PDA

View Full Version : Bad Elf-defective and poor customer services

firemansam22
25th Apr 2015, 09:59
(Keep reading as Bad Elf became Good Elf) I have a Bad Elf GPS receiver that I plug into my IPad mini. It was purchased just over a year ago and sent from the US as it's much cheaper out there. Due to this I can't get proof of purchase. That aside unless bought direct through Bad Elf they don't want to know.
Using the GPS I have had no problems until flying from Manchester to the Isles Of Scilly and it simply stopped working. I emailed a Bad Elf helper to see if I can have it exchanged or even refurbished. As mentioned before if not purchased through them direct then you are on your own. So now I have a piece of black plastic was worth around £90 now not even worth recycling!
Do any of you fellow pilots know where I maybe able to get my GPS refurbished?
And as for Bad Elf I think you really need to address your product support. The units are yours which ever way you look at it and some options to have it refurbished at a cost would go further than you could imagine and put undoubtable faith in your products and the company name.

At the minute Bad Elf scores a readability 0

Amiri01
26th Apr 2015, 00:47
It has been reported on another forum that the latest update to the iPad (is it 8.1.3?) has buggered up the ability of the iPad to use external GPS sensors. Those iPads with integral GPSs are ok but external sensors are a problem.

Perhaps the issue is with the iPad, rather than your GPS. You might want to investigate a little more about the iPad issue before spending money on getting your GPS looked at.

firemansam22
26th Apr 2015, 08:28
I did report to bad elf what version of their software and which IOS I was running but they gave no advice as they thought this should be ok. I will investigate further. Cheers

dirkdj
26th Apr 2015, 08:54
If you have updated iOS to 8.3 you can downgrade to get it working again. iOS 8.3 bug not external GPS bug.

Globally Challenged
26th Apr 2015, 14:26
I think you only have a very narrow window of opportunity to downgrade your iOS as iTunes requires Apple to 'sign' your IPSW file and the overlap is only a few days after the release of a new one AFAIK

firemansam22
29th Apr 2015, 14:05
Bad elf have just got back to me and were delayed due to the amount of enquires due to the 8.3 latest version. At the time of my problem I did have 8.2 installed and I have now popped open the casing as thought I have nothing to loose and found a flexing connection. This was clearly the problem but now I have installed 8.3 and now trying to get rid of it but it's a bit deep for me. I know a man that can and yes you can still do it through idigitsltimes.
So from my discussions with bad elf there customer services has now rocketed and are 100% customer focused. For my next plug in GPS I am going to purchase an extension cable which should take any stress off the unit itself.

Well done Bad Elf you came up trumps in the end and recommend 100%. Now a bad elf user for life :ok::D