PDA

View Full Version : Just Toys?

GregP
10th May 2015, 04:49
Some one has suggested that i use a flight sim program on my laptop as an adjunct to IFR currency. Who's used such a program, did it contribute to your continuing instrument competence and what program(s) and controllers are worth looking at?

:confused:

peterc005
10th May 2015, 04:56
FSX is great, but is not available for sale any more by Microsoft.

Instead it is sold by Lockheed Martin as Prepar3d. It's great, but you should also buy a good quality yoke and pedals at least.

jas24zzk
10th May 2015, 08:06
I've used every version of MS Flightsim since Version 5.

As a flight trainer, it lacks somewhat, even with decent controllers, they lack true 'feel' . Also unless you wish to invest in multiple screens and things, the view out takes some getting used to.

As an IFR 'practice' platform, it is GREAT. VOR's NDB's , holding patterns...other instruments like the G1000, Dynon (pretty much all the common stuff) can be added for procedures practice.

Add in the real Wx that is available online (not an add-on), or dial in the weather of any day you have an ARFOR for, and you can practice some really tough approaches etc.

Sure you cannot log it, but it is certainly a cost effective platform for the part time or learning IFR pilot, or the student, or a NVMC holder.

As for controllers, I gave up on force feedback years ago. I use a Saitek, Stick and Throttle combo, with twist for Rudder. It takes a lil getting used to but doesn't take long. ( you can set the sim to do auto rudder if you so wish)

Enjoy.

4forward8back
10th May 2015, 08:10
I spent $300 on Prepar3d, a saitek yoke and pedals when doing my IFR training. I reckon it saved me 10x that. Excellent for procedure training.

You do need to know how to use the sim though, that can take some working out.

Got a few odd glances from the wife when I was making radio calls in the study tho!

Jay Bo
10th May 2015, 09:08
X plane is much better platform for ifr training. Lots of sims around use their FAA approved edition

DynaBolt
10th May 2015, 09:46
Use it to increase your scan rate... Works well....
Dynabolt

rmcdonal
10th May 2015, 10:11
FSX is great, but is not available for sale any more by Microsoft.

FSX is available on Steam Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/)
FSX cut themselves a bit short by not allowing your GPU to run your graphics the way it is designed, and instead it loads up your CPU.
X Plane is much better for graphics and flight physics as it is not technically a flight sim in the way FSX is, but is actually used for aircraft design. You can build your own aircraft from scratch and then see how it goes.

For IFR practice FSX is probably the better option, the view outside doesn't really matter when you consider what you are using it for.

jas24zzk
11th May 2015, 12:06
Not sure what I have here....just did an evilbay search of people selling FSX.....and it was all expansion packs.

I will have an original copy of FS2002 or FS2004 that will be just as good for IFR procedures...scan work etc (not sure, as I only ever purchased OEM every second version.)

I'll dig it out in the next day or so....If i can find it and you think it will suit you, you can have it.

Cheers
Jas

deadcut
11th May 2015, 12:35
To be honest FSX is much better than some of the instrument sims that I have used in my short career so far.

The one with the clicker (no visuals) comes to mind. ATC810 is the name.

In FSX you can load up pretty much any aircraft you desire (payware) and beef up the sim with weather, scenery, ground objects until you computer can't handle it. Mighty helpful come renewal time.

jas24zzk
11th May 2015, 13:01
Dead cut,

you have been able to do that all the way to FS95...and it is not all payware....infact some of the payware is crap compared to the freeware

Centaurus
11th May 2015, 13:03
I reckon it saved me 10x that. Excellent for procedure training.

In another era I recommended to my new student pilots they first spend three or four hours (over several days) undergoing dual instruction in a synthetic trainer on basic flying manoeuvres (ie straight and level, climbing and varying airspeeds and even radio calls. We used a former Ansett D4 Link Trainer owned by Keith Hants at Essendon.

Keith was a former RAAF Lancaster pilot with a fund of good stories. The student pilots learning to fly the Link Trainer had little choice but to listen to Keith's war stories as they tried to concentrate on my instruction on medium level turns and even looking outside the D4 Link to check all clear before turning. They quickly learned to multi-task listening to Keith with one ear and me with the other ear. Lots of laughs too.

The point being when they afterwards first stepped into a Cessna 152 at Essendon, they were already familiar with aeronautical terminology and what each ancillary control did. Their hours to first solo came quite quickly compared with others who did not have initial Link training. I am convinced it is cost effective to start on a synthetic trainer for the first few hours before flying a real aircraft.

mikedreamer787
11th May 2015, 15:16
Hantsy was a damn good instructor and did my initial IFR with him at Essendon. Enjoyed his stories and moreso his advice.

He also ditched a busted DC4 engine in Port Phillip Bay.

oldpax
7th Jul 2015, 10:13
I have a copy and loaded it onto an old laptop,however I cannot find the product key!!Can any kind hearted Ppruner provide me with one?

jas24zzk
7th Jul 2015, 12:04
I have a copy and loaded it onto an old laptop,however I cannot find the product key!!Can any kind hearted Ppruner provide me with one?

Did you ever register it with microshaft? They are actually more helpful than you think.

There are other ways to get a key, but I am not going to openly, or via pm tell you how on this site.

astalavista baby

Cheers
Jas

Pinky the pilot
7th Jul 2015, 12:07
Slight thread drift;

a former RAAF Lancaster pilot with a fund of good stories.

Centaurus; Didn`t they all have a fund of good stories? But what is really sad is that the vast majority of them never put pen to paper as it were. :sad:

And now, those stories are lost forever.:{

I still remember propping up the Bar of a Gliding Club one night back in the early 70`s listening to a former RAAF Wireless Op on Lancasters talking to a former Luftwaffe JU 88 Nachtjaeger Pilot, along with my Father who was a Coastal Command Sunderland Flying boat Pilot.

Most of the conversations were punctuated by roars of laughter! They never really talked about the nasty stuff!:hmm:

jas24zzk
7th Jul 2015, 12:14
The Ju-88 guy wasn't Frank Zeptor was it? I thought he was on 190's

Pinky the pilot
7th Jul 2015, 12:19
The Ju-88 guy wasn't Frank Zeptor was it?

Negative. Initials were U A. You wouldn`t know him.