PDA

View Full Version : Torygraph BoB gaffe

ExGrunt
22nd May 2015, 07:13
Great front page photo in today's Torygraph of a Typhoon in Battle of Britain colours flying with a Spitfire...

Sadly, in a gaffe worthy of 'The Grauniad' the picture actually shows a Hurricane:}

EG

Lynxman
22nd May 2015, 07:25
The on-line version is correct.

Background Noise
22nd May 2015, 07:26
You might want to add that to the other thread relating to the original poor press release which almost pre-empted this very thing.

pprune.org/military-aviation/561800-typhoon-has-had-painters-in (http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/561800-typhoon-has-had-painters.html)

Wensleydale
22nd May 2015, 07:27
Local BBC item did the same last night - the photo op for the journo on the ground was for the Spitfire/Typhoon double display team but the film released was that of the Typhoon flying with the Hurricane. One wonders if the fault lies with the MOD publicity department rather than the releasing agencies?

Jimlad1
22nd May 2015, 08:25
To be fair the Telegraph spent much of the week bleating about Russian 'spy planes' unable to tell the difference between that an an Open Skies flight...

Russian spy plane in British skies - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11618620/Russian-spy-plane-in-British-skies.html)

BossEyed
22nd May 2015, 11:21
The on-line version is correct.

It wasn't originally, so I assume they've had a flurry of emails correcting them. :E

ShotOne
22nd May 2015, 13:15
That's not a fair criticism, jimlad. The article mentions the treaty in its headline and clearly explains Open Skies and reasons for these flights.

Jimlad1
22nd May 2015, 14:38
To be fair, earlier versions of the story were less kind, while the Mail and Mirror were making out it was a nuclear armed bomber apparently. I'm fairly cynical about anything the DT puts out these days.

Old-Duffer
22nd May 2015, 15:21
I sent an email to the photo editor and have received a suitable 'apology' early this afternoon.

The DT accepts that it should have been picked up and when it was, later editions were corrected before going to press.

Old Duffer

Innominate
22nd May 2015, 18:34
In 2010 Flight's online archive Aviation History - Browse the History of Flight from 1909 (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html) had a large photo on the first page to mark the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. I emailed them to point out that, while PA474 flies with the BBMF, Lancasters didn't actually take part in the Battle. The photo was quickly replaced...

langleybaston
23rd May 2015, 14:15
Showed D Tel front page to SWMBO.

"Wassat?"

SWMBO: "Hurricane, innit!"

"Now read the caption!"

Nice photo, pity about the words.

Wander00
23rd May 2015, 14:30
When I first read the initial post of this thread I thought they had confused a Spitfire and a Typhoon - now that would have been Grauniad-worthy

langleybaston
23rd May 2015, 15:36
Surely not?

Both single engine, single seat Second World War fighters, easy to get confused. Apart from the Typhoon being twice the size.

And that reminds me, nice looking fighter that Lightning. Long range, twin boom ................

Wander00
23rd May 2015, 16:32
LB - not the "real" one, the pointy jetty one

soddim
23rd May 2015, 16:49
Whilst the Torygraph got it wrong, the Hurricane should have featured by right because it got more kills than the Spitfire in the B of B - and it should have with more Hurris than Spits available at the time.

glad rag
23rd May 2015, 17:16
'einkel
messesmit
'einkel
messesmit.

Ah well........................................................ .................................................... :ooh:

Wander00
23rd May 2015, 18:34
Soddim - you are not wrong there

Davef68
23rd May 2015, 21:21
Whilst the Torygraph got it wrong, the Hurricane should have featured by right because it got more kills than the Spitfire in the B of B - and it should have with more Hurris than Spits available at the time.

That and the fact the Typhoon is painted to represent a Hurricane

Tinribs
24th May 2015, 20:00
The Tele seems to have lost all military knowledge and the wisdom to seek it.
There have been several silly gaffs lately. One you may have missed was said to be the D of E "chatting to Officers" at a military event. One of the "Officers" was holding a pace stick which is the badge of office of a drill instructor, no officer would dream of touching one

Old-Duffer
24th May 2015, 20:15
Tinribs,

Have a care!

What rank was the person carrying the pace stick?

Warrant Officers of any grade can be referred to as officers in a generic sense.

O-D

side salad
24th May 2015, 20:57
I is finking edukational standards just issnt what they used 2 b:ugh: