PDA

View Full Version : Susi Air job

abby001
26th Jan 2015, 07:34
Good day everyone.

I need verification on following from people who are currently in SUSI or have been there and have info about it.

1. I heard they don't hire Indians and people from around that area, (I'm not Indian but I come from MiddleEast and not an Arab, with a South African license) does it mean they only hire white, Europeans or this just applies to Indians?

2. They say they only accept pilots with at least 250 hours, but I read somewhere someone from susi air said they accept people who have their license with under 250 hours, provided they brings their hours up to 250 hours before starting of training, is this accurate as well or 250 is needed upon accepting of CV?

3. How long do they take to reply to a CV submission? I hear we should wait for at least 3 weeks up to 3 months!

4. If one is married or so, does it mean his CV gets rejected right away or he still has a chance provided he doesn't bring the wife to Indonesia?

5. What are the limitations on max age and max hours to apply to susi air?

6. Does having an Instructor Rating or bush flying experience in Africa help more?

I'm sure these questions are in so many of the pilot's minds who want to apply for a job with Susi Air.

Thanks in advance.

RFN
26th Jan 2015, 23:42
G'day mate. I just saw on program on a paid TV channel (Foxtel) about Susi Air. Last night was the first program in a series of programs (In OZ at present).

Whilst I can't speak from personal experience (apart from watching the show) one of the Captains was 37 years old and had held a commercial licence for only 3 years. Most of the new hires had bare minimum experience, and mostly from the UK.

looks like fun flying, so good luck!

HardCorePawn
27th Jan 2015, 05:33
The TV show was made by a UK based production company, (originally) for the UK TV market... So they focused on UK pilots...

The vast majority of air crew are, at the current time, South African or from continental Europe (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Belgian, Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, German, Czech, Hungarian to name just a few of the European nationalities)...

There are guys and girls from all over tho... Including Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Canada, Hong Kong, USA, Korea, Japan etc...

lilflyboy262...2
28th Jan 2015, 03:33
The reason they don't hire indians is because of the difficulty of obtaining work permits for them. Thats all.

Answer for 6) Hours are hours. They don't really care. It will help you immensely when you are in Papua though.

ghyde
28th Jan 2015, 04:32
TV series "Worst Place to be a Pilot" is available on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBu-2EP_eMU

May give you some background.

abby001
5th Feb 2015, 16:15
Thanks everyone, I saw the documentary, so much of inspiration for me.
still my biggest dream is to fly with Susi air as a pilot.

LowLevelAviator
30th Apr 2015, 17:59
Thank you Love PanAm, but I doubt any wannabe is unaware of the new requirements.
Too bad some of us were trying to get to that 250 hours desperately to get in an interview with Susi air. And good luck to ones that apply.

wantobe
1st May 2015, 07:30
I know people have got interviews with less than that time.

pilotchute
1st May 2015, 09:37
Maybe because 750 hours is a recent change wantobe

LowLevelAviator
2nd May 2015, 07:20
I know people have got interviews with less than that time.

Yeah it was before Susi became minister of something. I suppose it's the new Management team that did this. The rule has been there for over a month I think.

ZK-WPM
19th May 2015, 23:35
I have 300hrs and am attending an interview on the 28th/5. Anyone else going?

Sparsh
21st May 2015, 08:53
wow how did u manage that? I am assuming u are from NZ?

ZK-WPM
21st May 2015, 21:42
Yea im from NZ. Im not sure how or why I got invited, just luck I guess. Everyone is talking about the 750TT but I know of a couple of people in the last intake(Feb) that had less. Ill let you all know the situation when I get back.

Sparsh
22nd May 2015, 08:26
Yes please that will be great i have a NZ CPL with c cat instructor rating and am just about to do my MEIR so any more info would be great :)

Sparsh
30th May 2015, 09:52
Any update ZK-WPM?

gehenna
30th May 2015, 10:42
What experience do you have, Sparsh?

Sparsh
31st May 2015, 02:20
pmd you @gehenna

Feather44
3rd Jun 2015, 05:07
I find it funny they require a "Level 5 Eng" to work in papoua :rolleyes:

Anyway, it surely is a very good and chalenging experience.
Best of luck to all applicants...

mchou83
3rd Jun 2015, 06:49
Hi all,
Anyone received their invitation for interview lately?
Received mine just now, but notify time is quite short, only a month to prepare and booking transportation to the headquarter .

Good luck:ok:

TheBiggerD
3rd Jun 2015, 21:20
abby001
Answer to question #1 may be this:
You Can Get a Pilot License in India After Just 35 Minutes in Air - Bloomberg Business (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-01/pilots-qualified-to-fly-in-india-after-just-35-minutes-in-air)

lilflyboy262...2
4th Jun 2015, 06:10
@Feather,

Probably so you have a reasonable level of english to work out what exactly is being said to you.
Also, outside of the main airport environments, communication is pretty important with the other pilots in the area.

Lepechou
7th Jun 2015, 05:40
Was wonderin what is your cover letter lookin like for the one who got invited for the interview. :D thanks pals.

mchou83
10th Jun 2015, 02:02
FYI
FO training bond 2500USD
Capt. 1500 USD
total 4000 USD

FO 1135/m
Capt 2400/m

I love to fly 101
17th Jun 2015, 11:59
Does anyone have an interview on the 30th of June, 1st & 2nd of July in Pangandaran?

RHSandLovingIt
18th Jun 2015, 11:38
The FO scale is based on TT at time of joining.

<500TT: USD850/mth (maybe 900?)
500-1000TT: 1135/mth
>1000TT: 1285/mth

Note: all salaries being converted to and paid in IDR in the very near future due to "new govt regulations"

The company is apparently considering several options for how the USD amounts will be converted to IDR. No decision has been communicated to pilot group as yet.

These new govt rules come into effect as of July 1.

With regards to the teaching bonds, you have to be a captain for at least 12mths before you can get training bonds back.

PK-KAR
22nd Jun 2015, 08:44
Hmm...
Whatever happened to the no foreign pilots with under 250hrs on type?
Other small carriers get that slapped by the DGCA, why not Susi?
Is t because she's a minister now? :eek:
Or has the rules changed and they "forgot" to inform the other Part 135 operators?

lilflyboy262...2
23rd Jun 2015, 03:30
That was for aircraft over 12,500lbs.

F/O's are ok, Captains have to have a minimum of 1000hrs Single Engine.

pilotchute
23rd Jun 2015, 08:45
Applies to Twotter and that's under 12500lbs

lilflyboy262...2
25th Jun 2015, 01:55
By how many lbs? :hmm:

pilotchute
25th Jun 2015, 08:37
Most twotters are just below 12500 I believe. Even if they are bang on 12.5 that ok cause they have to be "over" 12.5 normally to go up a category.

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
26th Jun 2015, 10:50
Bang on 12,500

lilflyboy262...2
29th Jun 2015, 09:11
Exactly my point lol. Near enough is good enough over there.

fpuentegomez
29th Jun 2015, 16:15
The 250 hr rule in Indonesia is for, if memory serves me right, for aircraft certified for 30 seats or more, nothing to do with MTOW.

pilotchute
30th Jun 2015, 06:31
They just make it up as they go.

November Mike
1st Jul 2015, 13:28
Couldn't agree more......:ok: And yet another tragic accident in Indo, oh boy :uhoh:

Ansett737
2nd Jul 2015, 03:38
Even don't know the reasons of that crash, but definetely ALL indonesian carriers must be banned from flying abroad due the worst training standarts and safety issues!

Nicolaas900816
18th Aug 2015, 11:30
Hi guys,

Do Susi pilots get any other benefits like permanent accommodation etc?

Thanks

Selfmade92
18th Aug 2015, 16:59
How much can you afford with $1,500/month in Indonesia???

how much is rent?? probably not much less than 400/month? food? utilites and basics?

RHSandLovingIt
19th Aug 2015, 05:34
Company provides accommodation when you are "on tour". When you are on you "days off", it depends on if there is space at the base as to whether you can stay. Tours are either 3 weeks on, 1 week off or 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off, depending on the base.

Most guys/gals go touring around SE Asia or head home etc. during days off as the company accommodation is pretty "basic" and the cities/towns that the bases are in aren't for the most part what one would call tourist hotspots :P

You generally get breakfast (cereal, toast etc), lunch and dinner provided, although there is usually 1 day a week which is designated "maids day off" where you have to fend for yourselves ;)

For the most part, it is really only "entertainment" expenses, holiday travel and your cellphone charges that you need to pay for.

FOs don't have a permanent base (you can apply for one after flying at all of them). This does not guarantee you a permanent room though. Just that they will send you back to your permanent base for each tour.

Captain's usually get assigned a "permanent" room at their base. This generally just means they get priority on the room if they are on base (ie. any FO staying in there will have to move to a different room) and that they get a lockable wardrobe/cupboard that they can leave their **** in when going on holiday.

FOs basically play musical rooms all the time and you move about with all your stuff in your suitcase.

Then you go out on a 4-5 day tour to a satellite base, at which point you have to pack up all your stuff and vacate the room in case someone needs the room while you are away. When you get back, you could get a different room (maybe even in a different house).

You get good at learning to live with only 15Kgs of stuff and one suitcase :P

I know some guys opted to find their own accommodation when they had a permanent base (usually because they had wife and/or kids). I believe the company gives you a "credit" for organising your own accommodation, but I'm not sure if they still do this or how much it is. I know a lot of the captain's based in Jakarta take the subsidy and find their own apartments.

Probably not a realistic option for an FO, as with the diff between the ACTUAL exchange rate of IDR13,800+ to USD1 (as at 18/08/2015) and the fixed conversion of IDR12,000 to USD1 that the company is using the current starting salaries are effectively (original value in brackets) only:

<500hrs TT ~USD780 (900)
500-1000hrs TT ~USD985 (1135)
1000+ TT ~USD1115 (1285)

The difference works out to a pay cut of, currently, just under 15% and getting worse every day :(

I also heard that new hires were no longer getting their return airfares to/from their allocated base to Jakarta (or Bali) at end of tour covered by the company. But that is just rumour as far as I know.

Tasmanian
19th Aug 2015, 07:24
Indonesia is quite cheap to live at all, good for you if you are single as many girls love 'bule' and you'll be The King there all the time! Country is great especially east of Bali to Papua! I didn't really like Jakarta and Java island itself during my stay there as it is really overcrowded and noisy!

Nicolaas900816
20th Aug 2015, 09:46
Thanks for the detailed reply RHSandLovingIt.

betterthandbest
2nd Nov 2015, 07:09
whats up wit the not hiring Indians thing,
are they still following that trend?

i have an FAA cpl
300 total time.

beebo
2nd Nov 2015, 13:29
Anyone here have experience in the rotary side?
Thanks

RHSandLovingIt
3rd Nov 2015, 06:25
Latest news from mgmt re: Rotary wing was that they had sold/leased one and only had the Koala left.

or it might have been the other way around... I wasn't really paying that much attention. :}

VHCookie monster
11th Dec 2015, 03:46
Hey guys,

This has been inactive for a while but I'll give it a go...

Got an interview in mid January.

Anyone else heading up then?
I'm into Jakarta on the 11th and out on the 16th.

There is a lot of worrying things I'm reading on here yet people still fly for them. Can someone give me an overall "is it worth it for the experience" summary?
I've only got 500 hours (270 turbine) and could really use the boost in hours.

Thanks in advance.

DeepUnderground
11th Dec 2015, 07:43
"Indonesia is quite cheap to live at all, good for you if you are single as many girls love 'bule' and you'll be The King there all the time! Country is great especially east of Bali to Papua! I didn't really like Jakarta and Java island itself during my stay there as it is really overcrowded and noisy!"

Not trying to contradict you too much, but I don't think many indonesian girls are chasing Bule's making 1000us/month...but who knows I moved here already married.

lilflyboy262...2
14th Dec 2015, 19:24
They think all Bule are rich... And the pilot thing is a bit of prestige.

RHSandLovingIt
16th Dec 2015, 02:33
The biggest bitch I had was the Indo concept of "we will pay you when we want to".
Where as I kind of like the "this is what you owe me and want it when it is due" concept.

I can confirm that this HASN'T been an issue in the last couple of years. The only reason you get paid after the 15th is when the 15th is on a Weekend/Public Holiday.

West Papua is one of a kind.
That is an understatement! :}

Massey058
16th Dec 2015, 16:18
I can confirm that this HASN'T been an issue in the last couple of years. The only reason you get paid after the 15th is when the 15th is on a Weekend/Public Holiday.

Perhaps not the case for FOs but has often been the case for many captains. At one point last year their were 40 people in direct dispute with the company over one minion directly meddling with things. Even the "CEO" at the time was powerless to achieve much in the way of rectification.

MX is not that bad considering where they are at...it could be better. But it is
better than others there.

Not quite the case anymore worryingly.

Susi is not as involved as before because she is to busy fishing, that may be a good thing. Heard the Baron took off to the Phillies which is a bad thing because he had his act together and really was the driving force to clean the airline up.

While the Baron has gone "the Minister" is just as involved as ever, sometimes she's too busy so the company just grinds to a halt. But she is very much involved and most of the "managing" occurs at her official ministerial residence.

whats up wit the not hiring Indians thing,
are they still following that trend?

I'm going to assume not a lot has changed in the last few months but it's a multi-faceted issue. Part of it is that the DGCA doesn't have the resources to verify pilots have the experience and qualifications they say they do. A bit of a debacle at Lion Air lead to the DGCA effectively saying no Indians. Susi Air had even before then put it in the too hard basket, there are just too many cases of illegitimate qualification and the knowledge that abinitio training may not have been entirely up to scratch. Sucks for the genuine pilots out there but that's how it us.

smiling monkey
17th Dec 2015, 12:50
Indonesia is quite cheap to live at all, good for you if you are single as many girls love 'bule' and you'll be The King there all the time! Country is great especially east of Bali to Papua! I didn't really like Jakarta and Java island itself during my stay there as it is really overcrowded and noisy!

You'll be King until the local ladies find out how much you really earn as an FO there. LOL .. heck they probably earn more than you from 'donations' from other bule Kings. LOL

RHSandLovingIt
18th Dec 2015, 00:40
heck they probably earn more than you from 'donations' from other bule Kings. LOL
You mean "Taxi Fare"?? :E

Perhaps not the case for FOs but has often been the case for many captains. At one point last year their were 40 people in direct dispute with the company over one minion directly meddling with things. Even the "CEO" at the time was powerless to achieve much in the way of rectification.

Ahhhh. Good to know that. Yeah, I should have qualified my statement. It has been OK for FOs. Can't comment too much on the Captain side of thing as I don't have the first hand information/experience (yet ;)) upgrades have slowed down a bit :ouch:

lilflyboy262...2
18th Dec 2015, 05:50
Which is surprising considering the exodus....

Massey058
18th Dec 2015, 08:36
Which is surprising considering the exodus....

Yeah there were about 20 or more departures up to October. Quite a few Captains and a not insignificant amount of FOs. Unless more aircraft have been parked up I would be worried that terms and conditions are in for another hit.

Massey058
19th Dec 2015, 10:33
Interesting.
Exodus at Susi Air. It is only about financial matters or other reasons like Depnaker and IMTA renewals?

Largely financial, the increasing mismanagement has played a role too.

Kryukov
20th Dec 2015, 03:28
Coming for an interview on 15th january. I have some questionnes: Is 4 level icao english is mandatory?
What is the price for training bond?
If it is important I fly Cessna Caravan in Russia. TT is about 800 hours.
Thanks. I appreciate any info!

RHSandLovingIt
20th Dec 2015, 03:39
To answer your questions:

Yes
US$2500

Kryukov
20th Dec 2015, 08:19
Sorry,there was a mistake. I asked about 5 level.
And do I have to pay 2500 at one time or they subtract it from my salary?

Massey058
22nd Dec 2015, 07:45
Or in USD and then conversion in rupiah?

The USD contract is converted to IDR without any official ammendment. It is converted at a rate of 1:12,000.

Credit Suisse forecast that despite a small rally back below 14,000 at the end of this year the Rupiah is likely to head back towards 15,000 next year.

And do I have to pay 2500 at one time or they subtract it from my salary?

There used to be the ability to subtract 500 at a time or something like that but they may need the lump sum at the moment. An additional 1500 will be required to upgrade. Plus I think nowadays you need to pay for the flight and transfer in the company van to Head Office and perhaps the accommodation at the company hotel too.

Massey058
30th Dec 2015, 07:31
2500 usd and 1500 usd . Confirm that it is 4000 usd just to be a captain on the C208. If you move on the Pilatus, do you need to pay more for the transition? Is the pay better in Papua as the risk is higher?

Yes, a $4000 outlay. You need to pay for your own tailwheel rating if you don't already have one. They have in the past then tried to bond you onto the Porter. But for the most part your C208 training bond is likely to still be in force anyway.

The Pay in Papua is now one of the lowest amongst other C208 operators and isn't much higher than the top scales outside of Papua. Pay was cut in the GFC, scales were rearranged and then the pay cut again with the dodgy conversion.

Love PanAm
12th May 2016, 01:18
I see many ads for Susi Air pilots.
Did they increase the pay?

edsbar
12th May 2016, 12:03
Yes they increased the amount YOU have to pay!:O

HVYMETAL
12th May 2016, 12:37
Just curious what's the deal with the latest part time flight instructor position?

Take home pay? Actual schedule? Aircraft?

I have another pretty good gig that leaves me long stretches of time off. So I'm aware of the negatives, but I can't help but be curious as I have family nearby. If you were a senior CA at Susi after say 5 years... What would you make in IDR?

RHSandLovingIt
12th May 2016, 21:58
It is a full time position. Full Time Instructor, Part Time "Pilot"... ie. you'll end up flying the Jakarta schedule (yay for 0440 pickups!) and/or charters as and when required.

Looks like you have to complete the initial training as well. So that'll be US$2500 training bond and then "permanent" assignment to Pangandaran.

At completion of First-Officer training program, the candidate will be employed as Full-Time instructor and First-Officer (depending on operational requirements).

I think Jakarta is still a 3/1 base... 3 weeks on, 1 week off. It's either that or 6/2. 6 on/2 off. Don't know if the instructors get paid any more than your average FO, but they dangle upgrade priority as a carrot.

Aircraft will be the C208B, although, I note that "flight" training is not part of this job description. It is all ground and sim based. You can't do the flight training part until you're a captain.

Responsible for accomplishment of aviation instruction consisting of ground school and simulator training for Initial, Recurrent or generic aircraft training courses. Measure training progress of students.

Last lot of initials I spoke to, were getting:

<500TT: ID$?? (I can't quite remember, I think it was around 10-11mil)
<1000TT: IDR$13,620,000
>1000TT: IDR$15,420,000

Captains getting from IDR$28,800,000 up (USD$2400 @12000 IDR rate)... I think Senior guys (excluding Papua) are up to around IDR$42,000,000 (USD$3500 @ 12000 IDR rate)

Love PanAm
13th May 2016, 03:13
Edsbar: hahaha. They will get more volunteers if they need to pay more.

Hvymetal: try one year first then see how yo stay 5 years. Good luck!

HVYMETAL
13th May 2016, 16:46
Thanks, I don't think it will work for me anyways but I appreciate the advice...

ShyTallKnight
15th May 2016, 05:10
Friends inside tell me that salaries are still less than they were a year ago, management is becoming more inexperienced and remains poor, obtaining work permits, KITAS etc for new hires is taking months (all the while no flying and on half pay) and the company is still desperately short of pilots. Money still an issue (?):

Govt threatens to shut down default-prone airlines - The Jakarta Post (http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2016/05/11/govt-threatens-to-shut-down-default-prone-airlines.html)