PDA

View Full Version : LAX landing minus left gear.

SAMPUBLIUS
11th May 2015, 20:41
One of the smoothest landings despite no left main gear- no fire, no injuries,

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-plane-lax-mechanical-problems-20150511-story.html

WELL DONE !

Plane makes belly landing at LAX; no injuries | abc7.com (http://abc7.com/news/plane-makes-belly-landing-at-lax;-no-injuries/713802/)

Plane forced to land at LAX after landing gear malfunction - LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-plane-lax-mechanical-problems-20150511-story.html)

SkyWest Airlines plane was forced to make an emergency landing Monday morning at Los Angeles International Airport after its pilot reported mechanical problems, officials said.

Flight 5316 departed from Monterey about 6:50 a.m. with 43 people on board and was heading to Los Angeles, when the pilot reported mechanical problems, airport spokeswoman Katherine Alvarado said. It landed about 8:23 a.m. on Runway 24L.

The airline later confirmed that the plane’s left landing gear failed to extend. The plane operates as United Express

India Four Two
11th May 2015, 22:01
Fascinating. None of the reporters bothered to mention what kind of aircraft it was. :ugh:

skyhighfallguy
11th May 2015, 22:12
Bombardier CRJ200 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_CRJ200)

another article indicated type.

Dear Journalists:

Who
What
Where
When
Why
How

the 5W's and H.

The only point of departure I've seen was "NORTHERN CALIFORNIA". That's like saying Northern Europe. too many towns, where was it from?

fleigle
11th May 2015, 22:33
skyhighfallguy
It says in the first post where it was from.
:(

skyhighfallguy
11th May 2015, 23:24
ok, where?

I read the last two links. Each article should have all the information of the 5ws and 1h

West Coast
11th May 2015, 23:30
It departed KMRY.

vapilot2004
12th May 2015, 01:57
My neck of the woods! Well done Cap!

ACMS
12th May 2015, 02:18
Seems text book.
Well done all.

Worth noting that it appears the pax didn't take carry on bags with them as they evacuated the Aircraft, well done to them as well.

Good outcome.:ok:

multycpl
12th May 2015, 08:30
Well done all involved..

MD83FO
12th May 2015, 16:07
I was surprised to see spoiler extension though

Longtimer
12th May 2015, 18:49
Re spoiler extension, wouldn't that have allowed a more rapid deceleration or were you talking about the flaps?

West Coast
12th May 2015, 21:57
CRJ Logic was met for at least some of the boards to come up with one main on. It's been a long time since I've flown the type, but the QRH may have directed manually deploying the remainder which normally takes both wheels touching.

StinkyMonkey
14th May 2015, 19:02
Some media outlets were reporting that the aircraft was dumping fuel over the Pacific before the landing... I don't think a lot of carriers invested in that option. ;-)

John Farley
14th May 2015, 19:37
MD83FO

After touchdown and once the wing dropped with the aircraft more nose-up than normal there would be more lift than usual. So my take on the spoilers, is that they would reduce residual lift as quickly as possible. Any significant lift with a left bank would make it harder to keep from veering left.

No Fly Zone
18th May 2015, 19:58
As with most aircraft events, highly skilled flying and truly horrible press reporting. I suspect that current media objectives are to publish as quickly as possible and worry about important/accurate facts later. Sad.:{

Naali
18th May 2015, 23:43
Fine Pilotage. I would also let the all hanging,to reduce the speeds on touchdown. See how they stopped almost on centerline,despite the problem. Professional work.

SLFguy
19th May 2015, 08:15
objectives are to publish as quickly as possible and worry about important/accurate facts later

You're talking about R&N right?..

Skeleton
19th May 2015, 10:47
SLFguy, coffee spat over keyboard moment right there, brilliant :D

From the short clip i saw, good to see also the pax getting off minus there bags and the kitchen sink they had bought along as hand baggage.

Mechta
19th May 2015, 12:51
With regard to the reporting, now that the principal reporting method is online, which can be updated, what is the problem with reporting what is known, and updating with what becomes known/verified later?

The worst is when journalists fill in the gaps with guesswork and get it wrong, thus causing further misreporting and unnecessary distress.

At least with the photo, anyone who wants to can look up the registration and confirm the aircraft type.