PDA

View Full Version : CPL(A) to ATPL(A) later

pilotjohn
4th May 2015, 09:15
Hello,

I've searched pprune a little bit and didn't find the answer for me..

This year I'm going to do theory for CPL(A) and IR separately. I know it would be better to do ATPL(A) theory, but I have a long story behind why not to. My question is what are the options later to change to ATPL. At that that I will have CPL + ME/IR. Are there any bridge courses for experience pilots to change CPL to ATPL? Are there any credits from CPL and IR theory for ATPL theory or you have to do all ATPL theory course at FTO and then all the exams on CAA?

Thank you for the answer. If any of you have experience for that kind of problem from EASA countries, please share with me.

Greetings

zondaracer
4th May 2015, 11:52
No bridge courses, no credits. You have to go to an ATO and do all 14 exams after completing an approved course.

Transsonic2000
4th May 2015, 12:39
Zondaracer is absolutely right! Have to take all 14 ATP exams, there is no such thing like a "bride-course" or "credit" for previously passed CPL/IR exams. That's basically the reason why everybody who intends to get into commercial aviation is going straight for the ATP theory. Anyway good luck!

RedBullGaveMeWings
4th May 2015, 14:25
Just do your ATPL's now. I see no reason why one would do CPL and IR theory first and then again 14 exams.

RTN11
5th May 2015, 09:09
If you're doing a CPL and an IR, there really is no reason not to just do the ATPL exams from the onset.

Zio Nick
18th May 2015, 14:11
Gents, can somebody quickly explain what are the differences between CPL and ATPL theory? I understand that some subjects are not covered, but which ones?

paco
18th May 2015, 17:58
About 40% different - CPL doesn't get Inertial nav, PET, PSR, Climatology, Some performance, Mass & Balance, stuff like that.

Some of the missing stuff is in the IR, hence the comment above that if you are doing the CPL and the IR, just do the ATP because it includes the IR anyway.

RTN11
22nd May 2015, 11:31
CPL exams will only be enough for you to fly commercially, but VFR.

The IR exams then add the ability to fly IFR (you usually also add multi engine, but not always)

The ATPL exams then add the ability to operate commercially in a multi crew aircraft.

If you seriously know you will never ever operate multi crew, fair enough, but since the ATPL exams compared to both CPL and IR really isn't much extra, I don't see any reason not to just do the ATPL exams in the first place. If you get the IR and CPL and then at a later date decide you do need the multi crew ability, you'll have to go back and redo all the ATPL exams, recovering everything you've already done just to add a tiny fraction more.