PDA

View Full Version : US Customs, cabotage, private.

Studsgaard
11th May 2015, 11:44
Hi guys,

Recently I arrived in the US with a European registered biz jet. It was a commercial flight and customs is straight forward.
Later we ferried ‘privately’ to a different US airport to pick up the owner and continue on a private trip.
With regards to the ferry flight: The customs officer at departure told me to file an eAPIS while the customs officer at the destination said I shouldn’t have. She just wanted a ‘movement’.

I am aware of the ‘Permit to Proceed’ procedure if we continued commercially. I am also quite convinced that the eAPIS is ONLY for an international flight (departing or arriving). Every time I ask at a customs office I get a different answer. Could someone clarify what documents are needed to advice customs of a private domestic flight in the us by a foreign carrier?

Thanks!

Regards
Christian

dallas
11th May 2015, 12:14
Hi Christian

eAPIS is a border control measure and is only needed at point of entry and point of departure from US territory. Internal US sectors don't count and CBP aren't interested.

Based on what you have said, you do need a TSA Waiver - broadly equivalent of a landing permit - which lists all locations you are operating to (including before and after USA), crew and aircraft details.

Carry copies of both with your crew docs.

The only other document we routinely give our US flights is a finance form that declares importing >$10k, which keeps CBP happy.