PDA

View Full Version : Which jobs can a 1900D captain get in Asia?

Bart_Man
29th May 2015, 12:14
Hi everyone,

I fly in Canada and I'd like to go to the Middle East or Southeast Asia. I'm a 1900D captain and I've been looking at the requirements for most airlines overseas, and they are pretty high: at least a 737 or A320 type rating with 500 hours on type, or something to that effect...

Now, only 2 years ago a Canadian 1900 skipper that I know interviewed with Qatar and got in. Have the requirements become that much higher in the last 2 years? Also, are these airlines actually finding pilots who have those kinds of type ratings and 500 hours on type, or are they just looking for unicorns and white ravens?

Surely there must be some job for some airline that a 1900 skipper can get? Which airlines do you think would be happy to have me? I'd be happy to take a Q400 too, or an ATR... I have 4000 hours of which 2000 are turbine EFIS and 3000 are PIC.

Cheers!
Bart_Man

itsbrokenagain
29th May 2015, 13:20
I honestly dont think there is any options for you out here, I bet your other 1900 buddy had some jet time .

There was options in Indonesia a couple of years ago, but thats gone now. I have seen the odd job ad in places like Myanmar for turboprop PIC, and there was another one further south to fly those MA60's (but you needed ATR or Dash 8 time for that one) .

Your only other option might be a contract job flying in Iraq, or take a leap of faith and come over and pound on some doors of corporate operators.

good luck

Bart_Man
29th May 2015, 14:00
Thanks. No he didn't have any jet time. I might do a trip to the Middle East and Asia to go knock on some doors, surely somebody must appreciate me making the effort to show up...

The Dominican
29th May 2015, 14:06
You might be able to get your foot on the door at ANet or IBEX, both are regional carriers for ANA...., after you finish your first contract with any of them and already have a JCAB license, then you can move on to Peach or Vanilla Air.

That is a viable option with your current experience level

Good luck:ok:

Bart_Man
29th May 2015, 14:18
Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Flying Mechanic
30th May 2015, 04:31
you could try Cathay Pacific, become a S/O for few years, then F/O, get 1000 hours on a jet, worlds your oyster!!

Try Eva air , Taiwan. I just Eva myself with only Beech 1900 time, straight onto a jet.

Good advice from the Dominican, and Japan is a nice place to live, and great beer to!

Dupre
31st May 2015, 00:28
Air Macau is hiring non typed guys onto the A320. Bond is pretty steep tho.

Bart_Man
1st Jun 2015, 22:55
Thanks guys I'm gonna give all that a try. I've had my CV at Cathay for awhile, but hadn't thought of EVA.