PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Locator Beacons 20 Years On

Dick Smith
25th May 2015, 02:27
Twenty years ago CASA had legislated on a mandate for ELTs that had to be permanently installed in aircraft. This meant the cost could be up to $8,000 including all engineering orders when a portable unit could be had for less than $500. Boyd Munro ran a very astute political campaign where he got the political system to disallow the CASA regulation – similar to what is happening at the moment. The CASA Board at the time, under the Chairmanship of Justice Fisher and with other members such as Gaby Hollows, supported the CASA “installed” decision. Since that date, tens-of-millions of dollars have been saved by our industry as most now have a portable unit which they can carry in their flying bag. I am interested - have any lives been lost because of Boyd Munro’s actions? I think not.

Thanks, Boyd. If CASA had won - as they do with virtually everything these days - the industry would be further economically damaged - if that’s possible.

Soteria
25th May 2015, 03:17
It was all downhill for AOPA after Boyd resigned from being President. The testicular fortitude of the organisation went with him. Isn't that right Lookleft?

thorn bird
25th May 2015, 08:37
Soteria, I wholeheartedly agree!!

Dick, you forgot to add in the cost of pulling all that stuff out of the aircraft. For them that may need to flog their pride and joy outside the land of OZ.

Our "world best practice" maintenance regulations are not recognized by the rest of the world.

Lookleft
25th May 2015, 11:06
HTFWIK keep barking up that tree though Soteria it provides hours of fun for the whole family. BTW does Kharryon know you have dropped your principles again and posted on this website?

Remember this declaration:

Thanks Tom, but I cannot bring myself to look at UP,

dubbleyew eight
25th May 2015, 11:21
Dick

I am soon to replace my third handheld beacon as its battery expires.
Never ever needed to deploy one thanks to my illegal, but successful, canadian owner maintenance.

I tell you what though I carry one in my top pocket now for international flights.
I won't be disappearing into a lonely ocean without a fight.