PDA

View Full Version : Aussie CPL License

OddballUK
11th Jun 2002, 05:26
I am thinking of undertaking my CPL in Australia - Can anyone tell
me the disadvantages of this if I want to fly commercially in Europe (Inc UK) and any possible costs involved

Thanks

Paul

Tinstaafl
11th Jun 2002, 11:17
Meanwhile, if you wish to convert from a JAA licence to Oz you will only have to do a conversion exam - mostly air law - & a flight test.

To convert to an FAA certificate still only involves a single exam & flight test but everyone does the same, single exam.

Damned unreasonable of the colonials, I say. ;)

Luke SkyToddler
12th Jun 2002, 09:53
... ditto all the above w.r.t. what a bunch of job protectionist bastards the JAA are.

It ain't all as bad as some would have you believe though.

Although the JAA won't recognize your Aus CPL, they will still give you credit for the hours you've logged. So the smart wannabe will come down under for a few months, and buy themselves a PPL and about 170 - 180 hours, including all the night / P1 / ICAO 300 NM crosscountry and all the other gubbins.

When you go back home, you'll still have to do the JAA ATPL theory exams and the "modular upgrade" compulsory training program (errmmm ... 25, or it might be 30, hours in a Warrior I believe) plus of course the JAA CPL flight test.

It still works out quite cost effective, particularly if you get yourself a multi engine rating while you're down here (yes before anyone points it out to me, I know you still have to do an 1179 test in the UK but, they won't make you do 5 hours of dual first which will save you 1500 quid right there). Your life will also be made easier on your return up north if you have managed to get a bit of time in a 'complex type' (i.e. retractable with a variable pitch prop) such as a PA28R or C172RG for example, you have to do your JAA flight test in one of those kind of machines nowadays.

Depending on where you go in Oz, the prices are between 50% and 70% less per flying hour than you'd expect to pay in the UK.

Unfortunately that's about as far as you can economize. Don't bother with trying to do an instrument rating down here, because it will be utterly disregarded by the JAA and you will have to do the full 55 hour dual course for the JAA IR, regardless :mad:

Best of luck.