PDA

View Full Version : Advise to all at students going solo

The Greener Grass
22nd Jul 2001, 21:33
This is a little advice to all PPL students, based on some of my own experience - nothing else.

Having just read the thread 'not happy with 1st solo' I thought it would be good to highlight an issue I encountered shortly after doing my 1st solo.

This is to be very very careful when doing touch and gos especially, that you don't accidently apply differential braking (i.e. one side only) when trying to track the centreline.

This danger was not really highlighted enough by my instructor, and I only found out when doing circuits myself, and if not on your guard is very easy to do in a Cessna.

The aircraft will suddendly pull to one side of the runway and you think you are going to turn it over - basically it is in control of you, not vice-versa. A VERY dangerous situation that, certainly the most dangerous thing I think(!) I have done incorrectly as a student.

I hope that the above will be of use to somebody.

Cheers

TGG

Luke SkyToddler
23rd Jul 2001, 01:41
From an instructor's point of view, this is normally caused by students looking INSIDE THE COCKPIT at the throttle and flap lever on the touch and go. You've got to stay focused outside with the eyes tracking the runway centreline, keep the feet working, and get the flaps up / power on by feel only. Helps (in the C152) to slide the thumb across at the same time and check you've put the carb heat in.

RVR800
23rd Jul 2001, 12:00
WHEN USING JUST RUDDER TO STEER KEEP YOUR
HEELS ON THE FLOOR ...

THEN YOU CAN'T APPLY THE BRAKE

[ 23 July 2001: Message edited by: RVR800 ]

NewBloke
23rd Jul 2001, 13:22
Don't some instructors suggest shuffling your feet down and steering with the balls of your feet rather than your instep - thus ensuring brakes are not touched !?!?

Tinstaafl
23rd Jul 2001, 16:29
NewBloke

Yes, some of them do. Me being one of them!

The Greener Grass
23rd Jul 2001, 22:15
Excellent advice there from all of you. Out of interest LST I am 70% sure that I managed it not by looking inside at the controls e.t.c., but by not really being aware of the ease of unintentional brake application.

I did have no problems at all in a PA-28 before I managed to do it in a Cessna, so it is either easier to do in a Cessna, or I taught myself a very bad habit at the same time as changing aircraft, although fortunately only for 1 flight!

But yes, HEELS ON FLOOR - that really does need to be reinforced from your instructor, and if it isn't remember this thread next time you fly!

trustno1
24th Jul 2001, 15:17
Another tip slightly off the point is to check the mags. Shortly after going Solo for the 1st time I took off on one mag. At 500 feet I noticed a change of pitch in the engine. Called immediately for a return to the field. Did'nt realise my mistake till I was back on the ground. Felt really stupid and I nearly did something I had'nt done since I was a baby.

Safe Flying Everyone.