PDA

View Full Version : Windows update

Wodrick
1st May 2015, 17:46
This has been going on for a while, I get a notification that there are updates, fair enough.
I click to get the update.
The response is :

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m599/wodrick/Upd1.jpg (http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/wodrick/media/Upd1.jpg.html)

So i click to download the update to update :

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m599/wodrick/Upd.jpg (http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/wodrick/media/Upd.jpg.html)

Round and round goes the wheel, any suggestions ?

W7 Home premium.

Saab Dastard
1st May 2015, 20:31
Initially you should google the specific error number you have and see if any of the solutions clear the problem.

Here's a useful link for general Windows Update problem resolution: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058.

Windows update can be a weird thing - I had one Windows server 2008 system that would not update because there was no valid time source specified.

SD

Winnerhofer
2nd May 2015, 07:39
1. Remove all security software.
2. Get rid of all crap that you don't use.
3. Power down.
4. Remove battery.
5. Keep power button depressed for at least 30 seconds to get rid of residual juice and remove any electrical supply.
6. Power up.
7. Hit Windows Update
8. If I don't work, don't worry because W7 have mega monthly updates so the next one should be around June.

Fly-by-Wife
2nd May 2015, 09:26
1. Remove all security software.
2. Get rid of all crap that you don't use.
3. Power down.
4. Remove battery.
5. Keep power button depressed for at least 30 seconds to get rid of residual juice and remove any electrical supply.
6. Power up.
7. Hit Windows Update
8. If I don't work, don't worry because W7 have mega monthly updates so the next one should be around June.

And all this while wearing your tinfoil hat and reciting mystical incantations! :p

Honestly, I've not seen such mumbo-jumbo for ages, so I assume it's a wind-up.

FBW

dazdaz1
2nd May 2015, 13:57
Had the same problem last year, also could not update my AV software. Turned out to be a nasty I picked up on my internet travels. Did a complete re install, sorted. I'm not saying this might apply to you, but a possible 'heads up'

Daz

vulcanised
2nd May 2015, 14:15
In a lot of years with Windows I have never allowed an update, and that includes Service Packs.

Aside from the aggravation that many seem to suffer I don't appear to have missed anything.

Wodrick
2nd May 2015, 15:00
Well SD I have googled the error before as I am familiar with the technique, but it has never returned a positive result I have always ended with various software telling me the error was unknown, however this time I have been directed to a Forum with detailed info on how to get rid of this particular error code and get update working. Senior Management currently has other uses for my body but when I have the time to try I will,and will report.
Thanks for now.

oldbeefer
3rd May 2015, 10:32
Unless you are not connected to the internet, that sounds pretty stupid to me! Many updates are designed to overcome security weaknesses - by not installing them, you're leaving yourself wide open.

vulcanised
3rd May 2015, 11:28
by not installing them, you're leaving yourself wide open

For well over 20 years, and nothing nasty.

le Pingouin
3rd May 2015, 12:35
For well over 20 years, and nothing nasty.That you're aware of.....

dazdaz1
3rd May 2015, 14:18
vulcanised..."For well over 20 years, and nothing nasty" ? That would be from 1995:ooh: I'm confused. Having said that, I do side with you, with aspects of updating.

Myself, I've always been slightly 'sus' of AV companies who rattle the sabre suggesting 'you need us' Scaring us chickens that the fox is around the coup.

Wodrick
5th May 2015, 08:02
The path that SD pointed me to, not specifically Google, for I had tried that, worked Last night it fininshed installing 54 updates ! still seems to work too.

Gracias.

Dont Hang Up
13th May 2015, 21:16
Now here we are on Wednesday evening. A spare hour to do some tinkering on the computer. But hey no - twenty four important updates to install!! Great, back to my true vocation in life - doing Microsoft's own maintenance for them. Last week there were only three updates. This week Microsoft have really excelled themselves.

Just a couple of questions...

I have now added over 100 updates to Windows 8. How many more disrupted evenings and delayed morning start-ups (preparing to reconfigure Windows - 30% complete for the last 15 minutes, but we don't feel any need to tell you how many more minutes before we move on from that number!!!) before Windows 8 is actually properly fixed and working?

Have Microsoft at any point considered creating an operating system that is fit for purpose actually BEFORE they release it?

TWT
13th May 2015, 23:00
All operating systems need updating throughout their lifetime.A lot of the updates are to do with security,the bad guys are always working to compromise systems and so patches need to be developed.Some updates are to patch bugs that have come to light.

As for the updates interrupting your use of the machine,you can install the updates at a time of your choosing if you switch off automatic updating.As Windows updates are usually available on a monthly basis,I just check each month and then download/update while I'm doing something else,such as having dinner.

Capn Bloggs
14th May 2015, 00:14
I don't mind updates but the second bunch in as many months to fail with one update throwing up the red flag. At least I didn't need to do a full wind-back like last time...

TWT
14th May 2015, 01:34
Yesterday,I had 1 out of 21 updates fail (KB3046002) on my W7 machine.I just ran it again and it was installed fine without needing a reboot.

Booglebox
14th May 2015, 19:31
Let your machine do it automatically at night.