PDA

View Full Version : CPL ...USA or UK

steven b
10th Jun 2002, 14:51
I AM JUST ABOUT TO TAKE MY LAST RESIT FOR THE CPL EXAMINATIONS AND I AM NOW LOOKING FOR TRAINING PROVIDERS FOR THE CPL FLIGHT TRAINING. WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS IF I DO THE FLIGHT TRAINING IN THE STATES WILL I HAVE TO DO A CONVERSION WHEN I RETURN HOME AND APPLY FOR THE CPL LICENSE. I AM LOOKING FOR THE BEST VALUE FOR MONEY OPTION AND THE BEST TRAINING ......I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO HEAR YOUR VIEWS

THANKS

carbonfibre
25th Jun 2002, 19:51
Stephen b

Theres not a lot of diference in the 2, i completed mine in the US but very much regret it now, i have flown more regularly in the UK doing my IR and found, unfortunatley that the company i did my CPL with has obvious flaws in its curriculum, layout and how its applied. Money was the main motivator to get you through as quick as possible. For the most a CPL is still only taking 4 - 5 weeks even in the bad weather in the UK ( we do have good days too) the bad weather strikes also in FL if thats where your thinking of going.

All in all a matter of choice, a good word of advice is to work it out, where you are comfortable, where you are less likely to get ripped off, and the cost of transport, the flight over cos they have gone up too and food and of course accomadation. You pay the same test fees also.

So if you sit and work it out it is probably cheaper do do it in the UK average price seems to be about the £4000 ish mark and in the US £1000 for food and accomadation if you are a light eater then around £500 + if you are unlucky for an airfare and a lot more for a car or airport pick up is £80 each way work it out, do the maths and you will see hope it helps. :rolleyes:

weasil
26th Jun 2002, 12:03
Ever consider doing your training in Australia? You'd have a lot of fun.

FlyingForFun
26th Jun 2002, 12:45
Weasil,

Where in Australia can you do the training for a UK JAR CPL? As far as I'm aware, there is nowhere at the moment.

Steven, as long as your school is certified by the CAA to provide the training, you shouldn't need to convert you license when you get back. There's a complete list of certified schools somewhere in the maze that's also knows as the CAA website.

FFF
-------------

monkeyboy
27th Jun 2002, 07:39
steven b,

I recently asked this very same question to a Chief Training Captain and the response was that the single engined stuff didn't really matter but the multi engined did.

His advice was to do the CPL in the States - providing the school was JAA approved - because you'd get consistency with the weather and then come home to do the IR.

Hope this helps

MB

:)

euroflyer
27th Jun 2002, 14:51
I recommend that if you need a multi-rating you do it in the US. I did my JAR CPL on a twin engine aicraft and obtained the multi-rating as well. At the same time you get multi time and it is a lot cheaper than the UK.
If you already have a Multi-rating then the price of the CPL on a single is the same.
Good luck.