PDA

View Full Version : Living in Kent during the war.

Centaurus
11th Jun 2002, 12:25
I was seven years old when war started in 1939 and lived in Cranbrook and Tonbridge during the war. Like thousands of other school boys of that era we watched the air battles, the battered B17's returning from raids over France and the Doodle Bugs snarling overhead.

If anyone is interested I am happy to forward by email to you an article that I wrote a few years ago based on those experiences. It is called "A Messerschmitt and a Blackbird on a Tree". An unusual title, the answer to which is in the last line of the article. About 8000 words. The article is just gathering dust on my hard drive, so anyone is welcome to read it.

DrSyn
12th Jun 2002, 00:04
Centaurus, I have sent you an email.

Chimbu chuckles
12th Jun 2002, 04:38
Hi Centaurus,

Dad faxed me (the doddery old fool won't go online:D) a copy of that...most interesting.

Given you and he are the same age and grew up 20 or 30 miles apart he was very excited to read someone else's recollections that so mirror his own.

Interesting that those times had the same effect on both of you...he joined the RAF and became a fighter pilot in 1950. The fact that you both served on Lincolns in the RAAF later in the 50s and have so many friends in common just goes to show how small the world really is.

That this proud, first born son has put you back in touch, through this Forum, after nearly 50 years is bloody most excellent:D

I look forward to the three of us going out and drinking to excess one day soon.

To all who read this I commend Centaurus' article to you! Flood the ol' bastard's email for copies, sit back and enjoy....:D

Chuck.

Fokkerwokker
12th Jun 2002, 07:33
Yes please!

Email sent

Many thanks

FW

Centaurus
12th Jun 2002, 13:48
All above email messages received. Story sent.
Loved talking to your Dad, Chimbu. We crucified and stuck pins into a a few mutual aquaintances of way back!:D

treadigraph
12th Jun 2002, 14:47
I'd like a copy too please Centaurus...

I'll email you!

Cheers

Julian