PDA

View Full Version : Big piston engines

Dr Jekyll
6th May 2015, 10:42
Not exactly a history question. But what is the biggest and/or most powerful piston aero engine still available new?

ZeBedie
6th May 2015, 20:14
And what was the most powerful piston engine ever in service? Which one had the biggest capacity? Which was the most reliable of the post war big piston engines?

eckhard
6th May 2015, 21:57
Surely the 'Corncob' must figure in there somewhere?
Maybe not too reliable but impressively big and powerful.

N707ZS
6th May 2015, 22:15
Think a 720 is one of the largest.

reynoldsno1
6th May 2015, 23:31
Up to 3500 shp ... Wright GR3350

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Wright_Cyclone_GR_3350_1.jpg/640px-Wright_Cyclone_GR_3350_1.jpg

Ian Burgess-Barber
7th May 2015, 07:30
The Douglas C-124C Globemaster II had four 3,800 h.p. Pratt and Whitney R-4360-63A radials.
Any advance on that?

Ian B-B

diddy1234
7th May 2015, 07:47
is that the one with the Parts Recovery Turbine ?

Ian Burgess-Barber
7th May 2015, 08:55
"Parts" (mechanics joke) recovery turbines were used on the P&W R-4360-51 VDT (variable discharge turbine) intended for the B-36C but used on the YB-50C Superfortress 4,300 h.p. according to Wiki. The Wright engines also had them.

IanB-B

DaveReidUK
7th May 2015, 09:35
Any advance on that?Tu-85, powered by 4 x 4300 shp Dobrynin VD-4K:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Tu-85front.jpg

treadigraph
7th May 2015, 10:55
Only two built but the Lycoming XR-7755 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoming_XR-7755) at 5000hp seems to be the largest piston engine to run?

Cubs2jets
7th May 2015, 13:30
LOL !!

Everybody that has posted needs to go back and read the original posters' question.

C2j

joy ride
7th May 2015, 14:06
^ I noticed that too, "STILL AVAILABLE NEW" being the valid part!

N707ZS
7th May 2015, 14:08
Thought you could still buy a Lycoming IO-720 new, no chance with those radials.

evansb
7th May 2015, 15:09
The Shvetsov ASh-62 is in production under licence by WSK-PZL in Poland.

To quote Wikipedi:

The ASh-62 was a development of the Wright R-1820 Cyclone that had been built in Russia under licence as the Shvetsov M-25, the main improvements including a two-speed supercharger and a more efficient induction system. Power was increased from the Cyclone's 775 hp to 1,000 hp. First run in 1937, licenced versions are still in production by WSK "PZL-Kalisz" in Poland as the ASz-62 (as of 2007). The Ash-62 was also produced in China. It is estimated that 40,361 were produced in the USSR.

Polish-built ASz-62IR engines are compatible with FAR-33 requirements. Further developments in Poland are the K9-AA, K9-BA and K9-BB engines, with take-off power of 1178 hp (860 kW), indicated power 698 kW.

DaveReidUK
7th May 2015, 17:12
Everybody that has posted needs to go back and read the original posters' question.

No, those who were answering the questions posed by poster #2 don't. :ugh:

Cubs2jets
7th May 2015, 18:55
Poster number 2 should have started his own thread, where he would have gotten the above answers. instead of subverting poster number 1's thread...:ugh:

C2j

Dr Jekyll
7th May 2015, 21:19
Speaking as poster 1, part of the reason I asked the question on here rather than anywhere else was because I knew I'd get a lot of additional and interesting if not strictly pertinent facts. Such as the story of the XR-7755.

pithblot
8th May 2015, 00:34
The Lycoming IO720 variants are what spring to mind in the GA Avgas world and I have fond memories of the New Zealand Fletcher & a few lovely Commanche 400s that were popular in Australia in the 60s, 70s and 80s. (Sadly, I was never able to fly either of these types, but those who did loved them). I wonder what is available in emerging automotive conversions (Chevs) and Diesal engines?

Dr J, Exactly. This is a really interesting, and enjoyable, thread and the opening question at least has a chance of being answered.

C2j, I guess you might be right about post # 2. Maybe. If that's what the SOPs require. But this is Pprune not a peer reviewed journal and what you have just experienced is known as "Thread Drift", which brings nuance, occasional annoyance and sometimes a smile to these forums.

The Original Post of this Antipodean thread from Long ago has since changed YHMB to the correct YMHB. It's a fine example of Thread Drift (http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/324162-another-runway-light-issue.html). :ok:

Stanwell
8th May 2015, 00:45
A while back, I saw an article (with pix), which, of course, I can't find now,
about a chap in the States who'd created a double P&W R4360.
He'd coupled two Wasp Majors together in tandem.
It runs, apparently (but for how long, I wonder?).

Some people need something to keep them off the streets, though. ;)

treadigraph
8th May 2015, 07:30
I've seen the R4360 powered Sea Fury "Dreadnaught" and F2G Corsair flying in the US - Dreadnaught was racing at Reno - and they both sound magnificent.

Not the fastest but probably the most powerful single engined aircraft flying these days?

Nowt wrong with thread drift if it's along the right lines! :ok:

joy ride
8th May 2015, 08:21
Personally I like a bit of thread drift when it broadens my knowledge and I too enjoyed the additional information provided here. Ideally I do prefer things when the first post is answered before the drift starts, and I too was interested in what engines are available nowadays, cheers!

N707ZS
8th May 2015, 18:37
Two more engines that come to mind are the radials fitted to Airtractor 401s Pratt & Whitney R-1340 radial and PZL Dromader's ASz-621R , take a look on a google, most impressive beasts to watch spraying.

Stanwell
8th May 2015, 18:46
Well, OK then.
The only firm that I'm aware of that is/was still producing big pistons is the one evansb mentioned in an earlier post... WSK 'PZL-Kalisz'.

Their engines are licence-manufactured Shvetsov and Ivchenko designs.
I don't know what their current offerings are, though.

ZeBedie
13th May 2015, 12:48
Amazing that the most powerful engine was made by Lycoming and not Wright or Pratt.

Imagine where big pistons would be by now if jets hadn't come along. Based on car development, I guess fuel consumption would be 30% of what it was and I dare say there would have been big improvements in weight and cooling drag, not to mention reliability. Maybe they would all have been two-stroke diesels? And as we complain about modern jets sounding like bland vacuum cleaners, I bet my 'alternative future' big pistons would sound like characterless sewing machines :)

Flybiker7000
13th May 2015, 20:16
The change in todays automobile engines are four valves; DOHC; electronic injection and turbocharging - All details that were in use in WW2 aircraft engines!
As propellars directly demands torque rather than horsepower (wich in difference (just) is a figure for ability to accelerate (the cranckshaft)), the remarkably higher torque at low RPM's as delivered by modern Common Rail turbo-diesels for cars, might have caused development in direction of turbo-diesel aviation engines instead. Actual, I wonder when diesel will take the leap to the sector of private airplanes!
Both Germany and the Soviet Union used diesel engines for the purpose of longer range during WW2: Germany, primarely for the use in (patrolling) flying boats and Soviet with the aim of bombers reaching to Berlin.
Two-stroke diesel might be the choise due to higher liability, but I have the impression that the turbocharged fourstroke diesel might produce higher torque with a remarkable better consumption.
Earlier diesel engines worked without any other input than the fuel and should actual be forcely actuated to shut-down and IMO should this incorporated liability have been a heavy argument for the use of dieselengines in aircrafts long time ago :-/
In difference does modern diesel engines work by electric HP dieselpumps; likely eletric actuated inlet-jets and is fully eletronic supervised, but doesn't show signs of lesser liability for that reason.
As argued for the use in tanks, the lesser flammability of diesel would be more comfortable to have aboard the plane than petrol :-/