PDA

View Full Version : CargoLux says no to batteries. When will we?

SubsonicMortal
29th Apr 2015, 13:50
Freight operator Cargolux is preparing to suspend transport of lithium-ion battery consignments in light of recent re-assessment of the potential hazards they pose.

The rest of the article here (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/cargolux-bans-lithium-ion-batteries-after-fire-analysis-411658/)

Will this be copied by airlines as quickly as the "two-crew-always" policy after the GermanWings tragedy? Probably not but wouldn't it be nice...

bvcu
29th Apr 2015, 17:02
already did a month or so ago , means we can't ship our own a/c emergency light battery packs .

vfenext
29th Apr 2015, 17:33
Sub, read the article it's only a temporary suspension. You might also like to read your own company regs.

TRY2FLY
29th Apr 2015, 18:18
They'll probably get the Italian arm to carry them instead

Mark in CA
2nd May 2015, 07:56
A growing number of airlines have also said they will no longer accept bulk battery shipments, including Delta, United, Cathay Pacific, Qantas, British Airways and Cargolux.
US testing of lithium batteries alarms aviation officials (http://news.yahoo.com/us-testing-lithium-batteries-alarms-aviation-officials-200358046--finance.html)

SubsonicMortal
2nd May 2015, 09:04
Sub, read the article it's only a temporary suspension. You might also like to read your own company regs.

The suspension, whether temporary or not, was not what I was drawing discussion to. W.r.t the company regs, I see this NOTAM on every OFP package:

LITHIUM METAL BATTERIES UN3090 AND LITHIUM ION BATTERIES UN3480. CREW SHALL NOT ACCEPT LITHIUM METAL BATTS UN3090 OR LITHIUM ION BATTS UN3480 FOR CARRIAGE ON ANY ** ACFT (PAX OR CARGO). LITHIUM BATTS (UN 3481 / 3091) ARE ACCEPTABLE FOR CARRIAGE I.A.W. IATA DG MANUAL.

So, as far as my interpretation goes, I understand that Lithium Ion batteries with UN ID 3481 and 3091 can still be carried.

ironbutt57
2nd May 2015, 10:29
the UPS shipments were undeclared...wonder how many times other shipments are undeclared...