PDA

View Full Version : Something to remind us of why we're here...

Oval3Holer
16th May 2015, 05:40
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/14/opinion/14-in-flight-mark-vanhoenacker.html?mabReward=A4&moduleDetail=recommendations-2&action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&region=Footer&module=WhatsNext&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&configSection=article&isLoggedIn=false&src=recg&pgtype=article

NoAndThen
16th May 2015, 07:03
Yeah all I got from that was 3-man Europe...

Leaving HKA
16th May 2015, 14:29
Its thinking like that article portrays that is killing this industry.

If we don't acknowledge that what we do is "WORK", then we have people thinking we're overpaid hobbyists.

How about reality.. "I had been in India 22 hrs, and was blind tired as I can't sleep after landing at 3am and then again prior to the trip.
Indian immigration took an hr to get by, my off sider is sidelined with the ****s running to the lav as we cross the Andaman Sea, the sun is blinding me as it rises at 6am. We autoland in HKG as both of us kept falling asleep on the approach."

Sorry, our professional service deserves professional pay.
I don't fly because I love it, in fact I feakin' hate it now.
I fly for cash. Plan and simple.

Oval3Holer
16th May 2015, 16:42
Yeah, good points, well taken.

I should have phrased it, "something to remind us of why we got started in this business."

Intercontinental flying once WAS a romance with the skies and the plane.

Now it's just a job...

sorvad
16th May 2015, 19:21
Leaving HKA...... How very sad

sorvad
16th May 2015, 19:27
In a bid to rescue Ovals post before its shot to pieces by malcontents , here's another great read

http://www.amazon.co.uk/With-head-clouds-Part/dp/0992643325

goingdown
17th May 2015, 00:48
Leaving HKA....have a long look at yourself in the mirror. We live only once.
It is very sad that hear that...spending half of your life hating what you do?

Yonosoy Marinero
17th May 2015, 05:08
Flying a horrible roster on which I have no control whatsoever despite my seniority, slowly killing myself with heavy doses of jetlag and night shifts, working for an employer that shows more respect to their office's plants than to any of their flying crew, the stress of landing a heavy with 300 pax through bad weather and worse ATC after having had no decent rest for 16 hours and having flown no sector in the last 30 days...

The only thing that reminds me why I'm here is the paycheck at the end of the month.
Then I adjust it for inflation, add my profit share and I start wishing I'd become a real estate agent. Or a male prostitute...

Oasis
17th May 2015, 05:48
Nicely written piece... Thanks for sharing Oval3Holer!

GANKER
18th May 2015, 05:51
Yonosoy,
You hit the nail right on the head with that one!

fastflaps40
18th May 2015, 11:04
The link with its blurred picture reminds me of a lot of promises followed by a lot of flying from the rear seat with broken promises.
I was told;
Join and you will have a window seat within 1.5years. Well that didn't happen.
Followed by don't worry you will have a command by 10years. Well that didn't happen either.
Don't worry we will fix the pay. But that didn't happen either.
Instead we are expected to fly with 65 year olds taking up seats while ground staff are offered higher pay rises than us without any negotiation.
Cathay same dream different team.
But wait so many people saying "there is no more money on the table". WTF?
Basically if you want a good deal NOW is the time to negotiate it.
Vote NO if you want a better deal, NOW is the time with low fuel prices, good pax loads and sparse pilots!

routetuner
18th May 2015, 12:14
Matey, you forgot to mention the 20 G days off a month and your overtime!Try the jumbo roster with half of what you get! whingeing pr..k!

Yonosoy Marinero
18th May 2015, 13:58
Ah, yes, the mighty Jumbo jet and its crew of heroic, valiant and fearless men.
Those prodigal and brave yet stern warriors whose exclusive possession of the right stuff allows them to defy the worst skies and rosters so that, thanks to their countless hours of unrecognized sacrifices behind the scenes, their astonishing prowesses, their remarkable abilities and their impossibly large manhood, the wheels of the entire business may turn another day and feed the lower classes of men and women such as the lowly Sissyjet drivers.

How may we ever thank you enough?

Now, I didn't chime in to antagonize anyone, but thank you for reminding everyone what you think of yourself.

And if that unrewarded bravery wears you down eventually, there's always that Joker...

PS: I consider myself lucky to get 10 Gs and three in a row. Not even S/Os get anywhere near 20.

Blowback
18th May 2015, 23:23
If I got 20 G's a month I would be ecstatic, fact of the matter is I'm lucky to get 8.

Scoreboard
19th May 2015, 11:51
Just got love the trolls that post if you hate it leave...

If it it was that easy.... Its thedeath of a thousand cuts.... Yeah each time the management chip something away....is it worth leaving your vested senioity? Nope.

But two decades of cuts and you wonder to yourself how you can endure...

Its cause you have done those 20 years does anyway just walk away? People endure abusive relationships for even longer....

We are all Stuck in some sort of perverted Stockholm Syndrome hoping the days of respect, good working conditions and benfits will return.....sorry that wont happen unless this gilded age of managers have heads mounted on pikes

routetuner
19th May 2015, 12:56
and you still don't make any sense.

fastflaps40
19th May 2015, 13:34
Root tuner
Who said anything about what fleet I was on. Winging p@&$k

SloppyJoe
19th May 2015, 22:25
The clue is ^^^^^

Don't think he was referring to you fastflaps

iceman50
19th May 2015, 23:45
SloppyJoe

I feel you are wasting your time.

fastflaps40 who was going to get a window seat in 1.5 years a command in 10 cannot even read posts properly! But he is a "winging" Richard.

stilton
20th May 2015, 08:44
While you're all feeling sorry for yourselves perhaps you could try a little perspective.

Imagine losing your medical at 45 years old after 28 years of dedication
to being a professional pilot and two short years in the left seat.

Life can be a lot worse.

AU-501
2nd Jun 2015, 23:54
i lost my medical just as I was about to join you bunch of fools. Though I miss flying. Do not think I will miss the bunch of morons you are. I had a long career in gen aviation in oz. The guys that broke all the rules and snivelled to the bosses got dragged up to cx and Qf first. Now you are the biggest whining types I know whom most of you are. RIP THE LOT OF YOU. Am I bitter? Very peaceful thank you very much. Enjoy the bed you made and stop dumping on the S/Os whom are reaping what you all sowed.

Arfur Dent
3rd Jun 2015, 00:55
But it is better than a tent. AU - you need to move on.

Trafalgar
3rd Jun 2015, 04:13
Bitter....oh no, not you. That doesn't come across AT ALL in your comments.:rolleyes: I think you need to let it go my friend, and find some other vocation that will make you happy.

(and you know who 'most' of us are.....all 3000+ of us). Don't make a fool of yourself ok.

PNM
3rd Jun 2015, 04:51
AU-501 location: [Psych] Ward 8. :)

The FUB
3rd Jun 2015, 05:27
AU-501.

You should reconsider employment with CX, there would be several management positions open to such an educated, well-mannered and well connected individual such as yourself.

AU-501
3rd Jun 2015, 17:17
you losers all dump on the S/O's for signing up we told you so blah blah. You idiots all signed up for b,c,d,e etc you created the mess now live in it. Getting on Social Media and re hashing the same stuff over and over has not worked. Maybe I am the advocate of the guy down stairs, I really feel for you guys but being negative is not going to change things, bring something positive to the table. Rooted if I know what it is I know not. Yes I was being a P****k in my last post. I was **** stirring-not sorry. These problems are not unique to HKG

As for living in a tent, buggered if I know where ya got that from- life has been good I just had to change my outlook. And the last ol mate nah would not work with that bunch of shirt lifters apart fm screwing each other they..... Well you know. The other pair can not remember what you had a dig about and do not care.

Best anyway gents and good luck.

Lowkoon
3rd Jun 2015, 22:38
Sorry FUB, he has aviation experience, no longer a pre requisite for a managerial role. Marketing or PR perhaps? Industrial relations liaison?

Yonosoy Marinero
5th Jun 2015, 07:23
I think he'd be a perfect fit in rostering.

By any measure, that level of hatred for CX pilots would be an asset for any entry-level management position in Kitty City.

AU-501
5th Jun 2015, 09:40
hello kiddies,
"Level of Hatred" .... blah blah, job offers, tent dwelling. You guys are pathetic. Now thank you all for the interest in my emotional well being, vocational direction and concerned for where I live. The business that I started employs my self and several others. I live in a very nice home. Breath clean air in a society that my business makes a contribution to ( and yours ). Whilst I do miss flying, I think that is why we all got into it in a big way, I am ok, thank you.
Now please do your best.
Bye

White None
5th Jun 2015, 13:22
Leave the guy alone! He has a great hobby, sitting contentedly in paradise vomiting on PPRUNE, Go figure???

Trafalgar
5th Jun 2015, 15:06
...you know, the more I read the comments 'he' posts...the more I...curious...."Anna, is that you...??"

CXChildLabour
5th Jun 2015, 17:40
i lost my medical just as I was about to join you bunch of fools. Though I miss flying. Do not think I will miss the bunch of morons you are. I had a long career in gen aviation in oz.

Had a "long" career and was only about to join, yeah sure. Keep dreaming big buddy, you'll make it one day.