PDA

View Full Version : Virgins ageing B747'S

The Big Easy
29th Apr 2015, 11:20
Any idea what Virgin will replace the B744's with? Sorry if this has been answered else where.

roverman
29th Apr 2015, 17:37
Possibly the B747-8I but my money would be on the B777X. The former gives slightly more payload-range than the -400 for slightly lower costs, the latter gives nearly the same for substantially less operating cost. The -8I would be available sooner and no doubt at an attractive price - they are not exactly flying off the shelves, but if VS can hang on then the 777X is probably the better buy long-term.

NWSRG
29th Apr 2015, 19:33
Are the LHR 744s not to be retired within the next two years? I thought the 789s were to replace both the 744s and the A346s.

The LGW 744s are younger and will be around for a good while yet, as they've recently had a full interior overhaul...777X is a possible there, but what about 787-10? Is there any current LGW route that the 787-10 couldn't manage? Not sure about LAS, but everything else would certainly be ok. A350-1000 may be in the mix too, given the A330 fleet.

116d
4th May 2015, 20:03
To answer the OP's question: that hasn't been decided upon yet. I wouldn't say they're all "ageing" given that the youngest (G-VROC) is 12 years old.

4 of the 5 LHR-based 744s are due to leave the fleet soon with the outstanding 744 being re-configured and transferred to LGW.

The LGW-based 744s were refitted with new interiors and new IFE about 2-3 years ago, so I expect these to stay in service until at least the end of the decade.

As to what will replace them, I reckon it'll either be 777s (either end-of-line 77W's or the 777X) or the A350-1000. As much as I'd have loved to have seen VS operate the A380, I'm becoming resigned to that not happening and I think it's just a matter of time before they're officially cancelled.

In any case, it'll be a sad day when the last VS 747 is retired given that it was the aircraft they started off with and has been an integral part of the fleet throughout its history to date.

Skipness One Echo
4th May 2015, 21:19
Possibly nothing, the Gatwick operation offers nothing whatsoever to Delta, so why would they bankroll a multi million $ replacement when they serve the House of Mouse via ATL. Like BA, LGW has been the poor cousin of LHR. Was left with only leisure routes, then second hand B742s, second hand Icelandic B742s, then eventually B744s only because they got a cancelled Alitalia order.

So on past form, LGW will get the ex LHR A330s, or nothing, especially now there's no synergy with Delta.

EMB-145LR
4th May 2015, 22:23
And yet the LGW operation is one of the most profitable and successful parts of VS. Las Vegas commands some of the highest yields within the company, especially in the J cabin.

PhilW1981
4th May 2015, 22:24
Was on G-VWOW yesterday and still seemed in decent shape.

Skipness One Echo
4th May 2015, 23:58
If Vegas is as profitable as you say, and that's commercially sensitive information so perhaps not 100% true unless you work for VS in the relevant dept, why's it still at Gatwick? They flew that route with a clapped out interior for way longer than they should have before eventually refreshing the beach fleet.

Having said that fares are often very high, the market does lay a premium to fly direct and with Virgin, look at GLA and BFS fares, MAN had amways done well too. My gut feeling though is Richard Anderson will ask "How do I benefit from this if I invest $$$$ major money in a fleet replacement?" I might be wrong, but is it a focus they'll want to keep? Probably, keeps their FF base happy just like BA.

Flightmech
5th May 2015, 00:54
Who is Richard Anderson?

EMB-145LR
5th May 2015, 01:22
Skipness One Echo, yes, I did previously work at VS (before my flight deck days) and it was a well known and accepted fact that LGW-LAS was one of the highest earning routes within the company. Now granted, this was before BA started flying to LAS from both LHR and LGW. At the time Virgin had a total monopoly on the route. It was constantly full in all three cabins. And yes, the leisure fleet was woefully outdated in terms of the cabin fit. Thankfully they've updated it now and my friends who are still at VS tell me that the LAS route continues to be one of the most patronised.

Trust me, Virgin do very well out of Gatwick. Granted they don't have a large network down there, but they know which routes work for them and they execute that well. The loads from LGW are consistently some of the highest in the network.

Regarding your comment about why they haven't moved the route to LHR if it's so successful; they don't have to. Leisure passengers aren't as discerning as business PAX, they are generally point to point customers, very few requiring onward connections. Have you ever wondered why BA haven't moved ANU, BGI, MCO etc to LHR? Well it's for exactly the same reason. Simply put they don't have to and there are routes that demand the hub connectivity of Heathrow much more than these leisure destinations.

Flightmech, Richard Anderson is the CEO of Delta Air Lines.

Fairdealfrank
5th May 2015, 20:57
Regarding your comment about why they haven't moved the route to LHR if it's so successful; they don't have to. Leisure passengers aren't as discerning as business PAX, they are generally point to point customers, very few requiring onward connections. Have you ever wondered why BA haven't moved ANU, BGI, MCO etc to LHR? Well it's for exactly the same reason. Simply put they don't have to and there are routes that demand the hub connectivity of Heathrow much more than these leisure destinations.
For BA and VS to move their leisure-heavy West Indies destinations to LHR, it would have to be expanded. Without a 3rd rwy there, these destinations will remain at LGW, for exactly the reasons you mention.

renodnol
29th May 2015, 23:37
The A380 order still hasn't been cancelled - nothing to suggest it will ever be fulfilled but is any idea of when it will be formally cancelled/converted into something else?