upgrade. You won't be able to install Windows Media Centre after the upgrade.

Most computers that run Windows 7 will run Win 10, but you should run through the compatibility checker - see this explanation for example: Can my computer run Windows 10? (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-computer-device-app-compatibility-windows-10)

You should also review https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-specifications

SD

Loose rivets
27th Nov 2015, 21:23
Dear Mr Fan. Firstly, you should be advised that Saab has everything, albeit hidden in a parallel universe. This is after he has asserted you can't have it. If it, normally considered to be singular, can be everything. Confused? You will be.

Secondly, one has to watch one's @rse with Micro Soft-and-fluffy, because they will creep up behind you and stuff 10 onto your computer while you slumber peacefully. Ten, or 10 as she is known, is seductive, she has wondrous frontages, but then so did the Nine Muses, and look where that got the honest young man of the species. :E

boguing
27th Nov 2015, 22:07
SaabD, re: Media Centre. I've just followed the guide in the link below, and it's working for me.

Get Windows Media Center Running on Windows 10 in a Few Easy Steps (http://lifehacker.com/get-windows-media-center-running-on-windows-10-with-a-f-1729919907)

FlightDetent
27th Nov 2015, 22:59
I've been monitoring this thread since it appeared. Not being computer literate one question, is it worth considering upgrade from Windows 7. Pleas guys keep it simple, yes or no!
No. (based on your need to ask and the way you formulate the question). Windows 7 is fine, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I did upgrade for reasons good and I am seriously pleased with the outcome. 2 desktops (2009 vintage), 4 notebooks (2010) and 1 convertible (2015). One reason being that I had W8 on three of those machines.

BEagle
29th Nov 2015, 08:37
My conclusions are:

If you're using Windows XP, definitely update to Windows 10.

If you're using Windows 7 SP1, don't bother with Windows 10.

If you're using Windows 8 or 8.1, you probably should update.

Bear in mind that certain familiar programs won't be there in Windows 10 and that certain peripherals might well require driver updates.

TCAS FAN
29th Nov 2015, 09:24
Thanks guys, both Mrs TCAS and myself are staying with Windows 7.

Loose rivets
29th Nov 2015, 09:55
Very quickly:

Kaspersky removed. One blink of a notice and then nothing. Still listed in Programs and Features. New one available for ten.

Okay, so do you clean up first? Big question, because getting the licence number from Barclays to give Kasper is a pain. So, I let Kasper install hoping it acted as an update. It did, and seems to have quite a few more modern features and mini screens showing data-flow etc.

So, I suggest, don't remove the old one first. There's only one showing in P&F.

CCleaner the same. It took ages to run first time. Given it's the one for 10 I HOPE they know what they're doing.

Setting FireFox as home page. That had me flummoxed until 03:00 this AM

It all worked, integrated it seemed, with 10. But, a darn notice kept appearing saying that FF was not set as main browser [Sic] Time and again I un-ticked the 'Show this' box but it just re-ticked itself and showed the warning box every time I called FF up.

I had to search the net to get that one sorted.

I went the old way - which gets you there. FF running, Tools, Options
SET the screen you want to start in (mine's just GoGo with the toolbars) Then there's a button to the right, Make FF your default etc. This takes you to a blue menu overlay which really had me flummoxed. Scroll down on the right side to . . . Aaaagh, it's of course not there anymore because mine's set, but I think Microsoft was mentioned in the button - anyway you can press them all with impunity, and this one shows a list of Browser Icons. I picked FF and it was done.

Now I use Snipping tool a lot. No real order to my life, so I just make a .jpg of receipts etc., and that serves well. Now no hint of Snip. I asked Cortana, and she found it for me in an instant. It still worked. Phew! Wouldn't want to be without that.

Loose rivets
3rd Dec 2015, 17:50
Since loading 10, my screen is slightly phase shifted to the right. I've checked the monitor settings and it's in 1440 the recommended res.

All that happens is the Desktop button is partly obscured. One can just put the tip of the cursor on it. The scroll bar is clipped but usable. I can see the edge of the scan on both sides.

Saab Dastard
3rd Dec 2015, 17:57
Since loading 10, my screen is slightly phase shifted to the right.

Is this on a laptop or an external monitor? If the latter, is there an auto-adjust button on the monitor to centre the display?

Loose rivets
3rd Dec 2015, 22:56
It's an LG 17" on my PC. 1440 native via an NVidia card and was okay on W7. Yes, I've given the monitor Auto a go, but so dim and distant are my memories of phasing the scan that I'm not sure how I used to do it when it was a regular item to set.

Having said this, it's pretty tight on the left so not much room to play with.

Just booted my old Vaio, the only other machine with 10 on it at the moment. It's exactly the same! Just get the cursor arrow tip to fit in and touch the Desktop button bottom right.

I'll bring the scan in too small just to be sure but the controls for that are bizarrely counter-intuitive.

Set it to 4:3 for a moment with 1" either side. Same.

Off to Windows settings to see what's afoot.

Gosh, even flipping it vertical leaves it the same. Must be windows, surely? This one was loaded a week or so later and I think, just caught the latest update.

Really, the Desktop button is the only real issue, so quite liveable-with - just a puzzlement.