PDA

View Full Version : CX cabin crew sit-in

Oval3Holer
28th Apr 2015, 21:02
Threats fly over CX crew meals

Jasmine Siu

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Cathay Pacific Airways Flight Attendants Union is threatening a massive sit-in if the management does not address changes to meal allowances and to new employment contracts.
At yesterday's press conference attended by 300 members, union honorary secretary Michelle Choi Yan-ling said the union feels that the time has come for action rather than words.

"We understand that matters involving money will take time to settle, but if the management fails to even show sincerity we will call for a massive sit-in or even other industrial action," Choi said.

Cathay Pacific reported an attributable profit of HK$3.15 billion last year and promised a salary increase averaging 4.5 percent for 90 percent of its Hong Kong staff.

But the union found that since February the company has significantly reduced meal allowances by an average of 18 percent for cabin crew members posted to Melbourne, Australia, and the practice is reportedly being extended to Nagoya, Japan, as well as Paris, France.

Instead of adhering to a 1986 agreement to offer meal allowances covering hotel coffee shop menus, the company is now offering allowances that cover only lounge menus, where the food offered is much less filling, according to cabin crew members.

Between February 1 and April 30, the union estimates the company has saved more than HK$1.1 million in meal allowances, based on prices cited from the Sofi's Lounge menu at Sofitel Melbourne.

It also found that cabin crew members who are switching to long-term contracts, after their initial three-year service, have different rates if they renewed them after April 2 this year.

Rates per flying hour have dropped from HK$176.80 to HK$159.30, while ground duty allowance has dropped from HK$88.40 to HK$79.65.

The union estimates at least 1,100 cabin crew members, who are currently on probation, will be affected.

The union has also spotted the removal from operation manual of a legal protection clause covering circumstances involving unruly passengers.

"If a cabin crew member is assaulted by a passenger, the company will help call the police but tell him/her to find a lawyer and pay for the legal costs," Choi said.

"This is entirely unreasonable."

A Cathay spokeswoman said it is looking into the manual's changes in wording.

"Our commitment to our staff involved in incidents whilst on duty has not changed," she said.

Threats fly over CX crew meals - The Standard (http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=4&art_id=156547&sid=44356192&con_type=1&d_str=20150429&fc=2)

asianeagle
28th Apr 2015, 23:36
this will interesting!

Lowkoon
29th Apr 2015, 00:17
In KA's case, they removed the pilots allowance completely, citing it was too hard to administer, while increasing the FA's allowance significantly. Our response also included sitting, sitting on our ass and doing sweet fanny adams. Ka also signed of on half the 'average' percentage increase, as we were offered a carrot (staff travel) that has yet to materialise.

George Bush's "Fool me once" springs to mind. We of course will do nothing about it, and the company know it, they have played us for the fools we collectively are and won 2 years of frozen wages while by their own admission 90% of the company get 4.5% or more.

https://freelancechristianitydotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/foolmeoncesmirk1.jpg

broadband circuit
29th Apr 2015, 02:47
The reality is that the girls will actually do it if necessary.

Good on them I say. Let's support them.

Average Fool
29th Apr 2015, 03:52
How embarrassing.

For the pilots.

Maybe the pilots need to be the ones wearing the skirts.

Shep69
29th Apr 2015, 07:58
Touche' AF. Especially those answering phones, working G days, and picking up trainer slots.

Good on the F/As and I wish them luck.

Soul planet
29th Apr 2015, 08:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBGVKEZ5D6U

BBGVKEZ5D6U

Emirates
Average 8 flights / month
Average layover 24hours!!!

Lowkoon
29th Apr 2015, 09:45
Soul Planet, we don't want our part of the world to deteriorate to the level of manager employee relations that exist in the middle east. People here want to make this company a career and want to protect the terms and conditions they have fought hard for. The middle east has collectively reduced a career role to that of a holiday backpacker summer job. They are ok with that level of staff turnover, it is their chosen business model and works for them. If you are going to contribute to this forum, or any other, compare apples with apples please. There is always going to be examples in life of another group doing it tougher, it is that mentality that causes the rot we see in this industry. Rather than supporting those other groups to lift them to higher levels, as an industry, we join the destructive race to the bottom that only feeds the continual terms and conditions degradation in every department except management that we unfortunately see industry wide.

asianeagle
29th Apr 2015, 10:56
No one is going to die from shorter layovers, when the rest of the world has been doing that for decades.

no, they just won't live as long!

I am curious Soul Planet, are you cockpit crew, cabin crew or just a f:mad:ckwit?

deptrai
29th Apr 2015, 11:14
I'm also curious soul planet, what's your motivation, and why do you need to use that screaming bold typeface, and post glorious videos? If someone would call you dimwit I'd be hesitant to disagree, before I know more.

Soul planet
29th Apr 2015, 11:27
BOLD to make a point.
If you folks are so good at making points on pprune, why not help us negotiate a better deal? I am also curious, are you A SCALE, B SCALE, C SCALE OR NO SKILL. pun intended

burgerbun
29th Apr 2015, 11:34
Soul planet,

Crawl back under your rock!

Shutterbug
29th Apr 2015, 11:52
I wish them the very best. Some more solidarity would not be a bad thing. In the end, all line staff are in the same boat. Deteriorating contracts while the company continues to rake in record profits. It's obscene.

deptrai
29th Apr 2015, 12:02
Having nothing better to do than to watch the full video Soul Planet posted, there are some disturbing points:

"Obviously being a young crew we don't require a lot of sleep". Cheers to emirates for their "honest" propaganda.

And yes solidarity is a good thing.

Fl00
29th Apr 2015, 13:28
All of the cabin crew I speak indicate the layover allowances are really what allows them to make ends meet, as the pay is so pitiful. So any shorter layover's or reduction in allowance is simply a pay cut. Perhaps if CX Payed them a livable wage to begin with they would be able to save on allowance and hotel costs down line.

asianeagle
29th Apr 2015, 13:39
BOLD to make a point.
If you folks are so good at making points on PPRuNe, why not help us negotiate a better deal? I am also curious, are you A SCALE, B SCALE, C SCALE OR NO SKILL. pun intended

not sure what your point is here, but you answered my question, you're a
f:mad:ckwit .

SloppyJoe
29th Apr 2015, 15:32
why not help us negotiate a better deal?

Why should anyone do that? HKA and HKE pilots seem to be able to live in HKG on less than us so why get a better deal?

Like others have said, f:mad:kwit.

Mr Angry from Purley
29th Apr 2015, 17:02
Deptrai

"Obviously being a young crew we don't require a lot of sleep". Cheers to emirates for their "honest" propaganda

There is plenty of scientific research out there that "younger" people are more flexible with their sleep.

The concerning thing was more that they try to adapt to the local TZ when again the science supports remaining on base TZ particularly if the stopovers are "short" (<48hrs)

CodyBlade
30th Apr 2015, 03:35
He 's a wannabe [for 30 over years] be but too fat to get into FA uniform.

Kitsune
30th Apr 2015, 13:15
He's a perfect candidate for my 'Ignore' list, and he's been elected to that position unopposed... :cool:

Soul planet
30th Apr 2015, 13:54
Are you very sure there is something as too fat to get into FA uniform? Based on what i see, i think they manufacture the size up to XXL ! And how did i get attacked from asking mere questions? - How did the rest of the world in aviation do shorter layovers with better service and attitude?? If this is such an offensive question, thou shall not have any right of speech either? :)

12wheeler
30th Apr 2015, 16:52
Soul Planet:

You spent the last 2 years and countless number of posts trying to rubbish the CA. By now you should have realized you are wasting your time here. You obviously have personal issues with them. Why don't you just go to the cabin crew forums and tell them what you think. Please leave us alone. We are tired of your rubbish.

Soul planet
30th Apr 2015, 17:57
A forum is supposed to be light hearted and has the freedom of speech. Stating facts that you don't like to reciprocate doesn't mean i am evil or demeaning. Nothing that I have mentioned is fabricated. But if i have truly hurt YOU, im sorry.

There are you typical guys who love bashing our poor SOs and poking fun at their roster, lifestyle and upgrade time. What about you? Are you wasting time delivering your comments? Are you stigmatising all SOs while unfairly clasifying them as shoe box tenants with too much free time on their hands?

OK lets be serious now,

The only comment that make sense is this
we don't want our part of the world to deteriorate to the level of manager employee relations that exist in the middle east. People here want to make this company a career and want to protect the terms and conditions they have fought hard for. The middle east has collectively reduced a career role to that of a holiday backpacker summer job. They are ok with that level of staff turnover, it is their chosen business model and works for them. If you are going to contribute to this forum, or any other, compare apples with apples please. There is always going to be examples in life of another group doing it tougher, it is that mentality that causes the rot we see in this industry. Rather than supporting those other groups to lift them to higher levels, as an industry, we join the destructive race to the bottom that only feeds the continual terms and conditions degradation in every department except management that we unfortunately see industry wide.

AND,
If you want me to reply with intelligence, i dont think the emirates model is similar to a backpacking job. Many of them have stayed for years and decades. Give it 4-5 years, you are basically stuck in a job unless you are willing to start over somewhere (after your backpacking job), works like our seniority. So i dont think theres a huge difference in the turnover rate between different airlines. Look, we are working for a business, not a charity. There are bills to pay too.

NOW,
Would someone elaborate please, the business model of airlines affecting turnover rates? I do see companies having detoriating contracts but exponential number of applicants.

Soul planet
30th Apr 2015, 18:32
THE EFFECT OF AIRLINE PILOT CHARACTERISTICS ON PERCEPTIONS OF JOB SAFETY RISKS (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.488.5022&rep=rep1&type=pdf)

THE EFFECT OF AIRLINE PILOT CHARACTERISTICS ON PERCEPTIONS OF JOB SAFETY RISKS

I reckon you to read this if you have too much free time here