PDA

View Full Version : Flying in China

mcheung
4th May 2015, 06:00
Hi Everyone, I am new here :8

I am currently in the process of training in getting my PPL and CPL in VANCOUVER CANADA

My goal is to fly commercially in China someday. I want to get a general idea of what the road would be like to fly in China. My plan is to become an instructor for a few years after finishing my training in order to build hours.

Would it be realistic to expect to become a first officer in China after accumulating 1500 tt from instructing in CANADA?

Will the fact that I am fluent in Mandarin Chinese and English play out to be a big advantage?

All input is appreciated!

coldastone17
4th May 2015, 12:20
The market is so "tight" now that it's a employer's advantage. Jet hours are a advantage and seems to be the key element now. Jus my 2 cents worth

de facto
4th May 2015, 18:58
In jet,forget it.
However you may get a foot in the door by instructing their cadets..then possibly they may get you in the right seat but......upgrade forget it.
So get fo time then back to Canada...fill those lungs with clean air again..cant be bad.

mcheung
4th May 2015, 20:11
sorry everyone for the confusion, I am learning how to fly in Canada, not China. I want to gain experience in Canada instructing and possible go back to China to become FO

Dan Winterland
5th May 2015, 06:51
Well, I guess from your name and location you are an ethnic Chinese. If you have the right to live in the PRC, apply directly to the company training schemes. If you have the right to work and live in Hong Kong, then look at the Cathay and Dragon cadetships. They are the best sponsorship deal going. If you want to instruct, then do the 15oo hours then apply.

If you don't have the right of abode, then with 1500hrs piston time, they won't look at you on ex-pat terms. You are going to have to be experienced and type rated.

de facto
5th May 2015, 07:42
The grass is always "greener" on the other side.isnt it:}

pilotcpb
5th May 2015, 09:29
If you speak Mandarin, why not look up some info or message boards online in Mandarin? Plenty of Chinese seem to be doing their training outside of China and then going to work at home, some of whom were born and raised outside China.

We had an American born Chinese guy in my company who did is and got hired at Singapore, was recently working here in the middle east on some kind of LOA. I think he is back at SQ now.

No offense but most foreigners look at working in China more as a necessary evil than a career goal. I do not speak with the experience of working in China but i know several trustworthy guys who did and chose not to stay there, despite the huge paycheck. One guy liked it but couldn't stay because they yanked his medical over a small medical issue, so go figure.

Good luck!

mcheung
6th May 2015, 06:49
thanks for the replies everyone. Problem is most Chinese pilots learn how to fly overseas (funded by local airlines) then are locked in a massive training bond (decades I believe) with those airlines.

I think the plan for me right now is to get ppl cpl, and start to instruct to gain hours and see how it goes from there.

Anyone have experience with HONG KONG AIRLINES?

THANKS

Flying Mechanic
6th May 2015, 13:47
HK Airlines you need jet time, if you have Airbus time, you stand a good chance.they are desperate.

coldastone17
6th May 2015, 16:10
Any inputs from Dragonair? They employing too?

inbluskyz
8th May 2015, 00:50
The CAAC no longer accepts nationals that have trained overseas. You must attend a flight academy in China.

de facto
9th May 2015, 09:03
go ask Hainan yourself....they have a roadshow in Montreal in May..

B777FO
10th May 2015, 11:38
I am just working as Flight Instructor in Brazil, holding on a CPL - SE - ME - IR - CFI , ICAO LEVEL 4, and 1100 TT... but unfurtunately i will have to hold on an A320 Type Rating to work in China. Well, that's my plan.