PDA

View Full Version : Base training after type rating - How long?

EduardoQueiroz
15th May 2015, 12:08
Evening,

After completing a type rating (LST), how long does one have to complete the base training? In other words, does the LST have a validity period?

EASA land.
BD700.

Thanks!

Ed.

Pete O'Tewbe
16th May 2015, 08:18
From Annex I to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011:

FCL.725 Requirements for the issue of class and type ratings

(a) [..]

(b) [..]

(c) Skill test. An applicant for a class or type rating shall pass a skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part to demonstrate the skill required for the safe operation of the applicable class or type of aircraft.

The applicant shall pass the skill test within a period of 6 months after commencement of the class or type rating training course and within a period of 6 months preceding the application for the issue of the class or type rating.

EduardoQueiroz
16th May 2015, 08:44
Got it. Thanks very much!

Does the base training have to be on an EASA registered aircraft?

Pete O'Tewbe
16th May 2015, 11:00
In an effort to answer your question, albeit indirectly, you may wish to read the view of the UK CAA (purporting to represent the opinion of EASA) which can be found here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2014200.pdf).

ATOguy
16th May 2015, 11:35
No, it doesn't have to be on an EASA registered aircraft.
The TRI must be able to be the commander and to be an instructor according to the state of registry. This is no problem with Bermuda/Cayman/IOM validations, but can be more tricky with N or less common regs.

EduardoQueiroz
16th May 2015, 15:46
Hi Pete,

Thanks again!

I actually found that CAA notice.. They are indeed weasel words. I think that the notice is a little outside what I need.

I work for a non EASA company and wanted to put the new type on my UK EASA licence. The other option is to wait until 500 hours on type before adding the new type.

I asked the UK CAA to make an exemption to the base training requirement. My argument was that I had completed a full and approved EASA type rating and LST (in parallel to the UAE course) and that I was flying the aircraft, albeit, under a different licence/authority.

They said no, unsurprisingly. Worth a short though..

Happy flying.

Ed.

Welle
16th May 2015, 21:18
Take care on this one...

"No, it doesn't have to be on an EASA registered aircraft."

I had the same question to my CAA some time ago. They agreed that the base training can be made on a non EASA aircraft, BUT the pilot had to proove, that he was legal and approved to fly according to the CAA of the state of registry of the aircraft:

in my case: EASA licence, base training on Canadian or N registered aircraft.
Acc to my CAA the TC or FAA would have to approve an EASA licence holder to operate the aircraft for training purposes --- guess, how easy or successful this might be... (remember, you do NOT have the typerating in your licence, before doing the bounces..., CAA would have to recognise the TR course etc, as there is no basis for a validation yet)
Not to mention the aircraft insurance, if only a minor incident will happen.

Some CAAs still might accept this way, but please do not count on it..

my 2 cents
christoph

MaxZajcev
21st Dec 2015, 10:18
Guys, what about takeoffs and landings... how much time do I have to to perform it... also 6 months? Where I can find information about it. Cheers

PURPLE PITOT
21st Dec 2015, 16:20
MZ, that is exactly what this thread is all about!

dcoded
24th Dec 2015, 07:55
Greetings,

I had the same problems some 2 years ago.

My 6month period had passed.

At first my CAA said I needed to do the full type rating again :D :eek:

I wrote to my CAA (in Scandi land) and argued for my case.
In my argumentation there was also info that we would be doing 1 slot in sim plus a new skill-check. Also my colleagues from other EASA land had this exemption granted. This was also added to my letter, hehe.

And behold, my CAA gave in to reasoning and granted my exemption also.
If you need more info you can PM me.

lasvegas1
21st Dec 2017, 11:45
Hi Dcoded

I have a question regarding Exemption, can you please PM me it's very urgent. Thanks