PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Staff Accommodation - Non Crew

PorkChopExpress
13th May 2015, 15:06
Hi All,

I am currently looking to find out where EGHQ staff are provided company housing. Emirates are aware that I am married with one child and one on the way. I was shown around 21st Century Tower but advised that was mostly crew. I have also seen posts regarding Meydan but that there might typically be for Pilots/Cabin crew.

Can anyone advise what the current/planned locations are especially in relation to HQ staff with family. I will be Grade EK09 if that might be of use.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

FL3
13th May 2015, 18:11
Hi,
Meydan is not exclusive for pilots. Many departments are also placed in Meydan (Flight Operations, IT, Maintenance,...)
Regards

PorkChopExpress
14th May 2015, 13:40
Thanks for the information!

ChillinInTheDesert
14th May 2015, 13:46
Don't let them place you in Bur Dubai. If they won't offer a villa, ask for the 7 Towers in DSO or Tecom.

PorkChopExpress
14th May 2015, 14:55
Why not Bur Dubai? Is that an issue with the accommodation or location?

TransitCheck
15th May 2015, 03:32
lots of people, lots of traffic, and hookers come to mind.

ChillinInTheDesert
15th May 2015, 04:11
What he said ^

ChillinInTheDesert
15th May 2015, 04:12
And to add, just not a location where a lot of expat families live.

PorkChopExpress
15th May 2015, 08:21
And to add, just not a location where a lot of expat families live.

Which is pretty important to me, at least for an initial period. Thanks!

Str1tch
15th May 2015, 15:03
Villa accommodation in Silicon Oasis would be your best bet I would think. Both crew and non-crew I know live there.

ChillinInTheDesert
15th May 2015, 15:42
No problem. Housing is a big thing, your family must be happy.

PorkChopExpress
18th May 2015, 14:04
Villa accommodation in Silicon Oasis would be your best bet I would think. Both crew and non-crew I know live there.

Are the DSO villas spread across the area on in one place. Could you advise where?

Mummy
3rd Jun 2015, 18:27
I don't mean to burst your bubble but you'll have no chance of getting DSO. All new staff with families are being housed in Meydan Heights villas. Everyone else is slowly but surely being withdrawn from their villas elsewhere in Dubai including DSO And moved to Meydan Heights or Meydan South when it's finished.

halas
4th Jun 2015, 23:11
"Including DSO" ....I doubt that.

halas

SOPS
5th Jun 2015, 05:19
You will be going to Meydan for sure.

fliion
5th Jun 2015, 06:06
A neighbor just moved in is mgt. He was told all new pilots to Meydan and now all mgt & legacy pilots from Jumeirah etc to DSO (Dubai Silicon Oasis)

Another friend moving from Jumeirah, has been here 12 years is choosising DSO as first option which was offered as he has to move.

DSO days are not yet numbered....at least in the short term.

Dont shoot the messenger, just passing it on.

DSO is an good option for family

f.

pinotage
11th Mar 2016, 05:47
Hi All,

I am currently looking to find out where EGHQ staff are provided company housing. Emirates are aware that I am married with one child and one on the way. I was shown around 21st Century Tower but advised that was mostly crew. I have also seen posts regarding Meydan but that there might typically be for Pilots/Cabin crew.

Can anyone advise what the current/planned locations are especially in relation to HQ staff with family. I will be Grade EK09 if that might be of use.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi porkchopexpress, did emirates place you in a villa or flat? My husband is busy with joining formalities grade 9 in IT and HR mentioned to him grade 9 don't qualify for villas only for an apartment. We thought we would qualify for a villa. We have 2 kids.

Mrs Mangels
11th Mar 2016, 10:44
http://www.pprune.org/members/377925-mrs-mangels-albums-stuff-picture232-img-1506.jpeg

You rock
11th Mar 2016, 13:29
Hi porkchopexpress, did emirates place you in a villa or flat? My husband is busy with joining formalities grade 9 in IT and HR mentioned to him grade 9 don't qualify for villas only for an apartment. We thought we would qualify for a villa. We have 2 kids.

Pork chop

Please just stay where you are

The Outlaw
11th Mar 2016, 17:41
Hallas,

You are not correct.

From the top man himself...

All pilots will be housed in Meydan, Meydan south and Al Furjan.

I ask him specifically about DSO and DSO 2. His answer was "everyone hababi".

Once your housing contract comes toward the end, you'll receive the email to move.

Even those guys living in the "government" villas who never thought they'd get the boot got booted.

Its those 3 options or take the allowance.

harry the cod
11th Mar 2016, 18:10
The Outlaw

Not sure why you'd thing the GDV tenants would never think of being moved. The initial contract in 2003 was for 10 years. It was then extended for only 2 which would in itself imply that it's not going to be long term. I know of at least one colleague who's staying but will 'opt out' and pay the landlord instead. How much he's paying I have no idea but it's worth it for him to avoid the hassle of a move and increased school drive times. Have seen pics for Meydan South and it looks better than the 'Heights'.

Harry

fatbus
12th Mar 2016, 02:49
DSO is not going anywhere soon

parabellum
13th Mar 2016, 05:30
If it is anything like Gulf Air in Bahrain, 1975 and onwards you will go to the developments in which the 'directors' and other EK luminaries have a financial interest! Nothing like keeping it in the family! ;)

The Outlaw
13th Mar 2016, 08:31
Fatbus,

I don't mean to sound argumentative but that is what I was told by the big guy himself ,HAB. I was offered any one of 3 villa's in DSO and was told that the contracts in DSO go year to year only meaning that I could be moved again within one year. I spoke to a colleague has was recently sent to the camp who stated the same position from accommodation.

Those units in Meydan will not sit empty long.

Unless you have real information to the contrary since this time last year then I think you are deluding yourself

groundagent
13th Mar 2016, 10:05

Same here, grade 9 is an apartment, grade 10 is villa. The building I am in is mainly cabin crew sharing but their own room. Flight deck, engineers and EGHQ with their own apartment. There are a few families here, but as flight deck with kids get a villa, there are not many in my experience. If you need any info, feel free to PM and I'll help if I can.

Good luck.

GA

pinotage
14th Mar 2016, 11:05
Same here, grade 9 is an apartment, grade 10 is villa. The building I am in is mainly cabin crew sharing but their own room. Flight deck, engineers and EGHQ with their own apartment. There are a few families here, but as flight deck with kids get a villa, there are not many in my experience. If you need any info, feel free to PM and I'll help if I can.

Good luck.

GA

Thanks GA! We decided to take the accommodation allowance instead. With him based at HQ, Mirdif seems like an affordable option with a short enough commute. So, now we are busy looking for that perfect villa (on a low budget) outside the flight path ;-)

migair54
25th Mar 2016, 11:24
Hi there.

I have a question regarding the company accommodation, if I opt for the unfurnished option, are the kitchen appliances supplied? Fridge, stove and washing machine or that is not included??

I tried to found out an answer for this but I can't find anything.

I have been told on an email that no apartments are empty currently so I have to go to temporary accommodation for a while, I hope is not too long because that Premier inn is terrible place to stay for more than 3 or 4 days.

Thanks guys.

Fellowship of the drink
25th Mar 2016, 14:40
try 9 months

P7xkk
26th Mar 2016, 10:13
Mig, do yourself a favour, take the unfurnished option.
The items included in the package are just not worth it. Trust me, we have been there and done that.
The mattresses are rock hard, the sofas uncomfor table, the fridge is too small.
Better to go to Home Centre, Better Life (EPC discount), or any number of other places.
Seek and ye shall find.......

migair54
26th Mar 2016, 11:57
9 months in the Premier inn?? I don't think I can survive that, I stayed there 5 days and I was very much looking forward to leave the place.

P7xkk, Thank you for the reply, actually after few comments very similar to yours by some guys I know in EK, I finally ask for the unfurnished accommodation, I think it's better to take the 45000 and buy whatever We really like in the different shops, most of them offer free delivery and installation so it will be ok I think.

P7xkk
26th Mar 2016, 12:12
9 months in the Premier inn?? I don't think I can survive that, I stayed there 5 days and I was very much looking forward to leave the place.

P7xkk, Thank you for the reply, actually after few comments very similar to yours by some guys I know in EK, I finally ask for the unfurnished accommodation, I think it's better to take the 45000 and buy whatever We really like in the different shops, most of them offer free delivery and installation so it will be ok I think.

Good choice! You should be able to find what you need to survive initially. Then your better half can join in when she arrives!

BANANASBANANAS
26th Mar 2016, 14:31
We took the fully furnished option - mainly because we had so much other crap to deal with outside of EK that we just didn't want the hassle. Most of the furniture is fine but I do agree with the coments about mattresses. They are like slabs of concrete and do need replacing if you want a good night's sleep.

If you have the luxury of spare time (a rare commodity in EK at the best of times) then I would recommend taking the allowance.

Aluminium shuffler
26th Mar 2016, 18:00
Most who took furnished quickly sell the furnishings and replace them out of their own pocket. You're much better off taking the allowance.

Unfurnished also mean unequipped - you'll have a kitchen sink and that's all. You will need to buy washing machines, dryer, oven, microwave, dishwasher and everything else yourself. I'd recommend Carrefour. You will also need to arrange and pay for the first gas bottle installation, if you get a gas oven, but the company pay for all subsequent gas bottle replacements.

It is recommended to get a water cooler and water bottle contract or a water filtration system. The water is safe enough, but it does have a lot of very fine sand (shows up when the filters are replaced if you get a system) and there is still a bit of chlorine in the water from the desalination process. That causes accelerated hair loss and skin issues from the showers, but ingestion has effects in the long term. If you prefer the water bottles to a filter system (5000AED), then you can also get special shower heads or filters in the Mirdiff mall to remove the chlorine.

migair54
28th Mar 2016, 07:02
Thank you very much guys for your feedback, It is greatly appreciated and I have copy few suggestion you've made.

I know it will take some time to get all the stuff in the house but since EK has already told me to get comfortable in the Inn because no apartment is available, I think i will have time to go and start checking out all the stuff and the day I got the place arrange all.