PDA

View Full Version : Alderney Flyin Novice

Design4p
5th May 2015, 07:23
Hi,

Thinking of attempting the Alderney Fly In 26-28 June. My only overseas flight has been to Le Touquet and returned next day and I feel confident about the procedures and document for such a flight.

I understand there are additional procedures for the Channel islands.

I have been looking at the Alderney - Aerodrome Trip Kit it would appear that there are two routes over the water - Berry Head and Southampton due to Danger Areas.

I would appreciate it if a fellow pilot who is familiar with Alderney could confirm the flight procedure.

Regards John G-CGIP

Charlie Fox
6th May 2015, 03:24
Nothing complicated about flying to Alderney. More info can be found at Channel Island Control Zone - SVFR Flight Planning Guide (http://www.cicz.co.uk)

Johnm
6th May 2015, 05:56
If you are coming from North Wales are you planning to stop en route? Either way you'll need to file a GAR 12 hours before departure and 12 hours before return and a flight plan from your final departure point from the UK.

You can contact Plymouth Ops by phone (phone number is on the legend of the CAA 1:500000 Southern Chart) to see if the Portland danger areas are active and if they are you can often get a Danger Area Crossing Service from Plymouth military (frequency on the chart legend too) if you fly at 5000 ft or above.

If you can't do that then contact Bournemouth Radar and route overhead BIA and then track parallel to Q41 which is almost direct to Alderney. You need to contact Jersey control about 10 to 15 miles from the zone boundary and they'll clear you in before handing you to Guernsey approach and then Alderney Tower.

It's never been difficult but now the zone is class D and not Class A it's even easier. We have a house there and will be there for the fly in so if you decide to go send me a PM and I'll give you contact details.

piperboy84
6th May 2015, 06:39
The plane doesn't know its over water so you're all good there, however one thing I noticed from a few channel crossings between the Isle of Wight and Cherbourg is a VFR forecast doesn't necessarily mean you will have a good visual horizon mid channel, that sea fog/har seems to knacker up the forward visibility but you can still look down and see the water. Be prepared to get eyes down on the instruments if its one of those days.

Jan Olieslagers
6th May 2015, 19:09
[[ a bit off-topic ]]

The plane doesn't know its over water so you're all good there

This makes me revolt every time I come across it - so don't take this personally, Piperboy. But it really ought to read

The plane doesn't know its over water so your risk is the same as anywhere but should things go wrong your options are much more limited

piperboy84
6th May 2015, 19:14
I wonder sometimes which would be worse, engine quit with the air whistling round you at best glide looking down at the Channel or the Cairngorms?

Jan Olieslagers
6th May 2015, 19:46
What do you estimate your chances of survival? Unless wearing a wetsuit, AND having trained for the situation, chances in the North Sea and the English channel are close to zero, I learned on these and similar web pages.

No idea about the Gaelic monsters, though.

Maoraigh1
6th May 2015, 21:41
I'm more optimistic - about both scenarios. Warmly c!othed, there are people who've survived in the North Sea. And if VFR you've got a decent chance of landing in the Cairngorms.

funfly
7th May 2015, 15:19
Years ago when I flew down to Jersey, I was amused on approaching the danger area to be advised that "We have sent the aircraft to the other end if you would please go through now".

FF

P.S. Wetsuit is a MUST. in my opinion

Piper.Classique
7th May 2015, 18:52
I landed a glider at Braemar once. I paced the field out while waiting for the retrieve. 180 metres on the diagonal, approach over a stream and a low fence. This was the BEST field I could find after a somewhat traumatic flight involving an electrical failure in cloud. I was later told by the locals it was the only useable field for 30km. I don't think I could have done it in a light aircraft, with or without the engine running. I suspect a ditching could be less life threatening than engine failure in the Cairngorms....
YMMV

Design4p
8th May 2015, 12:53
Thank you for your kind suggestion. I will make myself familiar with the danger areas and contacts for movement through.

Hope the weather improves from the current wind and rain.

Regards John G-CGIP

Johnm
8th May 2015, 16:12
Be prepared for Fog, 2 years ago I departed IFR in 800 metres RVR!