PDA

View Full Version : can a short haul flight attendant take anti anxiety meds

dripdripdrip
6th May 2015, 01:25
Hi Everyone,
Is it ok for a short haul f/a to be on effexor for mild anxiety?
Does it need to be disclosed at medical time?
Does anyone know how long it stays in urine if it was to be stopped before a medical.
Dont want to be sneaky but its personal and I dont really want it to be known to one and all. Thanks.

mikedreamer787
9th May 2015, 04:39
Try finding the cause of your anxiety and deal with it before taking any drugs. Prevention is better than the cure (or in this case band-aid).

Fantome
9th May 2015, 08:09
can a short haul flight attendant take anti anxiety meds

you can ' take ' anything you like
whether it safe or wise to do so is another question

you might be well advised to find a doctor or a chemist
whose confidentiality you can trust

have a read of MIMS before you do anything

fergineer
9th May 2015, 19:45
Would I want to fly on an aircraft with you in a position that needs to be switched on in an emergency no way, get a new job.

Dedward
11th May 2015, 08:02
you need to speak to your Dr.
If you are on prescribed medication, it would be unwise, surely, to stop taking them before a Medical.
You also need to be more adult about this and treat your illness responsibly.
Talk to your manager, this should be treated confidentially.

Some of the comments already posted in response to this show why dripdripdrip resorts to an anonymous forum... Ignorance and ill-informed comments which only serve to increase the stigma surrounding mental illnesses.

Piltdown Man
11th May 2015, 13:32
Find and fix the problem. Medication had its uses but I'm sure you will be happier without them. I'm not trying to be funny, but you are even anxious about taking the pills. Your GP and/or union should be your first points of contact for help. See what they can do for you.

Best of luck,

PM

Sir Niall Dementia
27th May 2015, 20:53
A quick scan through my company OM says categorically NO. If they are prescribed then the company will arrange whatever help you need via medical insurance, if you are self prescribing then you should report sick.

I would be very worried to find out that a key member of safety personnel was using such medication and responsible for the cabin behind me.

SND

NewZealand2
8th Apr 2017, 07:43
You would be surprised at just how many cabin crew around the world are on some type of medication for depression and/or anxiety.
I'm surprised at the very naive comments in this thread. Someone with anxiety/depression can deal with emergency situations. I'd be more worried about the crew with poor EP knowledge than someone that suffers from anxiety.

Anyway, to answer the thread starters question's.

Each airline has it's own policy on medication. Some allow SSRIs etc but must be disclosed in case of drug testing. You will be drug tested at the medical stage, and may raise questions by the doctor if you haven't declared anxiety as a pre-existing condition.
You asked about how long the drug may be present in your urine after you stop taking it. I'm assuming you are already aware that you shouldn't suddenly stop medication like effexor as the side effects will be significant. But, all traces should be gone within 3 days.

Good luck!

chrissw
8th Apr 2017, 16:18
I have no medical qualifications whatsoever, therefore you can treat the following with as much disdain as you like. Or you can take it seriously.

If you are taking benzodiazepine drugs (diazepam alias "Valium," nitrazepam, temazepam etc.) then be warned that, in order to maintain a similar level of effectiveness, you need to increase the dose over time.

It is also well known that it is very easy to become dependent on these drugs and stopping them can be very, very hard.

So IF you are taking one of them (and you don't say that you are, so the above may be useless and irrelevant) you really do need to speak to a qualified medical professional about it.

airworld
17th Apr 2017, 15:44
Would I want to fly on an aircraft with you in a position that needs to be switched on in an emergency no way, get a new job.

Who are you to judge!
You don't know what's gone on in this crew members life!

Also if you are Crew, perhaps you should get another job with an attitude like that!

Drip Drip good on you for asking the Question!
I personally wish you a speedy recovery xxx

A and C
22nd Apr 2017, 06:28
Since the German wings aircraft was flown into the side of a mountain by a guy with mental Heath issues the industry has over reacted to those who have minor issues, I went to my Doctor following fatigue issues and got asked if I has considered self harming ! ............... all I wanted was the chance of a month or two of undisturbed sleep to recover from years of poor rostering.

A cabin crew member friend who lost her job and had family problems was for a very short time on anti depressants, having months back stopped taking the pills has had trouble getting back into flying because of this short time on the pills.

These are two examples of how the industry view on mental health issues has hardened recently and in my opinion swung to far in the direction zero tolerance to those on medication to the point were it is likely that people will hide issues they have. This was exactly what the German wings pilot did and I see this as exactly what will happen again if we let the lawyers rather than the doctors dictate the aircrew health agenda.

Planemike
23rd Apr 2017, 11:32
This was exactly what the German wings pilot did and I see this as exactly what will happen again if we let the lawyers rather than the doctors dictate the aircrew health agenda..

Yep, "hard cases make bad law".

B2N2
23rd Apr 2017, 13:55
I don't see mild anxiety as a mental illness.
But again the source of your anxiety is more important then a chemical coverup.

memories of px
24th Apr 2017, 10:07
https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Psychiatry/Centrally-acting-medication/

have a look at this UK CAA webpage , youll see that certain medications are permitted, if yours is not permitted, there may be something similar that is approved. best to contact an AME, aviation medical examiner.
pay no attention to fergengineer, i wish pprune had a thumbs up thumbs down option.

regional_flyer
17th May 2017, 14:37
Who are you to judge!
You don't know what's gone on in this crew members life!

Also if you are Crew, perhaps you should get another job with an attitude like that!

This, this, this.

I suffer anxiety and have been crew for the better part of a decade. I've always been transparent with my employers and I would never think about continuing in the profession if I knew it would have a profound effect on myself or those around me. IMO, it isn't the problem but the way that someone deals with it. In my case, I feel that my work is the ideal escape, where I can surround myself with awesome people that boost my self confidence. I personally would avoid meds, but wouldn't judge those that may feel they are at the point that they need to - provided they are deemed fit to fly. Having something "going on up there" does not automatically mean someone is a danger...

romy
31st May 2017, 09:34
'I just don't believe it' as Victor Meldreth would say! What amazing ignorance displayed in replies to this post. How come the title 'Mental Illness ' is used to describe a whole spectrum of ailments. It's like putting STDS, Typhoid, The Plague, Measles, Flue and the Common Cold into the same category.

romy
31st May 2017, 09:35
Victor Meldrew

ceeb
3rd Jun 2017, 08:25
'I just don't believe it' as Victor Meldreth would say! What amazing ignorance displayed in replies to this post. How come the title 'Mental Illness ' is used to describe a whole spectrum of ailments. It's like putting STDS, Typhoid, The Plague, Measles, Flue and the Common Cold into the same category.

Why not? Mental illnesses are illnesses of the mind. What you have described are physical illnesses or illnesses of the body.

WindSheer
4th Jun 2017, 15:51
You are highly likely to find there are pilots out there taking such medication. Sanctioned of course.