PDA

View Full Version : CSAR MH60'S AT JOINT WARRIOR

KPax
29th Apr 2015, 15:46
Are the Lakenheath MH60's up at Lossie there to cover the Joint Warrior exercise now that the RAF has no SAR.

MG
29th Apr 2015, 16:58
Yes. But the UK still has a very capable SAR force. Silly statement to make.

chopper2004
29th Apr 2015, 17:38
Its actually HH-60G Pave Hawks as the USAF fly, then again initially 25 to 30 years back the first Pave Hawks with AFSOC were designated MH-60G.

Anyone flying MH-60 in spec ops are the Army's Nightstalkers

(The Navy flies MH-60S Knighthawk and MH-60R for VERTREP, SAR, etc and ASW/ASUW but they're totally different)

Cheers

KPax
29th Apr 2015, 18:00
'Yes. But the UK still has a very capable SAR force. Silly statement to make.' Sorry I missed the purchase of a new MPA and whilst the Coastguard are a very professional outfit how up to date on military SAR are their crews. I realise that a lot of them are ex Military so perhaps I should have said the UK has no military SAR.

alfred_the_great
29th Apr 2015, 18:14
No Mil SAR? That'll come as a shock to most of the Fleet Air Arm. Perhaps you meant the RAF have no SAR?

airpolice
29th Apr 2015, 18:37
No Mil SAR? That'll come as a shock to most of the Fleet Air Arm. Perhaps you meant the RAF have no SAR?

There might be some at Boulmer.

MG
29th Apr 2015, 20:07
Why do you they need military SAR? It's not as if the RAF's SARF had a CSAR role, so the Coastguard force will be performing exactly the same role during the exercise.

Rotate too late
29th Apr 2015, 22:29
Who did our CSAR cover in Libya?
MG I'm assuming that the OP is talking about training with CSAR, which we do not have, sadly.

chopper2004
29th Apr 2015, 23:24
The 'Heath lot did CSAR coverage during Ellamy, and one or two of their HH-60G cross decked on OCEAN.

Pair of CV-22 were deployed sunny Suffolk around the period of Ellamy and probably headed south, so on top of whatever customers they had, I imagine that they had some secondary CSAR/PRV mission

The Armee de l;Air probably brought to the table EC725 and SA330 from their CSAR unit .

Also the USMC MEU has a TRAP -Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel teams aboard their LHA in the Med with the Air Combat ELement of 53 Echos, MV-22, AH-1 Whiskeys, UH-1N etc etc,

Take your pick )

Cheers

Junglydaz
30th Apr 2015, 15:16
I seem to recall there being several RN CHF assets on Op Ellamy too. These boys (and girls) can perform CSAR activity.:ugh:

orca
30th Apr 2015, 16:48
Junglydaz,

The assets split when one amphib went east and the other stuck around in the Med. Don't think any SK were left behind but could be wrong and realise that Lynx could do 'a job'. I think you have a valid point but am unsighted on how much dedicated JPR training the CHF do. I'm sure they'd make a fist of the job but surely you'd rather have someone who lives and breaths the stuff come and get you. (Actually you'd just like to be got - but you know what I mean).

The Italians also had a JPR capability and the asset list above for USMC TRAP omits the AV-8Bs, also used by the Italian package.

Interesting is it not dear reader that of the JPR assets available four were deployed feet wet. Cast your mind forward to our new era of Carrier Strike - peculiar that we don't have a dedicated asset to call on IMHO. If I had my say our small island nation would have MPA and a JPR asset as the top priorities bar none...but then again, no one has asked so I'll stay shtum.

Rotate too late
30th Apr 2015, 16:56
Ref your last Orca, AMEN!
Quick, grab the A10's whilst no one is looking!!!!!!!

alfred_the_great
30th Apr 2015, 20:42
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Apache_Helicopter_Takes_off_from_HMS_Ocean_During_Operation_ Ellamy_MOD_45153052.jpg

Look at the port and stbd quarter - MH-60s.

chopper2004
1st May 2015, 07:16
Alfred,

They're the HH-60Gs not Mh-60 from the 'Heath during the sojourn off the coast of Libya and I was on board said super carrier (lol the following year and saw the nice thank you squadron plaque and photos

http://www.lzdzonline.co.uk/845-nas-host-american-airforce-rescue-sqn/

Cheers

MATELO
1st May 2015, 08:23
There might be some at Boulmer.

What looked like Rescue 131(?) out of Boulmer was circling the RVI hospital, Newcastle Upon Tyne yesterday afternoon at 2.30pm.

alfred_the_great
1st May 2015, 14:45
My bad, thanks for the clarification.

tyne
2nd May 2015, 07:42
I've seen the S92 out over the NE coast and 202sq lately.

What's the score? Is military SAR staying for a bit longer?