PDA

View Full Version : Medicals Australia/Class 1 or 2?

absilo
24th May 2015, 00:29
Hi,

I would appreciate some advice about which type of medical i should book in for.
My instructor told me i only need a Class 2 medical certificate for my RPL. However, i have read everywhere that I will need a Class 1 medical certificate for both my PPL and CPL.
So my question is, what's the point of me getting a Class 2 medical now (for my RPL), when in less than a year i will need to go back for a Class 1?
Should i be getting my Class 1 from word go if my intentions are to proceed to PPL and then into CPL?

Thanks in advance.

BGQ
24th May 2015, 00:32
Simple answer is Yes... If you are contemplating an aviation career you need to know if you have any medical issues that will prevent such a career before you spend the cash.:hmm:

RequestAsymmetrics
24th May 2015, 02:04
Get a class 1. If your intention is to do your CPL, you need to be sure that there is no presently existing medical issues that will stop you from getting the class 1 later.

absilo
25th May 2015, 02:27
Thanks! I'll book in for a class 1 medical then.

Aussie Bob
25th May 2015, 04:58
I would tend to argue. First, you don't need a class 1 for a PPL. Second, your class 1 will no doubt expire before you need it resulting in another expensive medical.

Assuming you are young and fit and can see ok, just ask your doctor at the time of your class 2 if he can see any issues with getting a class 1 later. At this stage save the bucks for flying.

And by the way remember to say no to everything.

ControlLock
25th May 2015, 05:37
Also note that when you do a Class 1 medical, you also get a Class 2 at the same time, no extra charge.

After the first year, if you don't need the Class 1, the Class 2 is still current and doesn't need renewing for another year if over 40 and another 3 years if under 40.

When you finally get your CPL, schedule in the Class 1 medical.

ausdoc
25th May 2015, 06:13
A lot of good advice on this thread. It is a good idea to make sure that you can get a Class 1 medical before spending a lot of money on training. If you get a Class 1 up front, you can then let it lapse and continue your training on the residual Class 2 privileges.

And by the way remember to say no to everything.
I'm not sure that Aussie Bob's advice to make a false declaration on your medical is a particularly sound one. Remember that you are making a legal declaration that you, "have carefully considered every question the examiner has asked me in relation to the medical certificate I am applying for and I have reviewed the answers in the Medical Questionnaire and Examination form. I have answered every question correctly and completely".

It's easy for keyboard warriors to provide such cavalier advice, as they won't be the ones in the **** if/when the false declaration is discovered. Nor will it be considered a valid defence to say, "but some anonymous bloke/blokette on an aviation rumour website told me that's what I should do".

Caedus
25th May 2015, 06:34
I took a class 2 for my PPL. Class 2 lasts 4 years and I took 1.5 years to complete it casual. If I had a Class 1 it would have expired and had to do it again.

So if you're full-time going for CPL, definitely do class 1 straight off the bat.

Left 270
25th May 2015, 09:35
As mentioned, a class 1 reverts to a class 2 after 12 months and remains valid until the class 2 expiry soo, there is nothing lost in obtaining a class 1 over a class 2. And I can speak from experience that you may find things on a medical that will mean there could be a chance of a shorter career than expected. Get the class 1 :ok:

absilo
29th May 2015, 02:59
How long does it take for you to find out if you passed? Do you know on the spot or is there a wait?

Left 270
29th May 2015, 09:58
If there are no issues found then on the spot, if CASA need to rubber stamp any irregularities, then how long is a piece of string? Mine was months.

It won't all happen in one day also, you will need to see an eye doc, get jabbed by a nurse, and do an ECG. That is without finding anything, they can ask for a lot more.

absilo
3rd Jun 2015, 02:41
Fair enough, makes sense. Thanks!