PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP

hobo335
19th May 2015, 06:43
Gday guys,

Just wondering if anyone here has any recent (post part 61) experience in going to do the FAA ATP certificate and converting back to an Aussie ATPL?

Given the costs and hassles now involved am strongly considering heading over and just getting it done, I gather it is now more expensive that it used to be in the US but still looks a lot cheaper and less headaches than what is involved here in dealing with CASA and the MCC and >5700 flight tests.

I have noticed a number of gigs in the corporate arena now that ask for a full ATPL prior to applying even for right hand seat stuff so looks like it cant hurt to have.

Cheers

LeadSled
19th May 2015, 08:41
hobo,
As long as you have all the requirements, not a lot of substance has changed.
People are getting the minimum requirements for a job in the RHS with getting an ATR.
The Homeland Security clearances continue to be a bit of an issue, and then there is the matter of how's your driving record.
'tis all on the FAA web site and Homeland Security web sites.
Tootle pip!!

hobo335
19th May 2015, 10:40
Thanks for the info.

I have read conflicting reports that you require the flight test anyway also (in which case it makes the whole thing a bit pointless) but have also read that if you already hold an ME-CIR issued by CASA you don't require the ATPL flight test with a conversion. After much research and even contact with CASA I am still none the wiser on what the real story is.

Curious if anyone has actually done the conversion process since part 61 was implemented.

LeadSled
20th May 2015, 09:07
After much research and even contact with CASA I am still none the wiser on what the real story is.

Hobo335,

I hope that does not come as a surprise to you, and with Part 61, the system has become impossible. Just about every day, what is in the actual Part 61 as opposed to what "CASA" thinks is in it, is pointed out to some in CASA.

It is a completely unaffordable shambles.

Tootle pip!!