View Full Version : Instructing in Australia

GonvilleBromhead
13th Jun 2001, 13:32
Hi all, I've tried to find the answer to this on other threads but not quite found a definitive. Is it a) possible and b)likely, to get work instructing in Oz armed with JAA ATPL & Instructor rating ? I'm not looking for F/O positions or longer term permanent employment there (at least not yet) but would like to instruct preferrably NSW area.

Is residency/permission to work a major hurdle, and is there a requirement to convert once there ? Thanks.

Charlie Foxtrot India
13th Jun 2001, 18:04
To convert the ATPL will depend on whether or not yours is "frozen", as there is no such thing here in Aus - you either have the hours, or you don't.

If you don't, you would need to convert to the Australian CPL by doing an Air Law exam and then doing whatever training is required to aquaint you with the way things are done here, and then the CPL flight test. If you have an ATPL and the hours you only need to do the air law exam according to my books, but you have to have a CPL to have an instructor rating so you would probably have to do the flight test for that reason.

With the instructor rating, you will need to do the whole course again and start from scratch as a Grade Three no matter what instructing experience you have.

To work in Aus you need either a Working Holiday visa, which allows employment in one job for up to three months, or residency, which is much harder to get; you have to pass the "points" test and be VERY patient...see your local Australian High Commission.

Not sure what the job situation is over East, but here in the West there is work for the higher grades 1 and 2, particularly with the big college that trains Chinese students, but it's a bit hard for grade threes to get a start unles they have a good network in the industry.

Having said that I did what you are thinking of doing eight years ago and have never looked back! Good luck.