PDA

View Full Version : QXC complete, finally

Maulkin
23rd Apr 2015, 18:13
Looks like the aviation gods were kind on me today, on my 6th attempt I've finally managed to start and complete my QXC.

Despite the start of the day being OVC009, it cleared up to be FEW025 then CAVOK. At least this time the vis was 9999, rather than 2000, and the plane I had didn't have a broken nose wheel oleo seal.

This was EGSC -> EGBK (via Silverstone), EGBK -> EGSF (via EGBG and Spalding) then EGSF -> EGSC in G-SHWK.

A few memorable moments:

Having to fly directly over the CIT beacon at Cranfield to avoid jets
Turning overhead Silverstone :)
A "positive" landing at Sywell, but followed by fantastic food there, and a nice show from the blades who were doing a corporate day
Wittering Zone being unresponsive
Waddington Zone not being able to see my squawk for about 10nm
An inversion layer at around 3000' creating some interesting horizon effects
A report of traffic, 10 o'clock, 5 miles, same level, closing track, and seeing nothing due to the above for what seemed about 5 mins, but was actually 30 seconds or so.
A very warm welcome at Conington
A nice right base join on my return to Cambridge

Now just a couple of paper exams, my radio practical, some revision and a skills test! All in time for summer :)

Steve6443
23rd Apr 2015, 18:36
Congrats on your successful QXC, not long until you can start learning in earnest, huh? Just one comment:

A report of traffic, 10 o'clock, 5 miles, same level, closing track, and seeing nothing due to the above for what seemed about 5 mins, but was actually 30 seconds or so.

From 5 miles you aren't going to see anything until it's 2 miles away - unless it's an A380 ;-) I can't remember the number of times my PCAS has told me there's something 3 miles away, but I know it's pointless trying to spot it unless it's 2NM or closer....

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Apr 2015, 20:17
Beat me to it.

And one other:

Wittering Zone being unresponsive
Waddington Zone not being able to see my squawk for about 10nm

Yes, well, actually I tend to fly over the top of MATZs, that way you don't have to talk to them ...

No tailwind landings this time then?

thing
23rd Apr 2015, 20:20
Well done that man! :D

Pilot DAR
23rd Apr 2015, 22:28
Congrats Maulkin, it's a great feeling, isn't it! There're many more ahead...

Maulkin
23rd Apr 2015, 23:56
No tailwind landings this time then?

Nope, was all 5kts down the runway, or wind calm. Pretty perfect conditions.

Yes, well, actually I tend to fly over the top of MATZs, that way you don't have to talk to them ...

Not a problem in this case, but would have been nice for them to be around to give me a basic service. Waddington even tried to hand me over too them, but also failed to raise anyone. Oh well, all worked out ok.

Curlytips
24th Apr 2015, 20:30
I nearly got caught out on Wednesday. Although the very recent new half - million chart shows Wittering as 125.52, there is a NOTAM to say is now changed to 119.675. I was calling on original frequency and fortunately they heard me and told me to change.

Other following members of our boy's day out to Gamston weren't so lucky and flew along in ignorance. Sure enough the NOTAM was on Skydemon so we all should have slapped wrists...

Steve6443
24th Apr 2015, 23:25
Quote:
Not a problem in this case, but would have been nice for them to be around to give me a basic service. Waddington even tried to hand me over too them, but also failed to raise anyone. Oh well, all worked out ok.

Just considering whether I should broach the subject of the usefulness of a Basic Service? The Phrase "no good for man nor beast" springs to mind.....

thing
24th Apr 2015, 23:29
Other following members of our boy's day out to Gamston weren't so lucky

Well blow me, I was flying from Gamston on Wednesday. Didn't know you were there.

Curlytips
25th Apr 2015, 06:33
Thing - there were 5 aircraft In our balbo on Wednesday. 2 Robins, Europa, Cessna and Ximango. Eleven of us had a very nice lunch in the Apron. First time at Retford for ages, but will certainly go again.

Hope to see you Sunday - if front clears SE early enough!

ground_star
25th Apr 2015, 08:52
Wittering who are generally very good and lovely people to talk to were actually hopeless & unresponsive earlier in the week as well. Lots of standbys, forgotten callbacks, hurried and last minute MATZ crossing approvals etc. Lets hope its back to normal next week and last week was just really busy or something.

Flyingmac
25th Apr 2015, 18:41
Congratulations on the QXC. I did mine from Cambridge. One of my landings was at Ipswich. It was a while back.;)

No idea about your route as I lose interest when confronted with ICAO codes.
Save them for flight plans, there's a good chap.:)

Maulkin
26th Apr 2015, 11:47
Hah, ok :)

Cambridge -> Northampton Sywell -> Peterborough Conington -> Cambridge

condor17
26th Apr 2015, 17:41
Maulkin , congrats and well done on the patience stakes . One of our studes weather canx his QXC 15 times this winter .... finally successful in March !

Rgds condor .

Whopity
29th Apr 2015, 08:48
Funny how we still talk about the QXC. This was part of the old UK PPL that ceased in 1999. It was called a "Qualifier" because it was post the training and often the Flight Test. JAR made the ICAO 150 nm X-Ctry requirement part of the training where it has now been for 16 years! No doubt the QXC myth has been perpetuated by the ridiculous CAA certificate which was never a JAA or EASA requirement. Its original purpose being to verify an event that occurred after all training was completed.

airpolice
29th Apr 2015, 18:47
I think people refer to it as the QXC as it is described as that { correctly or not } in the syllabus.

The United Kingdom
National Private Pilot Licence
(Simple Single-engine Aeroplane) (SSEA)
Syllabus

NOTES
1. The Solo Navigation Briefing Certificate is to be left at the base aerodrome, when
completed.
2. The student should carry the NPPL (SSEA) Qualifying Cross Country Certificate on the
final qualifying cross country flight and return it duly completed to the authorising
instructor.

This syllabus, for the National Private Pilot Licence Simple Single-engine
Aeroplane (NPPL(SSEA)) conforms to the agreed requirements of the
United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) for the training of pilots
for the grant of a UK National Private Pilot Licence (SSEA). This syllabus is
acceptable to the Authority.