PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday BONE

KenV
4th May 2015, 19:01
Hard to believe, but the B-1 bomber reached her 30th birthday this week. And with multiple upgrade programs now underway(collectively known as the "Integrated Battlestation"), she should remain a capable combat system for decades to come.

TURIN
4th May 2015, 19:06
Has 'she' got past M1.2 yet? :E

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th May 2015, 19:09
First saw one do a very sporty arrival at the Alconbury airshow in '89. Having a look around it, one of the crew announced himself as the Offensive Navigator, to which my backseater promptly replied "I'm a very offensive navigator!" ;)

Happy Birthday Bone :ok:

sandiego89
4th May 2015, 19:10
Or 41 years if you count the B-1A first flight!

But the question remains- will she outlast the B-52?

ExAscoteer
4th May 2015, 19:30
Surely all Navigators are offensive?

:}

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th May 2015, 19:34
Ah but some get defensive when you point it out. ;)
The Bone has a Defensive Navigator on the crew too, presumably his sole role is to protect the reputation of the other one in the bar afterwards.

ExAscoteer
4th May 2015, 20:07
ROTFLMFAO!

BEagle
4th May 2015, 20:11
We were at Griffiss AFB some years ago for a static display with the FunBus. The brand-new B-1B was scheduled to appear, so we awaited its arrival with bated breath.

It came roaring in at the speed of heat, then pulled smartly up before turning downwind to land....

After it had shut down, from within emerged some unsmiling, chisel-featured aviator sporting the ubiquitous RayBans, straight from a recruiting poster; together with the rest of his crew he went off to Base Ops whilst the jet was cordoned off and Air Police with M-16s and chrome-plated coal scuttle helmets kept the inquisitive GenPub safely away from Uncle Spam's latest bomber.

After a while, I went over to the crew chief and we started chatting. "That was an impressive arrival", I said to the grizzled old chap who had obviously 'done some'. "Impressive my ass!", he replied, "That dumb sonofabitch just overstressed my jet with his damn hot-doggin' and now we're stuck here until we can get it checked!".

But we did get a look around it once the show had closed; the cockpit was utterly superb but the Offensive and Defensive System Operators' work stations looked rather clunky.

Fantastically capable aircraft - if only it could have replaced the Vulcan!

Willard Whyte
4th May 2015, 22:12
Surely all Navigators are offensive?

Only if we don't get our surf 'n' turf & bottle of red.

Pontius
5th May 2015, 03:37
First saw one do a very sporty arrival at the Alconbury airshow in '89.

Were you there to see the departure, F3? I think there may have been a few changes of underwear in that aircraft after they porked up having to turn AND descend at the same time AND then avoid hitting the ground and tower.

Airshow departures; always worth filming for the subsequent BOI :E

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th May 2015, 09:15
Missed that. We left on the Tuesday for some reason.
I saw one of the last Victors when it did a base tour flight doing a very good attempt at a wingover above the OM at Marham. I turned to the Victor QFI next to me to exclaim "I didn't think Victors could do..." and saw he had his head in his hands, which kind-of answered my question.

Pontius
5th May 2015, 09:38
Sorry, just realised I deliberately lied :( The 'interesting' departure of the Bone that I witnessed was at Alconbury airshow in 1988 (15 Aug), not 1989. I still remember the stupidity of having to get an IFR clearance to depart from an RAF base on a gin-clear day. The Reds were taking it in turns for one to sit in the aircraft waiting for Delivery to get their act together, while I didn't have that option and sat there frying away :(

Wheels up, 'cancel IFR', switching to en-route, 'Cheerio'.

(How come I can remember details like that from years ago but can't recall stuff that I've re-learnt ad infinitum for simulator checks etc? :confused: )

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th May 2015, 10:11
But you can remember, at least your hands can.
I had a trip in a Bulldog a few years after leaving the UAS, and my left hand wandered round the cockpit automatically arranging the switches and levers in the correct "pleasing and eye-catching manner". Very strange experience - my hand was effectively solo - my eyes just watched it moving.

teeteringhead
5th May 2015, 11:17
But you can remember, at least your hands can.
Exactly so!

Just like reacquainting oneself with the comfortable feel of a much loved pair of shoes .......

............. or mistress! :E

Davef68
5th May 2015, 11:54
Hard to believe, but the B-1 bomber reached her 30th birthday this week.

Trying to work that one out:

First Flight (B1A): December 1974
First Flight (B1B): March 83 (Prototype) 18 October 84 (Production)

Delivery of B1B to USAF: June 85

IOC: June 86

??