PDA

View Full Version : Yanks Over Cornwall!

pendrifter
13th May 2015, 11:37
Hi,
Yesterday a pair of F-15's [I think] over Bodmin Moor, but a bit far away.
Evening heard but not seen, so don't know if they were the same.

But at 12.30 today, heard a single roar coming over. Got outside just in time, to see going over my cottage, very low. Not seen a low flyer as this for years. Nearly took the chimney off! Only seen for a second, but a great sight.

Anyone an idea of what's going on. Could do with a lot more to brighten up the day.

27mm
13th May 2015, 12:15
Probably doing a flypast at Culdrose, tsk tsk......

VX275
13th May 2015, 12:28
Probably a new guy on the Sqn being shown just how small 'Lil old England' is.
They quite often fly past Boscombe just to have a look at Stonehenge.
Bloody tourists.

Double Hydco
13th May 2015, 14:07
Had a few visits the the West Country over the past couple of years, and other than an occasional RN helicopter, the yanks are the only military aircraft I've seen. The sky used to be thick with Hawks, Sea Harriers, Jetstreams etc....

Rosevidney1
13th May 2015, 19:58
Hawks and helicopters are pretty common over my part of the delectable Duchy. Also see the wrongly named Avenger (Beechcraft 350) on occasion.

JointShiteFighter
13th May 2015, 21:40
I spotted a jet at very high altitude, yesterday evening. The airframe was very hard to see, but the contrail was moving at such a speed, it was definitely not a civilian airliner.

Tankertrashnav
14th May 2015, 08:22
Could have been. They are instructed to fly at high mach numbers when chemtrailing is operative to ensure maximum distribution of the droplets ;)

diginagain
14th May 2015, 08:46
Could have been. They are instructed to fly at high mach numbers when chemtrailing is operative to ensure maximum distribution of the droplets Somewhat wasted; would anyone be able to spot the symptoms among the indigenous population? :)

cornish-stormrider
14th May 2015, 08:53
Oi
Quiet you
We'm not all inbred pasty munching half wits

Double Hydco
14th May 2015, 09:38
Just seen what a think was a Hawk scud-running Southwest bound near Salcombe. I guess the Thursday war is underway?

thunderbird7
14th May 2015, 09:42
I think they've been thursday warring all week! Much activity along the south coast and Hawks interfering with our private flying airspace Tuesday night ;)

COORS54
14th May 2015, 09:49
I was just about to take a sip of my G&T and the peace of a Padstow evening was rudely interrupted by two F-15E's scorching NNW from the Bodmin area - how rude! Followed about ten minutes later by another two, cheek!

Please do it more regularly, Sea Kings and Lynx are OK but nothing beats a low fast pass by a mil jet, I would prefer our own but any other friendly nations hardware is appreciated.

Tankertrashnav
14th May 2015, 10:02
I would prefer our own

You may have to wait, I think it's in the hangar having some work done at the moment :(

COORS54
14th May 2015, 10:55
New elastic band? Treasury finally coughed up?:)

eastern wiseguy
14th May 2015, 13:56
Probably heard about the Bears a week or so ago......typical spams....always late....:E

Martin the Martian
14th May 2015, 13:59
Fast, noisy afterburning jets would indeed appear to be the exclusive preserve of our American guests, or has the south west disappeared off MoD maps?

N.HEALD
14th May 2015, 17:48
There was a pair of Tornado GR4's sub 1000 feet flying over Exeter city yesterday around 5:40 ish

Wander00
14th May 2015, 17:56
Until he had to get a real job post-uni, my youngest drove RiBs for an income of sorts, but it took him interesting places like the J Class Regatta in 2012, and driving photographers on the Olympic regatta courses during the racing, but also being a "small terrorist launch" for the Thursday war and other exercises. had a high old time - called me once on his phone as Hawks screeched overhead and a heli was hovering within feet. Saw him at it once on news reel shots of the pre Olympic security training off the W coast of Scotland, Saw a RiB whizz across the shot with an unmistakeable stance of Will driving it. Was I jealous - too right I was!

Wokkafans
14th May 2015, 18:13
Rotary traffic is very light here these days even though we are not too far from Odiham. On the plus side Thursday is night flying so fingers crossed for later this evening :ok:

frodo_monkey
14th May 2015, 19:27
There was a pair of Tornado GR4's sub 1000 feet flying over Exeter city yesterday around 5:40 ish

It was only a singleton I'm afraid - I was in the boot... Using my in-laws in Cornwall for some target practice :)

Edit - might have been a pair earlier, I was there a couple of hours later at about 1930

Hangarshuffle
14th May 2015, 20:06
Six hours on high on the spine of England today watching the fly and often the sky I saw in total 3 Tornado hdg south, and two black painted Hawks hdg SE, all low levelish. That was it. But then we are saving money and paying less tax by having less in the air (or at least I am, so crack on and just remember the past and not expect a return to the future).

Tankertrashnav
14th May 2015, 22:00
Another unusual visitor to Cornwall - there was a Tucano in the circuit at Culdrose this afternoon - something I have never seen before, and I live in the Culdrose MATZ. Coincidentally Rosevidney was in Helston as well, only about half a mile from me as it happened, and he saw it too

We both also heard (but not saw) a very noisy jet with afterburner taking off around the same time (louder than the resident Hawks) but neither of us saw it.

Wasn't you was it frodo monkey, dropping in on the in-laws? ;)

Wokkafans
15th May 2015, 11:04
From famine to feast - a formation of three Chinooks nice and slow over us at noon today. Happy 100th 18(B) Sqn :D

Next time you are passing you can land in the field - a brew is always on :E

KyleG
16th May 2015, 06:06
The Tucanos are currently on a temporary deployment to Yeovilton and two popped into Culdrose for the night.

F-15s are more common down here than you'd think, they must quite like the scenery! :)

Tankertrashnav
16th May 2015, 08:47
Thanks KyleG. Hope they didn't over indulge when visiting the fleshpots of Helston!

Rosevidney1
16th May 2015, 18:46
Helston has fleshpots? Colour me staggered!