PDA

View Full Version : BAE vs OATS

bluedragon
22nd Jul 2001, 20:59
I'm trying to make that difficult decision on flight schools - can anyone tell me how BAE in Jerez is likely to compare with OATS. Whilst this is probably difficult as it's unlikely that too many students have enrolled at both. I'm 32 and will be self sponsored. From most of the postings I've seen, I sense that Oats may not care too much for the self-sponsored student. Is this likely to be the case with BAE too, or have I just been reading biased postings? Thanks.

Wor
23rd Jul 2001, 01:10
Hi Bluedragon

Best advise I got when asked similar question is to use the search and look at all the historical data in Wannabes on both sites......... will answer most questions. I am probably starting in Jerez in Oct (medical still outstanding) so will be able to offer more advice after that..... probably. Spoke to Mary Jo Sanchez last Sat ( Jerez marketing etc ) at Flyer meeting in Manchester and they are taking on BA ab initio in Sept, 14 students per class, they do more multi engine hours than OATS..... which maybe of help..... Also spoke to Chief instuctor at OATS, and asked why OATS? he replied, and I quote ' you learn real life at OATS, such as you can't always get flying time as there are alot of people there!!!!!!! when planes go tech etc. It is always very busy'..... If you want any further info then email me and i'll do my best to help.

Wor ;)

So it is
23rd Jul 2001, 21:26
I have just completed my course at BAE and I was self sponsored and never had any problems with slots or instructors. They are also a lot more friendly as it is a smaller site and everyone gets on well and the facilities are first class. Feel free to email me if you wish.

[ 23 July 2001: Message edited by: So it is ]

VFE
24th Jul 2001, 01:39
Wor,

I too am pencilled in for the October 1st course at BAe. E-mail me if you like.

VFE.

FlyingGiraffe
24th Jul 2001, 17:33
Hey, cool guys -- that makes three of us... although there's a small possibility I may have to delay until the Nov 29th start date as my main finance helper is disappearing off to Australia with my mum in September!! ;)

Feel free to email me - addy is in profile.

sydneyc
24th Jul 2001, 18:28
bluedragon (plus the others signed to Jerez)

Interested to read your post. I am in a very similar position to you but have moved away from Jerez because of some reports on this site that a move on their part to bring in sponsored ab initio students could marginalise us self-sponsor students. A real shame as BAE is such a good name.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this and whether this has been evident in any of your research. Either post a reply or send me an email. I guess I want to be persuaded to head out to Spain!

Le-Slat Disagree
24th Jul 2001, 19:14
WOR, VFE & FlyingGiraffe looks like four of us. Deposit has been sent!!! :D

sydneyc
True, there are going to be a few ab initio's in Jerez. However, it's not unheard of for airlines to 'aquire' self sponsored students. After all we are getting the same, high quality, training. BAe have quite a large contacts list too. They will try to help as much as possible in finding you employment.

At the end of the day, where ever you train, you will have your CPL/IR and frozen ATPL. Which hopefully gives you a better chance of employment than alot of other people.

Please drop me an e-mail if you need any help.

Cheers

Le-Slat :cool:

sydneyc
25th Jul 2001, 03:22
bluedragon,

would be interested to hear how your research is going over choice of school - pls drop me an email with an update.

Thanks

sydneyc

bluedragon
25th Jul 2001, 23:33
SYDNEC, Research has not developed too much so far. By the way - do BAE have a dedicated website for their training school. I think the info I have from them is possibly out of date. Will let you know if I find out more.

tunneler
26th Jul 2001, 00:38
well having arrived in jerez a mere 11 hours ago all I can say is the sun is hot, the póol is brilliant and the beer is cold!!!!

Shame someone said we have to start working on monday!!!!!

Tunny

So it is
26th Jul 2001, 01:30
The web address is www.baesystems.es (http://www.baesystems.es)

Not the best site in the world but hope it helps you all out.

sydneyc
26th Jul 2001, 01:39
bluedragon,

thanks for your reply. You seem hooked on the integrated route - and I agree with you - but have you looked at SFT in Bournemouth? It may not be sunny Spain, but they appear to take only self-sponsored students. My thought is that this may suit those of us who are that little bit older (>30). Please keep me up to speed with your decision-making!

sydneyc

So it is
26th Jul 2001, 11:57
I dont know why you guys are worried about being over 30. There are many people at BAE that are over that age and they all seem to do very well.

Also BAE cant afford to let the self sponsored guys slip, because there is actually more self sponsored people at Jerez than sponsored and this will be the case for quite a while. Also from what I have seen in my time of the BA guys out there doing the LOFT course they all eem to be decent guys and dont look down on the self sponsored guys and they also used to provide a free barbecue with free beer as well when they left as a thank you. I dont think that happens at OATS or SFT.

sydneyc
26th Jul 2001, 12:52
So It Is,

I hear your points. Now that you've finished, how's your job search going? Can I ask if BAe have helped in that area? Any news on the others on your course would also be good.

Thanks]

sydneyc

Brian Clough
26th Jul 2001, 15:06
sydneyc

I am thinking of doing an ab initio at SFT but I've heard some scary stuff about OBA (touchy subject) - can you shed any light on this ?

Hang the Bandit
26th Jul 2001, 15:15
Hi guys! I've been out the training side of things for a while and I'm trying to get some info for a mate of mine who's looking to start a full ab initio course. Does anyone have the websites or email addresses for the major schools? (as many as possible!) Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance :D

sydneyc
26th Jul 2001, 19:00
Brian Clough,

In response to your post, by OBA do you mean Ormand Beach? If so, I understand SFT place their students at another school. That said, I cannot remember where that is! If you do mean Ormand then yes, I've read some fairly fruity reports of them. Would be interested to hear what else you think about SFT - I'm heading down there next Tuesday for a look-see.

sydneyc

Send Clowns
26th Jul 2001, 21:48
SFT are now sending people to Ambassador Airways in Naples, Florida. I would recommend anyone to consider them, I was very happy with the company. Can I ask why you have ruled them out Bluedragon?

Those wishing to contact them this is their website. (http://www.sft.co.uk) The girls in sales are very helpful. If you want information from an ex-student email me.

Note there is an open day this Saturday (28th July) including talks from people in the industry, lunch and a draw for a free lesson.

So it is
27th Jul 2001, 00:14
Sydneyc
Out of the self sponsored guys that have graduated before my course 70% of them have jobs with 50% of that group on jets.

As for my course it is still early days and I do know most of the guys have a few irons in the fire.

I do know the european guys are finding it harder to get a job as their coutries are not accepting their JAR licenses. Hope that helps, if you wish more info email me.

great expectations
27th Jul 2001, 17:53
Tunny, good to hear from you in here mate, I was hoping I would!! How is it?? Are u loving it? Im so sorry I didnt talk to you before you left but I was just thinking that Ill be out there with you so soon that we can just save it all and have a ball when I arrive! Any fit guys for me???!!
And out of interest, ANY BA CADETS GOING TO JEREZ IN AUGUST?? If so, let me know and Ill mail you so we can have a chat before the meet and greet!!

GE xxxx :p

VFE
27th Jul 2001, 21:07
Hey GE,

I'll be there in October self-sponsoring so I shall be around these forums for a couple of months. Look forward to meeting you all.

VFE.

great expectations
28th Jul 2001, 14:46
Likewise VFE!!
See you out there!! :D

fibod
29th Jul 2001, 18:47
Wor, how many multi hours do BAe do? OAT do 75:30 (45:00 Seneca aircraft, 10:30 Seneca Sim & 20:00 B737-400 Sim). :cool:

Wor
30th Jul 2001, 22:22
HI VFE, Le-Slat Disagree and FlyingGiraffe, window Seat

Great to hear that you r all starting in Oct 1, I have hadmy medical today and as long as that is passed will be out there ;)

If you wanna contact me you r welcome to email........ I'm sure we can all manage a beer to toast our arrival before we start, as tunneler so nicely pointed out

C U ALL there

Wor :p

window-seat
30th Jul 2001, 22:48
Hi Wor, VFE, Le-slat, & Flying Girafe, at this rate we'll have the whole October class sorted!!

Don't know whether to travel light on the plane, or fill my car with my comp. and other goodies and drive over?? What u recon guys?

Feel free to e-mail me

Look forward to greeting u all with a beer!
:D