PDA

View Full Version : Fadec Engines On B767

Vcl
11th Jun 2002, 13:37
A discussion point with a fellow pilot mate of mine on the B767 we operate has Fadec engines CF6'S.
What is the relationship between the Fadec computer and the EEC?
Is the Fadec computer used only predominantely during the start cycle or does it talk to the EEC computer or the TMC if the EEC has failed. Any around about answers would be appreciated.

warp factor
11th Jun 2002, 13:41
FADEC IS EEC BY ANOTHER NAME.

cirrus01
11th Jun 2002, 19:29
EEC= Electronic Engine Control

FADEC= Full Authority Digital Engine Control

Not exactly the same but for all intents and purposes the terms are interchangeable........:cool:

warp factor
12th Jun 2002, 09:14
CORRECT SIR.

Bally Heck
12th Jun 2002, 13:51
So how come non-FADEC 767s have EEC?

Edited to answer my own question.

Non FADEC engines have an EEC mounted on the HMU. These engines can be operated by conventional HMU control by disengaging the EEC.

FADEC engines have a dual channel full authortiy FADEC with no hydromechanical backup.

delarocha
12th Jun 2002, 18:49
I would like to develop Bally Heck answer.
The EEC (non FADEC) is called a supervisory control system and contains all elements of conventional hydromechanical control plus an engine electronic control. Boeing required the system to be designed so that failures in the electronic portions are passive and result in no thrust change. In this event the hydromechanical control then assumes complete governing of the engine. The hydromechanical element govern basic engine operation (starting, accell, decel, speed governing, vane and bleed scheduling). The electronic control provides precision thrust management, rotor speeds limit protection and transmission of information for cockpit displays.
The supervisory control systems were certified on B767 with JT9D-R4 and CF6-80A engines in 1982. At that time Boeing judged that overall control system design and reliability had not yet been established to the point where a full authority digital engine control (FADEC) could be pursued for the initial 767 airplane. The 767 with PW4000,CF6-80C,RB211-524H FADEC controled engines were certified in 1988/1989.
The FADEC control doesn't employ any hydromechanical computations except for a mechanical overspeed governor. The control performs the following functions: starting, accell, deccel, speed governing, vane and bleed scheduling, engine operating and rating data; fault detection, isolation and acomodation by each of the two EEC channels and indication of fault status for display and maintenance. Flight crew commands required to control the engine are input to the EEC.
Mechanical thrust cable systems are not required with FADEC controllers.
The autothrottle computer (TMC) provides a trim command data word to each FADEC controller on the digital data buses between the units. Each FADEC controller reads it's own trim word and implements the requested change in power setting. The A/T computer adjusts the word, as necessary, to achieve equal thrust on all engines. The FADEC controller limits the magnitude of the received trim word so that a failure of the A/T computer can not cause a significant thrusth change on the engines.

Regards

12th Jun 2002, 20:08
With reference to FADEC what is hard mode and soft mode reversion and how does momentary ADC data loss trigger this.

None
12th Jun 2002, 21:20
There are 3 types of engines used on the 767s I'm flying these days...the PW4060, the GE CF-6-80C non-FADEC, and the GE CF-6-80C FADEC. I notice that the PW engines like to synch the EPRs. The problem with this is that often the N1s will be off by typically .5%. This is noticeable in the mid cabin. I have even seen one pair that were off 1.0%, but one of these engines had 2 fan exit guide vanes removed for maintenance, and I attributed the difference to this fact.

The GE engines match N1s and are not a problem. I believe we are now standardizing on the GE engines, which is very nice because the PWs take forever to start. Why do they take so long to start compared to the GEs?

cirrus01
13th Jun 2002, 12:33
Don't know about the PW4000 series......... only know how bad the JT9 s were....... (Oil drinkers)

The RB211-524G/H are not full FADEC engines........ They have a FAFC, which is Full Authority Fuel Control.....Bleed Valves and VIGVs are still mechanical control.