PDA

View Full Version : Concorde takeoffs from LHR

Seloco
11th Jun 2002, 16:48
As a Heathrow neighbour I have noticed that Concorde easterly departures have been following a different track for the last couple of months. Enquiries to the CAA have revealed that all Concorde takeoffs in that direction are currently going off 10L, in spite of the Cranford Agreement. This is apparently related to night time resurfacing work on the southerly runway.

I am wondering though whether someone out there can advise as to whether this is because of daytime length restrictions on 10R, or more likely a perceived increase in FOD likelihood from the resurfacing activity?

Warped Factor
11th Jun 2002, 16:52
It is due to the re-surfacing of 27L/09R, but nothing to do with FOD.

On departure Concorde doesn't like the ramps that are left between the old and the new surface during the ongoing works and so whilst the work is in progress will always use the northern runway (09L/27R) for departure.

If I remember correctly it can land on the south runway if necessary but would prefer not to if possible.

There's another thread about this somewhere around here....

WF.

Seloco
11th Jun 2002, 16:56
Thanks WF.
...and, I guess I just showed my age/ignorance in using the "old" alignment for 09L!

boeingbus2002
11th Jun 2002, 22:26
I was told this is a temporary measure due to work on the southern runway. All other aircraft are able to use 27L/09R but while work is in progress, Concorde is to use the northern runway due to surface conditions.
All back to normal soon....

Final 3 Greens
13th Jun 2002, 03:21
I recall that the a/c used the southerly runway exclusively when it returned to service last year due to resurfacing work on the northerly.

???pax
13th Jun 2002, 07:45
Whilst on the Concorde theme....

Is Concorde required to follow all the published SID's and STAR's for the airports that it operates in and out of??

When it's busy at the destination does it have to take up the hold, if need be, along with all the other arriving aircraft, or can it queue jump?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Jun 2002, 16:42
At Heathrow is follows the same procedures as other a/c and is held as necessary. Needless to say, if the delay is prolonged BA Ops are on the horn politely reminding us that it only has 10 mins holding, etc!! Occasionally they will get one of their other a/c to "swap" EATs with Conc to avoid a diversion..