PDA

View Full Version : multiple needle HSI

Obs cop
5th May 2015, 19:16
Hi folks,

Just a quick question to ask if anyone has encountered a mechanical HSI with 1 or 2 needles as well as the CDI bar.

In essence, is there an HSI which displays ADF of Nav1/2 directional needles on the same card?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Wodrick
5th May 2015, 20:05
It is a long time ago, and I may be wrong but I think Dan's 727-200 G-BHVT (Ex Singapore Airlines) had such a HSI. Very rare.

skyhighfallguy
6th May 2015, 00:20
I've seen bearing repeaters on a regular HSI which show (selectable) ADF magnetic bearings or VOR magnetic bearings.

It was a great idea for its time. I also loved the rising runway on the Attitude indicator. And JOSE (as it was called) the localizer repeater on the Attitude gyro which was more sensitive than the HSI.

Lots of good ideas. Even one that had a little cloud blowing, showing you the direction of the wind, based upon your heading to maintain course.

Ah the old days.

Background Noise
6th May 2015, 18:06
The RAF Tucano has an HSI which has 2 needles, one for TACAN and one for VOR, and a CDI bar. The needles can both work at the same time and the CDI bar is selectable for either one or the other.

mnttech
10th May 2015, 22:37
Both Astronautics and Moog show a dual pointer HSI on their websites. IRC, the Bell 222 had one and we came up with a selector to swap the #1 needle from VOR/ADF/GPS

Obs cop
23rd May 2015, 09:25
Hi,

Folks,

Huge thanks for your help. So I gather they are fairly uncommon but do exist.

Thanks again :)

Rich