PDA

View Full Version : Required Rotorcraft Reading?

SeaMac
29th May 2015, 19:36
I'm embarking on the journey to fulfill my dream of becoming a CPL (H) and with everything else I've done in life I immerse myself in subject matter. I fully intend to eat, sleep, breathe, live and love my education and training.

If there is any reading material related to the subject that anyone can think of that would be above and beyond what would be part of the standard syllabus I would greatly appreciate the information. Thanks!!! :ok:

paco
29th May 2015, 20:07
Shawn Coyle's Cyclic & Collective

SeaMac
29th May 2015, 20:15
Just ordered from Amazon, thanks! :ok: NEXT!?!
]

paco
29th May 2015, 20:26
Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies
The Helicopter Pilot's Handbook
Fatal Traps For Helicopter Pilots
Chiickenhawk (the first book)

SeaMac
29th May 2015, 20:29
Keep 'em coming, if I can't locate them at the local library I'll Amazon 'em. I have already downloaded the associated literature from the FAA website.

Perro Rojo
29th May 2015, 21:01
Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann.

Not rotary wing but arguably the best pilot book ever written.

KP

EN48
29th May 2015, 22:48
Principles of Helicopter Flight: W. J. Wagtendonk
Helicopter Aerodynamics, Vol 1 & 2: R.W. Prouty (a classic but may be hard to find)
Low Level Hell: Hugh Mills (the best of this genre IMHO)

paco
30th May 2015, 05:55
You can probably get Ray's book from Shawn.

Phil

ersa
30th May 2015, 10:27
Try these 2 books, helped me a lot when learning to fly

home (http://www.helicopter-book.com/magento/)

Letsby Avenue
30th May 2015, 12:46
There was a second 'Chickenhawk'.?

Hawkeye0001
30th May 2015, 13:52
Gotta promote another one of our well known pprune members a bit:

Dennis Kenyon - 'Dangerous Appointment' (is that even published yet?!) :cool:

Also a good one not mentioned here yet is Shawn Coyle's 'The Little Book of Autorotations'. I found this book particularly helpful from a flight instructors perspective, it has lots of great information with some top notch explanations that are very easy to understand (and pass on).

Flyting
30th May 2015, 15:27
you can also download a lot of free stuff from the FAA... before the school sells you the hard copies...
Aviation Handbooks & Manuals (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/)

SeaMac
30th May 2015, 18:47
I absolutely appreciate all the response but it seems some of the titles mentioned are autobiographies and stories from pilots. What I'd like to concentrate on is technical reading that will assist me with my training and make me more technically proficient if that makes sense. Again, I sincerely appreciate the suggestions and responses. :ok:

Thracian
30th May 2015, 19:06
Also from Shawn Coyle: Little Book of Autorotation

EN48
30th May 2015, 19:29
it seems some of the titles mentioned are autobiographies and stories from pilots.

Dont discount these - some important lessons of a different kind. You'll be glad you read them! :ok:

Another vote for "Little Book of Autorotations" - available in electronic form from Amazon

Also worth becoming familiar with the work of the IHST (International Helicopter Safety Team). Not aware of books per se but much info here: Reel Safety Videos (http://ihst.org/Default.aspx?tabid=3210)

Also read the NTSB accident reports and/or equivalent for countries other than the U.S. Available here: http://ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx CAUTION! Thse may change your mind about becoming a helicopter pilot! :rolleyes:

Heli-Ice
30th May 2015, 21:18
Required rotorcat reading...? Your RFM is a good one ;-)

Perro Rojo
1st Jun 2015, 01:50
Quote:Required rotorcat reading...? Your RFM is a good one ;-):Unquote.

Couldn't come up with something better than that?

KP

KNIEVEL77
1st Jun 2015, 18:23
Ersa,
I tried in vain to buy the books you suggested but no one ever got back to me, do you have any other contacts by any chance other than the ones you supplied me a while back?
K77.

paco
1st Jun 2015, 18:33
They are Australian if it helps.

Phil