PDA

View Full Version : Which jobs can I find in the Middle East as a 1900D captain?

Bart_Man
29th May 2015, 12:09
Hi everyone,

I fly in Canada and I'd like to go to the Middle East or Southeast Asia. I'm a 1900D captain and I've been looking at the requirements for most airlines overseas, and they are pretty high: at least a 737 or A320 type rating with 500 hours on type, or something to that effect...

Now, only 2 years ago a Canadian 1900 skipper that I know interviewed with Qatar and got in. Have the requirements become that much higher in the last 2 years? Also, are these airlines actually finding pilots who have those kinds of type ratings and 500 hours on type, or are they just looking for unicorns and white ravens?

Surely there must be some job for some airline that a 1900 skipper can get? Which airlines do you think would be happy to have me? I'd be happy to take a Q400 too, or an ATR... I have 4000 hours of which 2000 are turbine EFIS and 3000 are PIC.

Cheers!
Bart_Man

neilb767
29th May 2015, 13:31
Sorry bud , but they just don't seem to recognize turbo prop time.

golfyankeesierra
29th May 2015, 13:38
I'd like to go to the Middle East or Southeast Asia
Southeast asia would do: I know of ab initio pilots from Europe making hours at Lionair in Indonesia before moving on. And you make your hours fast I am told.
Pay will be bad though..

Bart_Man
29th May 2015, 14:21
I know the requirements are all so high.

Bart_Man
29th May 2015, 14:21
Thanks I'll have a look at that.

NGFellow
29th May 2015, 14:43
Saudi Aramco has hired guys in the past for turboprops with a chance to get some B737NG time. Aramco Jobs (http://www.jobsataramco.com). I think you need a college degree.

Bart_Man
29th May 2015, 14:49
Thanks, I've looked at Aramco, doesn't look like they're hiring right now. I have a college education in aviation. Don't have an FAA license though, but that's not hard to get.

NGFellow
29th May 2015, 18:12
ARAMCO seems to be hiring in spurts and so it may be wise to go ahead and get the FAA Airman Certificates when you can. All their AC are N registered and that's why they require the FAA Airman Certificates. I believe they now have the King Air 350 as well which should help your application with your B-1900 experience. They got rid of the 2 Twin Otters and the F-27. Not sure about the Dash 8.

Left Coaster
30th May 2015, 16:36
The jobs in the ME certainly require high levels of experience. And stop calling me Shirley. :p

Mr Angry from Purley
30th May 2015, 20:12
There is a B1900 operation in Bahrain

versatil
2nd Jun 2015, 12:19
Well first post since joining 7 years ago. I am also a Canadian pilot and have been working as an expat for 19 years now. Was on 1900 and DHC-8 in Canada before so I know what you are going through. I only managed to progress once I had jet time as a F/O. My advice to you, try to get a jet job in Canada even if it is a Citation or something like that. I know that companies are asking for heavier jet time but I think this will change soon and the requirements will go down in a year or two barring any major upset of the industry. They will prefer somebody with right seat time on a jet instead of left seat turboprop, I am sure you don't agree with that but that is the way it is in the ME or Asia. Thousands hours more on turboprop (even captain on ATR or DHC-8) will not help you at all. Just get right seat jet time, be patient, keep your ears open and it will happen in a few years time.
Bonne chance