PDA

View Full Version : Shockwave problem

Cornish Jack
24th May 2015, 14:20
G'day all.
For the last couple of months or so my pooter (HP workstation Win7 64, 8Gbs etc.) has been 'stuttering to a halt on the 'net and flagging up a Shockwave problem dialogue box. Using the offered "Shut down plug-in" option clears the fault. Q. What does Shockwave do (other than irritate) and is there any simple cure? Any suggestions gratefully received.
TIA

dazdaz1
24th May 2015, 14:29
If your running Chrome............

How To Fix Shockwave Flash Crashes in Google Chrome (http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in-google-chrome/)

Avtrician
25th May 2015, 08:12
Here are a few tips to try as well.

Go to an electronics store, and get some heat sink paste. Open your puter, carefully remove the heat sink from the CPU, and clean the old paste off. Replce with new paste ans reassemble. Clean out the heat sink fins as well, and the fan blades

Next, remove your memory modules and give the contacts a rub over with a soft eraser. Clean off with an isopropyl alcohol spray and refit.

Do the same with the video card if one is fitted.

This may not fix the problem, but it sure wont hurt.

Cornish Jack
25th May 2015, 10:46
Thank you, both. I would still like to know what the PURPOSE of this plug-in is - if anyone can advise. As a temporary fix, I've selected the option to 'disable, until asked' for this plug-in and will see what effect that has.
ps - using Firefox updated to 21st May 2015.

Saab Dastard
25th May 2015, 13:57
Adobe Shockwave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Shockwave)

SD

Cornish Jack
26th May 2015, 11:48
SD - thank you.:O:O:ugh: Brain becomes disengaged very easily nowadays!! Another of those "What did Horace say, Winnie?" moments but I get the gist. Have selected it to operate on request only and seems to have fixed it.

Nervous SLF
14th Jul 2016, 21:03
I have had problems with this shockwave flash since it downloaded the latest version on
14th. I have tried un-clicking the security section in the Firefox plug in but it still wouldn't
work as before. The only way I could stop problems was to click on never activate but
now I am unable to view stuff so is there anyway I could revert to an earlier version please
? It needs to be a simple solution :O

vulcanised
15th Jul 2016, 11:28
It has been a PITA here for many moons. If it wasn't for my fondness for webcams etc., I would do without it.