PDA

View Full Version : Avast Erroneous Renewal Message

Shack37
31st May 2015, 22:14
I renewed my Avast subscription beginning of May having received their email advising that it expires 01 June. They sent me the usual confirmation of renewal.
Today I had another email from Avast advising that my subscription will expire in 48 hours.
I replied, forwarding their own confirmation email only to receive a reply from them directing me to a forum recently set up to "assist" clients with questions.
Has anyone else experienced this. What further action is recommended? I could be wrongly left without protection other than Windows Defender etc.

Keef
31st May 2015, 23:05
I had something similar. I think it's something to do with the different bits of Avast and the various subscriptions on offer. It's confusing to pick out which of the options you are actually renewing - and, of course, they'd like you to subscribe for more.

In the end, I went back to Avast Free, which is very difficult to get, because of the way the site is set up.

JimR
31st May 2015, 23:40
The same thing happened to me; however, I unfortunately can't recall exactly what I did to rectify the problem. I do remember that I re-entered the activation key into one of the fields on the user interface. Hopefully this might help.

parabellum
1st Jun 2015, 00:44
I was recently told by Avast that my AV subscription would automatically renew at a given date, when confirmation of renewal arrived it wasn't for AV at all, it was an additional programme called Grime Fighters that I had never previously subscribed to!
Beginning to go off Avast, what are the alternatives for a reliable AV system please?

gemma10
1st Jun 2015, 08:25
I had a similar experience recently with AVG. I kept getting a pop up stating I should clean the hard drive. So tried it, and the next thing I know some days later I was informed my trial date was coming to an end. Cut a long story short I couldnt retrieve the free version and gave up, then opted to buy the software for two years. The purchased option does however include other protections.

Shack37
1st Jun 2015, 08:29
Many thanks all. I asked the question on their client forum. Was advised to "submit a ticket" asking for resend of licence. Now waiting for results.

Warmtoast
1st Jun 2015, 08:40
If you're a Barclays Bank customer and use their online banking, Barclays offer a copy of Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 totally free for 3 PCs, 1 MAC and/or 1 Android.

Shack37
1st Jun 2015, 15:36
Again, thanks to all. After submitting the "ticket" mentioned above I received the re-sent licence confirming cover till 2nd June 2016. Now waiting to see if said cover is removed tomorrow.

Parabellum
I too have been recommended Grime Fighters by Avast but so far I havenīt been "accidentally" entered a trial period for it.

Keef
1st Jun 2015, 21:55
I tried a couple of those "cleaner" utilities in the past. They wiped stuff that was needed, and didn't improve the performance of the PC one jot. I steer clear of them nowadays.

One that crept in under cover of a software update (beware of Adobe!) recently told me there were over 500 dangerous items on my PC, and that for $30 they would fix it for me. They made the mistake of listing the first 20 offending items.

Fortunately, the control panel "remove software" worked with the $30 freebie. I'm close to dumping Adobe!

gemma10
2nd Jun 2015, 07:06
I assume you are referring to the flash player. Is threre an alternative?

Keef
2nd Jun 2015, 20:22
Flash Player, Acrobat Reader, Dreamweaver - in fact anything Adobe. 'Tis a pesky nuisance.

I don't know of an alternative at the moment, but I've heard rumours about Microsoft including one. Mixture'll know.