PDA

View Full Version : ADSB Transponder + built in WAAS GPS

sillograph
6th May 2015, 14:25
For all you guys with small GA aircraft this would no doubt be a good option - however not certified as yet...

STRATUS TRANSPONDER GIVES PILOTS ADS-B OUT OPTION LIKE NO OTHER

Stratus ESG is the industry’s most affordable 1090ES with built-in WAAS GPS

DALLAS, Texas (April 8, 2015) — Stratus ESG, a 1090 Extended Squitter (ES) all-in-one ADS-B Out solution with certified WAAS GPS, was introduced today at the Aircraft Electronics Association (AEA) Convention. At the price of $3,490, which includes the transponder, GPS antenna and install kit, Stratus ESG is the industry’s most affordable panel-mounted 1090ES transponder with a built-in WAAS GPS. Stratus ESG will provide pilots with a simple solution to comply.

Appareo Systems LLC, introduced its first Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast Out product—and its first panel-mounted avionics—at the Aircraft Electronics Association convention in Dallas on April 8. The Stratus ESG is a 1090-MHz Extended Squitter (ES) all-in-one ADS-B Out solution that Appareo plans to submit later this year to the FAA for certification.

But if and when it comes through it would be a good fit for many GA aircraft, however probably will be certified to late for us down under

I would guess that a few more similar options will come online for the US market from avionics companies which are aiming at a 2020 compliance. (however only 1090 ES systems will be compatible in Australia not 948 ES)

What I am afraid of is we are spending big money to comply now and will miss out on other options which may end up being either easier or cheaper to comply just because we have set this Feb 2016 deadline. :{:{:{

The name is Porter
6th May 2015, 14:40
Is it TSO'd, certified?

The name is Porter
6th May 2015, 14:55
Not really your bad ;) it's worth looking at. I don't think it will be that long before there's certified equipment coming in under that price, pity we couldn't hang out for that!

LeadSled
6th May 2015, 16:05
Folks,
Just make certain the GPS is C146 or C146 ---- that is what counts here, not WAAS.
Tootle pip!!

Hasherucf
7th May 2015, 13:11
You could use a Freeflight 1201 blind GPS for feeding info to your transponder. Thinking they are about 3k

Freeflight Systems | NextGen Avionics - ADS-B Solutions - WAAS/GPS Sensors (http://www.freeflightsystems.com/products/waas-gps-sensors)

27/09
8th May 2015, 08:41
Folks,
Just make certain the GPS is C146 or C146 ---- that is what counts here, not WAAS.
Tootle pip!! I think you'll find any WAAS GPS is TSO C146.

LeadSled
8th May 2015, 14:23
27/09,
What I am saying is: Make certain the equipment meets Australian specifications.

You mention only C146, C145 is essentially the same, as far as the actual chip is concerned, but that is only part of the story It is not as simple and straightforward as just reading the pretty words on the box, it's what's in the box, including the software standard that counts for local certification.

Quite a few people have made very expensive mistakes. Everybody should do their own homework, particularly buying direct out of EEC or USA. If in any doubt, talk to a competent local based avionics shop, by model number, serial number and update status.

Tootle pip!!