PDA

View Full Version : Window seats in BA Club World A380

Backtrack
29th Apr 2015, 11:28
I'm travelling with 3 others (my wife, my cousin and her husband) to Washington in June to attend a family wedding. We've all booked Club World/Business Class seats for the outbound flight.

As the 'aviator' in the group, I've been allocated the task of reserving the seats.

HELP! :}

I've been given 3 preferred conditions:

1. We all sit together,
2. The ladies would each like a window seat and
3. The ladies don't want to look out over the wing.

The main deck seats (rows 10 - 15) all appear to look out over the wing, so I've moved upstairs.

On the upper deck, rows 56 - 59 also appear to be over the wing, but do have the advantage of an elevated view.

Rows 50 - 53 appear to offer the best solution, but the choice of available seating left restricts us to seats 50J/K and 51J/K.

I've been advised that seats 50J/K do have 'privacy' issues (proximity to stairs/washroom) and 50K doesn't have a window, so are we better off by taking a compromise and sitting somewhere in rows 56 - 59 (lots of options still available in these rows)?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation.

Background Noise
29th Apr 2015, 14:06
Seatguru.com would be good start - this is for a BA380 but you might want to search your actual flight number in case there are differing layouts:
SeatGuru Seat Map British Airways Airbus A380-800 (388) (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Airbus_A380_new.php)

Bealzebub
29th Apr 2015, 14:26
Also a reminder that each seat reservation will cost you upwards of £55.

Backtrack
29th Apr 2015, 14:37
Did the seatguru check...that's one reason for asking the question here: these type of sites (tripadvisor etc) are useful, but it's sometimes difficult to differentiate a genuine critique from an individual having a whinge.

Yep, aware of the cost, but getting this right will avert marital suicide! :ok:

Thanks for the tips anyway,

highflyer40
29th Apr 2015, 15:09
Well only you can decide. Easy choice. If you want windows not over the wing there is only ONE choice. If that isn't the priority then you have lots of seats available. I would go for 13 and 14 E and F if you want to be sat together and able to talk. (A benefit of 13 EF is that they have direct aisle access unlike all the other pairs in the middle)

lomapaseo
29th Apr 2015, 17:48
Whats with the charge for seat selection in business?

Did i read this wrong?

If there is a charge then I will book my business flights elsewhere

wub
29th Apr 2015, 18:21
If it's any help this is the view from seat 59 on the Upper Deck. Bear in mind you have three windows so you can vary the angle slightly

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/wub_01/A3802_zps6due8uok.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/wub_01/A3801_zpslq94zkae.jpg

SET 18
29th Apr 2015, 18:25
Well, if you want specific seats then yes, there is a charge. This prevents those in the 'know' from bagging their preferred seats e.g exit seats or front row seats (often the same as everyone else would prefer) The airline (along with many others) feels that it's fair that a specified seat reservation sold be paid for. I think the fact that many people still pay to reserve particular seats shows that they were right.

If, however you just pitch up or don't mind where you sit in your particular cabin then there is no charge, and you will be allocated a seat on the day whilst your requests are accommodated if possible. Just like one used to check-in. Seems fair enough to me...

Backtrack
29th Apr 2015, 19:05
Thanks Wub,

Really useful photos! :ok:

Ioma: good point, but as the tickets were 'bought' with the wife's airmiles, I'm under a bit of pressure...know what I mean? :hmm:

obgraham
29th Apr 2015, 19:05
Also a reminder that each seat reservation will cost you upwards of £55.At the price paid for RT Business Class these days, I wouldn't think an extra 55 quid would make a difference!

highflyer40
29th Apr 2015, 19:28
And all the others are going this way as well. So in a few years you won't be able to avoid it

Bealzebub
29th Apr 2015, 22:12
At the price paid for RT Business Class these days, I wouldn't think an extra 55 quid would make a difference!

You wouldn't think they would do it then? They don't charge extra in First class and that is usually (not always) even pricier. By the way, the £55 isn't for RT Business class, it is for one way business class. If you want to select your seats for "RT" then it is at least £110 each! Although I think backtrack's party were only booking "C" one way, for a family of four booking R/T, another £440 is quite a bite.

ZFT
30th Apr 2015, 00:33
And all the others are going this way as well. So in a few years you won't be able to avoid it

Really? I don't recall ever paying for seat selection in business on any Star alliance carrier.

etimegev
30th Apr 2015, 17:46
Perhaps Mrats/QANTAS is the way to go. When booking you can select your preferred seat and it doesn't cost extra. That service is also available in cattle class.

Charging for a particular seat smacks of MOL profit "enhancement"

highflyer40
30th Apr 2015, 18:47
Actually Qantas does charge for advanced seat selection in economy, along with Virgin, and Lufthansa

Backtrack
30th Apr 2015, 18:59
Ladies & Gents

It wasn't my intention to start a debate about additional charges. I was just seeking some advice from folks in the know about the best solution.

I could have avoided any charges by waiting until 24 r prior to STD & taking a punt on what's left. Given the facts that the 'best' seats had already been taken, we're a family group going to a family wedding, our flight tickets have cost us buttons because we've used airmiles, paying extra to keep everyone happy - although it goes against the grain - is a small price worth paying.

Thanks for your contributions: they've been really helpful.

etimegev
30th Apr 2015, 19:38
Actually Qantas does charge for advanced seat selection in economy

Must be because I'm a QANTAS frequent flyer then

highflyer40
30th Apr 2015, 22:36
Yep. Must be, just like seat selection is free on BA for gold and silver members.. The others just do it in economy right now. But wait until the accountants realise how much they are losing by not charging in all classes. Obviously the punters keep coming because BA has been doing it for a few years now and if the loads were down the would have gotten rid of it.

Basil
2nd May 2015, 13:55
wub, Wherezat wi' a' the boats 'n rigs? :)

wub
2nd May 2015, 16:36
It's Hong Kong

Basil
2nd May 2015, 21:39
wub, Thank you; wouldn't have recognised it.